Overall negative experience at LDS - Tackle Shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warning; Rant follows:

Been there, done that. Seems to me anymore, Land locked LDS are populated by what seems to be non-divers (Gap type people) that want to take your money, any how - any way, and have no clue as to what you need and could also care less about it. Admit it, prices can be pretty ridiculas too. Pretty much a microcosm of society as it is. Screw u before u screw me. Just fork it over, I've got beer to go drink. Granted I'm in Houston (3rd largest city in the USA), (BUT yet we don't have a decent dive shop)(Plenty of fat GIANT tailgaiting SUV's though).

Rant ends:

The good stuff:
Call www.scubatoys.com and speak with those guys. They will first: 1. Listen to you. 2. Explain the circumstanses. 3. Understand your price allowance, no questions asked. Enough said. :coffee: $100 difference alone can cover several round trip shipping events. CALL THEM.

Now, Appology to the good peeps:
Sorry if you actually "work" at a dive shop. I want to believe there is still such a thing. :lol: Insert sound of soap box being removed here. Wub.

When I read about the way LDS's treat their customers, I am still flabbergasted. It makes me realize how lucky I am to have Scubatoys as my LDS. Once when my car battery died, Larry went to two places to buy me a new battery and then helped me put it in my car in the driving rain. Since then, I have spent over $4000 there and felt like I have gotten a great deal with excellent service each time. I can understand why an lds can't match a 3 million dollar inventory, but I don't understand why they can't give respectable service which should be there strong suit.

My LDS is wonderful. I've never had any negative dealings with them. Just the opposite, in fact.

This is unfortunatley not a new story. The 1980's buisness model the dive shops are still following is just not going to work anymore. The rude, slick sales job isn't selling.

I can not fathom what my reponse would be if I was looking at a dive computer and the salesman said.."It is so easy even a poor ignorant cracker from Florida could operate it."

I myself drive about an hour to Jupiter to buy from a shop. There are at least five other local shops here, but they all suck like a 300# smoker on his check out dive at Shark Reef.

....they all suck like a 300# smoker on his check out dive at Shark Reef.[/QUOTE:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes I wish all of you with bad LDS's could visit a cave shop here in cave country.

Imagine walking into a dive shop, and them having EVERYTHING you need. Need a $3500 scooter? There's 3 in the corner. You can rent them too. Need a high end regulator? They've got 3-5 brands. Need a BC? Sure, here's a selection of BP/W by 3 or 4 manufacturers or a DR Transpac/Zeagle back inflate. Dive computer you say? How about a VR3, or a Vyper, or a NitecHE? Lights? Canlight in big, bigger, or video, and backups too.

Need to rent tanks? Sure, you want AL80s, Steel 95s/130s, or do you need a AL40s for oxygen or EAN50? Custom blend nitrox, sure no problem.

Get directions, local dive conditions, referrals to another shop that will have just what you need (they call ahead), etc.

The first time I walked into Cave Excursions and Extreme Exposure, I looked around at everything. And in both instances I had exactly the same reaction. There was no crap, all good stuff, and at prices that were the SAME as the online prices. And how about the dive now pay later program for regulars. Settle up your gas bill at the end of the dive day, or dive WEEEK. No hassles, no problems.

The shop owners are divers. Their employees are divers (usually avid cavers), they host product demo days, customer appreciation days (picnics, free stuff, auctions, swap meets), and there is often free coffee, snacks, etc.

A LOT of LDSs could learn some lessons... However, there are very few customers going in who don't know what they actually want. This tends to streamline product.

i got my first "you can't buy airfills on the internet" speech yesterday when I was buying some henderson boots
it was a little weird

Did you give them the "you can't attract customers with scare tactics" speech?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom