OW Confined dive concerns/questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedebinator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have completed my 4 OW confined dives. Question 1 should all 4 confined dives been crammed into one day (10am-2pm)? and is a class size of 10 too large for 1 instructor?

I have passed my skills for the 4 confined dives but am not totally comfortable with all of them. (I had trouble with the alternate breathing source, put in in upside down the first time.)

Also should I say something to the owner about my concerns? We got in the pool, and after we all checked out with the 100 yd swim. immediately put on bc's and within a few minutes were checking out on skills- demonstrated one or twicew by instructor and then tested one at a time immediately after with no practice- is this normal??

also in the classroom portion of the course we rushed through (right before the quizzes and final the instructor went through the quiz book and pretty much gave us the answers (While I knew them already, I was a little concerned about this practice)- is this the usual for PADI certification classes.

any feed back would be appreciated- I want to know if i should take the class again elsewhere, report the school or if i am just being nervina.

Debbie
0 logged dives

There is no rush in the certification process. Take your time. Explain to your instructor you did not feel comfortable with the pool work. Repeat the pool work with another class or spend the money to have a private lesson.

The 4 open water dives will basically go over most of the skills you practiced in the pool - The big difference being the depth - 30'-40'.

I have passed my skills for the 4 confined dives but am not totally comfortable with all of them. (I had trouble with the alternate breathing source, put in in upside down the first time.)

This usually happens just once! Here is a video of air sharing by donating a primary on a long hose. Note specifically they way the regulator is removed and presented. The hand placement guarantees the S bend in the hose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqHa1kLLks&feature=related

BTW, Google for GUE video. These guys are GOOD!

Also should I say something to the owner about my concerns? We got in the pool, and after we all checked out with the 100 yd swim. immediately put on bc's and within a few minutes were checking out on skills- demonstrated one or twicew by instructor and then tested one at a time immediately after with no practice- is this normal??

Pretty much run of the mill. This is the problem all of the old timers are complaining about. There is a huge difference between a 20 hour course and a 100 hour course. The short course results in divers that are not comfortable in the water. They usually scare themselves silly and take up golf.

also in the classroom portion of the course we rushed through (right before the quizzes and final the instructor went through the quiz book and pretty much gave us the answers (While I knew them already, I was a little concerned about this practice)- is this the usual for PADI certification classes.

Like the Knowledge Reviews, there are certain things you need to walk away with in terms of factual knowledge. You verify that, at one instant in time, you actually knew the information long enough to pass the test. That helps the agency when they have to argue that you were 'trained'. Having an instructor reiterate the important (tested) facts doesn't seem to be entirely out of line.

You aren't comfortable! OK, arrange for more pool time. A LOT more pool time. If you intend to stay in the hobby, there is no point in doing the open water sessions until you are VERY comfortable in the pool. Ten students for one instructor and no assistants seems like a lot. Get some one-on-one time and don't move forward until you are ready.

Considering your description of the compressed nature of your class, how are you doing with dive tables (RDP or eRDP)? If you learn nothing else, you need to have these down absolutely perfect. I realize it is more common to just blow these off and buy a computer but, in my view, it is a mistake. You really need to understand the tables. I know; everybody hates the tables. But, they'll keep you alive.

Once you complete your 4 open water dives, you may still not be comfortable. If you don't do something right then, you won't be around long. Going diving with another new OW diver would do nothing for your confidence. If you could find a qualified mentor, that might help. The problem is usually in the disparity in skills and confidence. You can usually take more checkout dives with other classes. There may be a small charge, usually not. Again, take as many checkout dives as it takes.

Worst case, complete the program you have already paid for and consider taking the program again. Maybe sign up for a private class. Sure, it's more expensive but if you want to stay in this hobby, you need to get over this hump.

Richard

Last edited:
I am surprised that you did 4 OW cert dives in one day. WRSTC states no more than 3 open water certification dives may be done in a 24 hours period. Why were you rsuhed through the course?

WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council

Open Water Diver PDF file

5.2.4 No more than three open water scuba dives may be conducted on a given day. These
dives may be a combination of required training dives and additional excursion dives.

Thanks for the feedback. I have no problems with the RDP, that was the easiest part of the whole thing for me, so at least I am good there :D. My issues are comfort in the water. I know some of my issues are things I need to deal with that are beyond any instructors control, (increasing my swimming endurance, and pacing myself so that I don't wear myself out too fast, and just getting in better shape all the way around) and I am working on those things. as well. I will schedule more pool time and get much more comfortable before I try the cert dives. Thanks again for the comments they were helpful.

Debbie

I am surprised that you did 4 OW cert dives in one day. WRSTC states no more than 3 open water certification dives may be done in a 24 hours period. Why were you rsuhed through the course?

WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council

Open Water Diver PDF file

5.2.4 No more than three open water scuba dives may be conducted on a given day. These
dives may be a combination of required training dives and additional excursion dives.

Does this pertain to "Confined" (pool) Dives 1-4? As I stated I haven't done my certification dives yet. only the pool portion-maybe I should have been more clear (still learning the lingo :))

Thanks

Debbie

I agree with scubanatic. It concerns me that you did all 4 ow dives in one day.
Other than that, your discomfort in the water is entirely normal. Try to have an experienced dive buddy to dive with. If you do not know one, the dive shop can set you up with someone to dive with. Divers, in most cases, are pretty good about letting you tag along with them....

Debbie,

Just checking on something: You completed 4 confined water dives, right? You still have your open water training dives ahead of you, don't you? Or am I reading your original post wrong?

You raise good points.

In my opinion you haven't completed the confined OW skills until you're comfortable with them. I also believe that the instructor hasn't completed the job until the students learn. Too often, both in scuba and in general, instructors measure the job by what they put into it -- "I taught the material, it isn't my fault if the student didn't learn it" -- rather than the learning achieved.

I firmly believe that if learning didn't happen, then teaching didn't happen either.

The right forum to take this up is with the shop through which you booked the instruction. You might ask for extra class or pool time so that you're comfortable before doing open water skills.

I'm not a scuba instructor, but I'd hate to add the stress of being in open water, to a student who already isn't comfortable with his basic skills. The whole point of the skills education is to make you so comfortable that in the event of a problem, you'll seamlessly apply your training before doubt or panic set in. That won't happen if you lack comfort and confidence with the skills involved.

Debbie,

Just checking on something: You completed 4 confined water dives, right? You still have your open water training dives ahead of you, don't you? Or am I reading your original post wrong?

Yes Hank you are correct these are CONFINED dives I am talking about

Debbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom