Overfill condition - LP85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanker299

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Been wondering for a while whether I should post this or not, but hey, it's Christmas Eve with not much going on, so, here it goes:
A couple of months ago I had my steel LP85 hot filled at a local quarry. The kid handling the compressor had a momentary lapse of sanity and fell asleep.
As I was paying for the fill I heard a loud swoosh and when I looked over I saw my tank hitting the pavement, valve first. I had bought the tank 2 weeks earlier. :shakehead

I suspected that I may have to have the tank hydroed but my LDS guy said that wouldn't be necessary since after he VIP'ed it and changed the valve, he said the burst disk is rated below hydro so since it went, then all is good.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Do you know what the burst disk pressure is on that valve? I believe the LP cylinders are hydro'd at 4000 psi. I know tons of people that overfill LP tanks all the time, me included. I fill mine between 3000 and 3500 pretty much everytime with no issues, my shop owner does the same, so I DOUBT there would be any problems because of the overfill. That being said, if that happened to my cylinder, because of the fault of a careless fill technician, I would be demanding that the shop gets me a hydro done, one to be on the safe side, and two to make a point to the shop that service like that just isn't acceptable to me. You can be sure the shop would make sure that kid never acted like that again if they have to foot the bill for a hydro.

You have a tank that was over filled by a BUTT load, but we aren't sure by how much. We also have a tank that hit the pavement while rapidly venting. Hydros are cheap. I would opt for a new hydro or a new tank.

Was the correct burst disk installed? Should have been 4000 psi. If yes just replace it and move on.

If it was a higher rated disk, like 5250 then I would have the cylinder hydroed first.

NetDoc:
You have a tank that was over filled by a BUTT load, but we aren't sure by how much. We also have a tank that hit the pavement while rapidly venting. Hydros are cheap. I would opt for a new hydro or a new tank.

I agree wholeheartely, Do a preventive hydro followed by a very detailed vip. Depending on the valve installed, (and you likely don't know what it is now), you could have seen 5000psi+ in the tank and it could have done permanent damage.

Better safe than sorry. Tanks are relatively cheap

in_cavediver:
Better safe than sorry. Tanks are relatively cheap

The price of the tank is irrelevant to the OP. If it's damaged, the LDS owes you a tank, becuase they destroyed your old one. If they refuse, take them to small claims court or file a charge of vandalism.

JahJahwarrior:
The price of the tank is irrelevant to the OP. If it's damaged, the LDS owes you a tank, becuase they destroyed your old one. If they refuse, take them to small claims court or file a charge of vandalism.

Actually, if you read the OP, the local quarry is the one who overpressurized the tank and the LDS merely VIP'd it and gave the opinion. (a couple months ago at that)

I think someone at the quarry needs to be killed!! Over filled by that much is just plan stupid. When I read hot filled I was thinking quick and to maybe 3500.

If nothing else for the peace of mind I would get it hydro'd.

Tanker299:
Hi,

Been wondering for a while whether I should post this or not, but hey, it's Christmas Eve with not much going on, so, here it goes:
A couple of months ago I had my steel LP85 hot filled at a local quarry. The kid handling the compressor had a momentary lapse of sanity and fell asleep.
As I was paying for the fill I heard a loud swoosh and when I looked over I saw my tank hitting the pavement, valve first. I had bought the tank 2 weeks earlier. :shakehead

I suspected that I may have to have the tank hydroed but my LDS guy said that wouldn't be necessary since after he VIP'ed it and changed the valve, he said the burst disk is rated below hydro so since it went, then all is good.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Leave it alone. If the tank came from a reputable supplier it had the correct saftey assembly in it. That's why when bozo overfilled it the saftey let loose. As to having it hydro tested now you risk a few things that are not necessary to risk.

1. A poor hydro or one not done with the + rating will void your + rating forever
2. A poor hydro will possibly add to flash rust in the cylinder if it is not done with hot hot water and a rapid dry.

At best the bozo could not fill it much past 4500 psi since most dive center compressors cap off at that pressure. The cylinder did not have a "sustained load" meaning that it did no sit with that pressure for more than a few minutes.

Leave the tank alone, go dive it and have a nice time.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies … Well, seems like there is a 50-50 split between hydro and leave be.

Yes, hydro is cheap and so is a new tank (relatively speaking), but as JS1scuba says, if I hydro then it's bye bye "+".

Well, fine then, seems the price of steel has dropped a bit so I'll just go with tank # 2 and hydro this one. Diving has inherent risks methinks, no need to push it unnecessarily. $200 for a new LP85 is really nothing compared to the tank suffering metal fatigue at the wrong time (and depth), unless I am being a little too paranoid.

As for my LDS, he recommended hydro at first but after he VIP'd it and spoke to Worthington he then said no hydro but ultimately up to me.

The valve is a Thermo ProValve. Don't know the burst disk rating though … Can anyone determine what the rating is based on this info? The valve has a blue sticker with 2400 psi on black letters.

Thanks !

Alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom