OW Confined dive concerns/questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have completed my 4 OW confined dives. Question 1 should all 4 confined dives been crammed into one day (10am-2pm)? and is a class size of 10 too large for 1 instructor?

I have passed my skills for the 4 confined dives but am not totally comfortable with all of them. (I had trouble with the alternate breathing source, put in in upside down the first time.)

Also should I say something to the owner about my concerns? We got in the pool, and after we all checked out with the 100 yd swim. immediately put on bc's and within a few minutes were checking out on skills- demonstrated one or twicew by instructor and then tested one at a time immediately after with no practice- is this normal??

also in the classroom portion of the course we rushed through (right before the quizzes and final the instructor went through the quiz book and pretty much gave us the answers (While I knew them already, I was a little concerned about this practice)- is this the usual for PADI certification classes.

any feed back would be appreciated- I want to know if i should take the class again elsewhere, report the school or if i am just being nervina.

Debbie
0 logged dives

4 dives is a violation of training standards for most agencies... maybe all and should be reported to the appropriate agency. PADI, SSI, NAUI and the rest do not allow more than 3 dives on a single day for students in training. I will be happy to assist you with how to approach this if you PM (private message) me. I'm glad you made it out OK... and think you should pursue continuing with a shop that does not violate standards. It is possible the owner is not aware of the situation... so to be fair, I would certainly say something to him/her.

4 dives is a violation of training standards for most agencies... maybe all and should be reported to the appropriate agency. PADI, SSI, NAUI and the rest do not allow more than 3 dives on a single day for students in training. I will be happy to assist you with how to approach this if you PM (private message) me. I'm glad you made it out OK... and think you should pursue continuing with a shop that does not violate standards. It is possible the owner is not aware of the situation... so to be fair, I would certainly say something to him/her.

As others have said previously, I am pretty sure that only applies to Open Water Dives. Having said that, One Instructor, 10 students with all the classroom and pool sessions in one day seems like a recipe for unhappy customers at best.

Wow, I just can't imagine getting through CD5 in 1 pool session with 10 students.
First night I'm happy to get the swims done and just start CD2.
I don't want more than 4 students in a pool by myself!!!
We max our course at 6 students. No, we don't roll in as much money, but we also don't have to worry about inadequate supervision of so many students. We also have a dm for every class, at that. you are right. 10 is a Lot of people, even within standards....

Update: I talked to the shop owner and the instructor- Both are willing to give me as much pool time as I need to be comfortable- the instructor called me to apologize and told me he would do whatever it took to get me to where I was comfortable with the skills. I am feeling much better about the whole situation. Thank you all for your help with this situation.

Debbie
Quite often, people get caught up in that push for more students, more commission, faster turn around cycle. They sometimes just need to be reminded that it is too much sometimes. I am glad you chose to talk to them and it worked out. It usually does.

I think some dive shops and dive instructors tried telling prospective students, while trying to market a longer (more expensive) course that produced better divers, and the majority found out it was "seriously uncompetitive." If you can afford to become a tech instructor, good on ya!

My employers were OK with me getting the students to pass the test in 4 hours from start. I'd piss them off on occasion by taking up to 5 hours. It's a 3-day course, what's to defend?

I get paid to do a job. From what I've seen most employers are annoyed when an instructor actually make the students perform to all Standards. The real instruction happens during all the interaction, including the diving portion of the dive; many of my fledglings still dive and stay in touch. Sometimes I feel like a double agent behind enemy lines, but one can only do so much with a 24 hour course. :D

I feel bad for you that you have to teach the hurry up courses. I understand that in a vacation setting, the people don't have time to extend training to truly acceptable amounts.

As an employer, I would Never be be annoyed at my instructors doing their jobs completely. I will be pissed and get rid of them if they Don't. My instructors do teach all skills to standard and beyond. And this is for more than one reason. 1- this is a person's life I am signing off on. I am saying that we have taught this student to be a confident, independent diver. I won't certify ANY one who I would not be willing to buddy with my 11 year old daughter on their first independent diver.
2- It's My name they put out to others about their course. My reputation is too important. 3- If I take the time to do it all right, they stay, dive, take more and more courses with me. I build a relationship. I know that is probably very hard to do for those in a vacation location.

Anything you're not comfortable with, your instructor has an obligation to make sure you feel 100% comfortable before performing your Open Water dives. More often than not, your worries are typically more founded in open water anxiety and less in your technical and practical confidence. If mistakes happen in open water, most experienced instructors will help you maintain your composure to try again and hopefully pass your qualification tests. Makes sure to study your student manuals as well - they should cover the technical side of everything that you'll be performing in open water dives. Cheers.

any feed back would be appreciated- I want to know if i should take the class again elsewhere, report the school or if i am just being nervina.

Debbie
0 logged dives

Well Debbie, this has been a long thread and some good information has been presented. Hopefully by now you've been certified.

My better half and I got certified a few years ago with the intention of getting certified to become volunteer divers at the local aquarium.

My partner is not one to physically take to anything like a duck to water. She wasn't comfortable. In hind sight, she probably shouldn't have passed her OW cert. She did.

Like you she wasn't comfortable with a lot of aspects of SCUBA.

We found through the various LDS, that they all nearly offered 'play time'. While they are conducting an OW class in the pool, they let you dive in the deep end.

The had hula hoops to swim through and torpedos to pass back and forth. At the end, they would even turn off the lights!

We went to these for a few months and got a fair amount of time underwater.

Her skills improved and so did her confidence.

I don't know what diving is like down there in Lousianna, but find your dive buddy your comfortable with and get out and dive.

Also, Scuba Board is a great resource.

Good luck!

Chris

As others have said previously, I am pretty sure that only applies to Open Water Dives. Having said that, One Instructor, 10 students with all the classroom and pool sessions in one day seems like a recipe for unhappy customers at best.

You're correct... I was confused by the poster stating "OW confined dives." This can actually mean a few things.

Open Water Class 4 confined dives may mean 4 pool dives or other similar confined water.

Some people use a "confined" quarry to complete open water checkouts.

No worries... if they were confined water dives it is within standards... but if these are the 4 checkout dives being conducted in a confined water quarry - then it is not within standards. Checkouts must be completed over two days.

The problem is that in our our rushed world of today... we're seeing more and more Instructors - especially PADI, NAUI and other indepdendents, doing a wham bam thank you mam' approach to training. Some are doing a Friday night classroom, Saturday in the pool and Sunday quarry or other open water checkout. Anywhere this is being done is a standards violation. The problem at the moment is that noone seems to care... and the customers don't know any better.

You're correct... I was confused by the poster stating "OW confined dives." This can actually mean a few things.

Open Water Class 4 confined dives may mean 4 pool dives or other similar confined water.

Some people use a "confined" quarry to complete open water checkouts.

No worries... if they were confined water dives it is within standards... but if these are the 4 checkout dives being conducted in a confined water quarry - then it is not within standards. Checkouts must be completed over two days.

The problem is that in our our rushed world of today... we're seeing more and more Instructors - especially PADI, NAUI and other indepdendents, doing a wham bam thank you mam' approach to training. Some are doing a Friday night classroom, Saturday in the pool and Sunday quarry or other open water checkout. Anywhere this is being done is a standards violation. The problem at the moment is that noone seems to care... and the customers don't know any better.

Says the person running a 2 weekend instructor course! :no:

I mite suggest that if you are not comfertable with any skill you could talk to your instructor like I did . My instructor invited me to his next pool setion the next week to work on the skill I had problems with , witch was free flowing reg. .I practeiced on it (under is watchfull eye, )then I got a lot of free swim time in to work some more on my buoyancy control. it woked out well and I got to meet more new divers and some more posible dive buddies

Talk to your instructor about the areas you are uncomfortable with. If they don't help find a recommended instructor. Once you hit open water its' on you! It's a matter of life and death!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom