over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thalassamania:
How about, "as your level of training rises the odds of encountering a life-threatening 'freak occurrence' diminishes?"
maybe, but I think that it does not diminish the odds of one occurring (it is a freak occurrence) .. It's not the level of the freak thing , or even that the occurrence of them will be less, I think it diminishes the odds of one taking you out with it (thinking that even many small things are life threatining if not handled correctly)

I would agree D_B, the use of "freak" would amount to a statistical anomaly and not one that can be predicted to happen with any degree of accuracy.

TheRedHead:
No, "freak" means unexplained, can't be accounted for, in this case. Perhaps she aspirated some water and began choking? That would indicate the mistake of removing one's reg. But that is something we all do from time to time. We don't think we're going to panic and down when we remove our reg to speak to someone on the surface.

NetDoc:
I would agree D_B, the use of "freak" would amount to a statistical anomaly and not one that can be predicted to happen with any degree of accuracy.

I agree with Pete. I think that "freak" means unexpected and unusual but not by definition overwhelming. The aspiration of water is something that is less likely to occur to well trained and experienced diver than to a newly certified diver. So is that in fact unexpected or unusual? And as far as panic resultant from said aspiration, I think most of us have taken a bit of water down the wrong pipe at the wrong time, yet we did not panic and we're still here to talk about it. Why? I submit because our training and experience prepared us for the incident and thus someone else's "freak incident" was our everyday "ho-hum."

Thalassamania:
Would you accept the concept that the level of freak accident that is required to kill someone by-and-large varies directly with the diver's training and experience?

As I said, preparation is good.

Thankfully, although obviously heart-rending, sohnje has shared some details of this accident and it appears his friend had good preparation and experience and those around her made every effort to assist when she got into difficulty.

Again, this appears to have been a "freak" (uncommon) accident of aspiration, which caused panic.

With sufficient water aspiration, panic could happen to any of us.

Speaking generally, in these accident discussions, training, experience and judgment are often important, but hubris is what leads so many to quickly indict the victims as deficient. Sometimes the speculation is informative and instructive, sometimes it's just preening and posturing at the expense of the victim.

From the beginning reports of this accident, it seemed pretty clear this victim and others involved in the accident should have been discussed with a little more humble and reasonable and caring approach.

Dave C

Please, I have no opinion as to the accident that started this thread or its tragic victim, that's a different matter entirely that we may never be able to tease out.

dave4868:
With sufficient water aspiration, panic could happen to any of us.

Dave C

Over-weighting + water aspiration = a recipe for full blown panic for this young woman

Why do some believe it was a "freak" accident? I'm not aware of any details that would explain one way or the other what happened to kill this woman. The death of the diver in Deerfield was a freak accident. A horrible thunderstorm came up and he was struck and killed by lightning before he could reach the boat and exit the water. I've seen no information yet that would indicate this was any kind of freak accident. Has anyone seen any official reports?

I'm curious about the tank which has been blamed for the overweighting. Does anyone know which tank? LP95?

First, we are not sure that she was over weighted. That could just be part of the panic cycle she was under.

Walter, an eye witness has come forth and indicated that this was indeed the case. Unless you have better intel than he does, I am going to go with his assessment. Caca happens even to the best of divers.

TheRedHead:
I'm curious about the tank which has been blamed for the overweighting. Does anyone know which tank? LP95?
I believe that the are 80s. At least that what's I believe Brett told me that they use on that boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom