Overbreathing the scrubber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could plumb the BOV into a bailout bottle, but the ones I've seen require a large bore LP hose. Which means you can't use a quick disconnect on it. Which means if you had to pass your bailout bottle to another diver, you would be unable to do so, because it is plumbed into your loop.

On the other hand, if you use a BOV plumbed into your dil tank, and for some reason you ended up with bad diluent, then switching to a BOV for a sanity breath may not be any help, as you'd still have contaminated gas.

At this point, I've chosen to stick with a bailout bottle and reg seperate from my dil, so I can pass it off, or have a totally different gas source, if needed.

Others have different views.
Agreed there. I dive with two bail out tanks. One (left) is rigged as a stage and can be handed off easily. The other has a necklaced second stage. Both tanks have additional inflater hoses I can plumb into my loop for additional gas. This set up allows me to plug in any gas into the loop at any time and bail out to a separate gas source.

Should I ever get a BOV, it will be plumbed into a off board tank. If I have a dil issue, I do not want to go back on it via a different route.

My avatar pic was taken during training and does not reflect my current set up....

I guess your meg instructor didn't cover the function os a BOV. Essentially once you switch to OC bailout on a BOV the loop is closed.

I think what he meant was, where the afore mentioned bubbles a result of the BOV closing because he was bailing, or was there some other issue that caused them.

I'm *reasonably* sure the instructor he gets his information from is pretty thorough.

I guess your meg instructor didn't cover the function os a BOV. Essentially once you switch to OC bailout on a BOV the loop is closed.

Yes, in fact he did. As did Jakub when I spoke to him as his unit was about to come onto the market. I first learned about the BOV function in 2005 when I did my first mixed dive and the diver was wearing a KISS sport.

The real question is, is TSandM thinking of trading in a horse for a rebreather? :wink:

I'd be willing to bet she isn't thinking of going CCR anytime soon.

I am trying to find video of how Richard plumbed his unit. I have video of how he did it prior to his installing a BOV, but I thought I had some newer footage. Perhaps not.

My avatar pic was taken during training and does not reflect my current set up....

I'm having the same avatar problems. :wink:

No need to apologize for the discussion becoming wider ranging. I'm finding it fascinating. I know very little about rebreathers, and the more I read, the more convinced I become that they aren't for me. The complexity sounds incredibly scary.

They are definitely not for everyone. I didn't really think they were for me at first either. My decision to purchase and train came at the end of about 3 years of self debate. It is a very, very personal decision.

wedivebc,

You mentioned that you were using medical sorb during the dive that you had your co2 incident. Is that an inferior sorb compared to other products? What's the difference between different sorb products? (I'm not an rb diver. I have a very basic understanding of rebreathers, but that's about it.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom