Overall negative experience at LDS - Tackle Shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please tell your wife to not let these jerks effect the way she feels about her new BC or diving. If she got a BC that she really liked then it doesn't matter where she got it, she should love it and enjoy many years of diving with it.

Those jerks at the shop don't deserve your time, energy, or anger....they deserve pity and a healthy dose of a lack of commerce. :wink:

jfoster33702:
You guys got me a little more fired up and I called the shop. I talked to one of the owners and explained the situation. He agreed with me and appologized. Apparently the employee who made the comment has been there for a long long time but has had issues saying things that he shouldn't. He said that he would speak with him and asked me to look him up the next time I came in. He asked what he could do for me to make it better. I politely explained to him that if I let him compensate me somehow, it would take away from the point I was trying to make and that I would likely not be returning to his store. He was professional and polite but unfortunately, he is also responsible for the way his employees treat people.

So, I guess what's done is done. We had such a crappy experience yesterday - my wife is halfway discouraged and not at all enthused to have purchased a nice piece of gear. I'll leave it be and try to start having fun diving.

Jeff
buy your gear from the folks at scubatoys and you'll never have a problem!
those guys are awesome!

Dude. If I was there I think I would have flipped out. I think I could have been ok with the bad service, once he said the Mexican thing, I would have lost it. I would have made him take back the the BC and told him to call the cops and tell them to send a car, becaue he was about to get a Mexican beatdown.

robnyc03:
and told him to call the cops and tell them to send a car, becaue he was about to get a Mexican beatdown.

I wouldn't even give them that kind of warning.. ignoramous pricks like that really cross the line for me.

I'm not sure what happened in the last year or so with Tackle Shack but the attitude has worsened. Andrew was always pleasant and so was Dave (I believe that was his name) over in the kayak department. and it's not like I haven't spent any money there either......Mk25/S600 set, R190, wetsuit, boots, daughters fins, tons of spearfishing gear.

eandiver:
I'm not sure what happened in the last year or so with Tackle Shack but the attitude has worsened. Andrew was always pleasant and so was Dave (I believe that was his name) over in the kayak department. and it's not like I haven't spent any money there either......Mk25/S600 set, R190, wetsuit, boots, daughters fins, tons of spearfishing gear.
I don't know about the last year, I got my OW there over 20yrs ago and they rocked then, I moved away for a few yrs and back in 91, when I went to there shop then they acted like asses, and that they were doing me a favor letting me look around the store.
Then a few monts ago (forgetting about this experience) I called to ask about camera housings and the guy on the phone talked to me like I was a retard, I got my housing online and remember why I stopped going there again.
There is a LDS I go to now, Aquatic Obsession, very helpful and fair, I think.

Like others have said, find another LDS. I shop a t several for the brands I want. One shop I even have to drive 1 hr one way but his service is great. In fact when I bought my DUI CF 200 even though there were 3 shops in the Portland area that sold them. I got such ****** service from them I went to the shop the farthest away.

Unlike others I have lucked out on my first dives shop. Never get hassled for buying elsewhere great, great, great service. I have purchased at least 90% of my gear at LDS's I just wait for the sales. Last time I looked I had spent over $13000.00 dollars on gear. And that is just for me.:11: So sorry you had a bad experience but good luck on finding a good shop. And tell you wife that smile, she is diving the BCD she wanted and it fits great.

Charles

jfoster33702:
We were just so stunned - we walked out. I did copy them on this thread, but I doubt it will do much good. I would return the jacket in a heartbeat if I thought it wouldnt be a hassle to do so, due to their "no refunds, no exchanges" on the receipt.

We did use our AMEX. Does anyone know how they handle situations like this?

first of all, I would attempt to return it anyway, even with the "no refunds/exchanges" policy, at the very least it will cause them the aggravation of dealing with you and will most certainly ruin their day...explain that if they don't issue a refund, you will dispute the charges w/ AMEX in which case the consumer almost always wins...if this does not sway them, dispute the charges anyway; who knows, you may end up w/ a free Knighthawk, in which case I will be extremely jealous:D ...if they do accept the return, go home and order it online for $100 cheaper and never set foot in that store again......God, I'm glad to have an excellent LDS where I live:shakehead

i purchased a mask and fins from a smaller dive shop, they offered a 10% student discount since I signed up for their classes when I got my OW cert...

I figured I was getting 10% off retail, and didn't really mind paying a little more than I would online. I got home, looked up the mask online, and found it for $27, I paid $96 for it AFTER the discount at the shop... the fins were $45 and I paid $105 at the shop after discount.

These places try and take advantage of people that don't know what they are doing, luckily the shop refunded my money, but the owner decided to charge me a 10% restocking fee (they put it back on the shelf after all)... Which is unbelievable since I signed up for their private classes, why would they treat people this way if the internet is such a problem?

And charging 70% OVER retail is embarrassing.

I agree with the original poster. In fact, I'll just stick to the internet for purchasing gear...

GulfCostdiver:
There is a LDS I go to now, Aquatic Obsession, very helpful and fair, I think.

I was in there once when they were over by Tyrone and 9th. I figured they went out of business. Where did they go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom