over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walter:
Why do some believe it was a "freak" accident? I'm not aware of any details that would explain one way or the other what happened to kill this woman. The death of the diver in Deerfield was a freak accident. A horrible thunderstorm came up and he was struck and killed by lightning before he could reach the boat and exit the water. I've seen no information yet that would indicate this was any kind of freak accident. Has anyone seen any official reports?

Walter, I can't think of a logical reason why the diver panicked other than she was unable to breathe. I have it on good authority that she was diving an HP 80, about 3 lbs difference full than an AL 80. I don't see how 3 additional pounds of weight could create such an issue considering most new divers are overweighted by much more than 3 lbs. I can't think of any scenario that accounts for the facts other than something strange happened.

No, as far as I know, there are no official reports released.

NetDoc:
I believe that the are 80s. At least that what's I believe Brett told me that they use on that boat.

They were steel '80's. She stated stated she was overweighted, that I know. That said, IMlittleO, this began the cycle of panic. Next was the aspiration and her letting panic take over. Some would see being over-weighted as an easy problem to correct; however, when you add that with other problems it can go bad, really bad. I take away from this unfortunate accident that panic can end in tragedy which in this case it did, a horrible, horrible tragedy but one that should be a reminder to all.

An HP 80 is a steel 80, Miss. I dive an HP 100. There's no big difference in initial weight. The payoff comes at the end of the dive when you don't need to compensate for the positive buoyancy of the AL 80. I don't see the tank being critical. Her exposure protection (Florida vs. cold water) may have played a larger role and perhaps she didn't account for that when choosing her weights? I don't know.

NetDoc:
Walter, an eye witness has come forth and indicated that this was indeed the case. Unless you have better intel than he does, I am going to go with his assessment. Caca happens even to the best of divers.

What makes him think it was a freak accident? I don't have any info. That's my point. Just because a witness says it was a freak accident, doesn't make it so. That's a conclusion he might no be qualified to male. What are his facts? I'm not concerned with his conclusions.

TheRedHead:
Walter, I can't think of a logical reason why the diver panicked other than she was unable to breathe. I have it on good authority that she was diving an HP 80, about 3 lbs difference full than an AL 80. I don't see how 3 additional pounds of weight could create such an issue considering most new divers are overweighted by much more than 3 lbs. I can't think of any scenario that accounts for the facts other than something strange happened.

There's never a logical reason for panic. We may understand panic, but it's not logical. I can think of several scenarios that can lead an overweighted diver to panic. The problem is without more facts, they would be no less wild *** guesses than saying it was a "freak" accident. She wasn't struck by lightning. It's unlikely a weightbelt fell off the boat and lodged around her tank valve. There's no facts yet presented that remotely suggest it was a "freak" accident.

Walter:
There's never a logical reason for panic. We may understand panic, but it's not logical. I can think of several scenarios that can lead an overweighted diver to panic.

I don't have any reason to believe she really was significantly overweighted. How much weight was she wearing? I understand she was wearing a 2 mil suit. We have no facts. Even if she were overweighted, diving overweighted is not fatal.

TheRedHead:
I don't have any reason to believe she really was significantly overweighted. How much weight was she wearing? I understand she was wearing a 2 mil suit. We have no facts. Even if she were overweighted, diving overweighted is not fatal.

Exactly. We have no facts. We have no facts that indicate this was related to training. We have no facts to indicate this was a freak accident. Saying it was a freak accident is as much speculation as saying it was the result of inadequate training.

Walter:
Exactly. We have no facts. We have no facts that indicate this was related to training. We have no facts to indicate this was a freak accident. Saying it was a freak accident is as much speculation as saying it was the result of inadequate training.

Ok, I'll amend my statement to "unusual" accident. Undoubtedly, she made a series of mistakes which snowballed. I'm saying that because almost all diving deaths are the result of a series of bad decisions.

sohnje:
As this is supposed to be the forum that other divers may learn from others misfortune, I would first like to state that I unfortunately learned that there is no such thing as a "easy dive". Each dive, whether deep,techinical, or shallow poses the same risks. I have read the previous comments and I know there are some who would like to boast their confidence in diving skills and agency training, but not matter what level of confidence or skill, sometimes accidents do occur. Unfortunatley, this accident occured with experienced divers who had excellent training and past experienced even on the same reefs. Emergency assist procedures where followed not only by this diver but also the two boys involved and it still did not stop this accident from occuring. But as with many other reports, the specifics are never correct with the newspapers and this accident as is appears is too simple to have occured, but it did.
Panic was a major factor in this situation and it occurred in someone who never had experienced it before. Until a person experiences such a situation, then you can never truly say how you will react. This being said, I still cant say enough about training, training and training until you begin to respond under any type of stressful situation, even though under these circumstances, it didn't appear to help. It is still easy to play the "woulda, coulda and shoulda" game but again, sometimes things go wrong under the best of cirumstances and the worst thing believable can happen. I apologize for those who wanted to hear a more technical answer, or who believe that there had to be more. The unsettled fact is that within two minutes of the initial dive, I lost a friend of many years.

Walter, I am quoting this for you - just so you know exactly what was said by the man that was with her during this tragedy

sohnje:
I made the same statements in the past, experience just taught me different. Risk is a perception. It's like stating that driving a 18 wheeler is less riskier than a car car as it's more technical to drive and requires advanced training. But the incidents of accidents for cars and rigs are statistically then same.

should be a reminder to all.

I've been following this whole thing...

what is the lesson, exactly? I need some help..

Walter:
That's a conclusion he might no be qualified to male.
Walter, dear friend, he is in a better position to reach a conclusion than either you or I will EVER be. Please go back and read what he has had to say about the incident. Read it again. May I suggest that continued rhetoric about deducing the truth with the facts we have will be completely counter productive and even hurtful? If you feel that there is more pondering to do here, than by all means do it. But making this into some sort of online public inquiry is ill advised. I am asking you as a friend, a dear friend, to take a deep breath and put the bull dog mentality to rest. I dare say, any lessons that we could have learned from this incident have been beaten to death already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom