over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
catherine96821:
I've been following this whole thing...

what is the lesson, exactly? I need some help..
Panic kills quickly and without notice or defference to training. Those who feel that they are immune to this beast are only deluding themselves.

okay.

Anything obvious that could have saved her?

NetDoc:
Panic kills quickly and without notice or defference to training. Those who feel that they are immune to this beast are only deluding themselves.

That is what I have taken home... thanks doc

Was her buddy a rescue diver? That might have made a difference.

another question..

how has it changed you "to take that home"?

Does it change how you would do that dive?

Could you have expected someone there to know that she would panic?

I'm unclear on that

NetDoc:
But what it takes to reach the point of panic is almost completely dependent on training and skill. If you don't believe me just throw a nonswimmer into the deep end of the pool.

so...are you saying she was not trained enough to be where she was?

...and that others should have recognized that?

or did SHE miscalculate?

Thalassamania:
But what it takes to reach the point of panic is almost completely dependent on training and skill. If you don't believe me just throw a nonswimmer into the deep end of the pool.

The eyewitness said she was well-trained and experienced. She had made the dive before. Not comparable to throwing a non-swimmer into the deep end of the pool.

catherine96821:
so...are you saying she was not trained enough to be where she was?

...and that others should have recognized that?

or did SHE miscalculate?

This is a typical OW checkout dive. Easy-peasy under most circumstances. Of course, she was trained enough to be diving Molasses Reef.

There are missing facts.

TheRedHead:
Ok, I'll amend my statement to "unusual" accident. Undoubtedly, she made a series of mistakes which snowballed. I'm saying that because almost all diving deaths are the result of a series of bad decisions.

I agree, that's usually the case. We don't know what happened here except she panicked. That panic probably led to her death, but we don't even know that for sure. What led up to the panic? So far, we don't know.

NetDoc:
Walter, dear friend, he is in a better position to reach a conclusion than either you or I will EVER be.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Without facts, we'll never know.

NetDoc:
Please go back and read what he has had to say about the incident. Read it again.

I did. It is very emotional, but very short on facts.

NetDoc:
May I suggest that continued rhetoric about deducing the truth with the facts we have will be completely counter productive and even hurtful?

May I suggest that is why this forum is completely separate from the Passings forum. This is the correct forum for this type of discussion. It's also why names are not used in this forum.

NetDoc:
But making this into some sort of online public inquiry is ill advised. I am asking you as a friend, a dear friend, to take a deep breath and put the bull dog mentality to rest.

I'm not making an inquiry nor have I come out with a bulldog mentality. I've merely stated (as you did before) that people are drawing conclusions that are not supported by facts. There are no facts here to support any conclusions of any kind. We may or may not ever learn facts that will enable us to come to any conclusions. The "freak accident" conclusion is groundless at this time.

NetDoc:
I dare say, any lessons that we could have learned from this incident have been beaten to death already.

The problem with an incident like this, aside from the tradegy of losing someone who I'm sure was a wonderful person and a wonderful mother, is the lessons that could be learned and could possibly save future lives are usually never learned because the facts are never revealed. We could learn valuable lessons, but without the facts, it's not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom