over vs. under hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st post, 1st sentance :wink: :)
"Got a new mask recently (bifocal :confused:), and on its first dive it was leaking horribly."

Got it. So in that case, I stand by under-the-hood. This isn't a gear failure - better to test dive-critical new equipment in a pool or even just on the surface, before taking it into an environment where it not working could be risky.

Why do you carry a back-up mask?

In case of mask failure (breakage).

In this scenario, I would take off the mask that was broken (without taking off my hood, not difficult), then put the backup mask on over my hood, and probably end the dive.

I was asking why I would take off my hood in cold water, in response to your question...

I wear 2 hoods, we are in UK so water temps are circa 5-13 degrees, mask goes over 1st hood and under 2nd.

Pretty sure we were taught to wear mask under the hood in tech training back in the 90s but might have misremembered. The point being dislodgement is less likely and total loss in the event even less likely.

It's also easier then to don the gag strap on my BOV when diving CCR and no strap to hang up on my helmet cradle when in OHE.

Yeah, I wear a gag strap as well! Yet another reason for under the hood, but I figured that wasn't relevant to most people in this thread... :)

I took a different approach to mask loss prevention. I stared experimenting several years ago with a method to attach the mask that wouldn't be a PITA. I added a stainless trigger snap to my mask and a small D-ring on a short 1" piece of webbing to my cold water hoods and tropical 3mm wetsuit. I really like it.

I snap the mask to the D-ring before putting it on. The best part is I can just let it hang over my shoulder until I am ready to jump. So far, it has not gotten in my way in over 10 years of use. This post describes my current configuration:

This thread shows my first prototype where I used a plastic webbing clip.

1654871860702.png

I find that I have no concern for mask loss anymore. It is sort of fun to watch reaction on the boat when I just flip the mask off my head and let it fall before grabbing the ladder. :)

I have done it with the mask strap both over and under the hood at the same time. Here's how that happened. when the water gets really cold, I like my head to stay warm. I have several 7mm hoods, but they are supremely uncomfortable to wear and hard to get on and off, especially when wearing the thick gloves necessary when the water and air is cold enough to need the thick hood. Additionally, these hoods do not have the nice skin seal around the face that you would think they should have (mine are old). Meanwhile, I do have several 3mm hoods and one 5mm hood that are very comfortable and easy to take on and off (stretchier neoprene) and seal really well (skin seal on entire inside) but are not warm enough on their own for really cold water. I also have a 3mm beanie hood that happens to also have one side that is red to match the shoulder part on my dry suit (added benefit - it's easier to see than black underwater). So, when the water is cold enough to require 7mm+ on my head, I double bag my head with the 5mm nicely sealing full hood with the beanie over top. This allowed me to put on the one hood, then the mask, and the beanie hood on top. This provided the security for the mask without the drawbacks of cold water leaking in around the mask strap and fighting to get my fat head into a tight thick single hood. If the mask failed during the dive it would be easy to pull it out of the outer hood and put on my backup mask either between the hoods again or just on the outside for the return and ascent.
I have also done this in less cold water using the beanie over the mask and a 3mm hood and with the beanie over the mask and a 2mm hooded vest. I tried mask under a single hood once and didn't really like it, so if I'm only wearing the one hood I pretty much always just wear the mask outside.

Got a new mask recently (bifocal :confused:), and on its first dive it was leaking horribly. I carry a spare and decided to swap when I realized my habit of wearing my mask under my hood (to safeguard it from being dislodged) makes swapping masks a bit more difficult. Now I'm reconsidering the wisdom of wearing my mask under my hood... Thoughts?
You should wear the mask over the hood (easier to swap and adjust) but you should pull the hood over the mask skirt so that the mask seals agains skin (and not against skin here and 5mm wetsuit there - a gap would allow water in).

Do not tighten that mask. I will wrinkle and leak! Loose is better.

Pull the hood back
but that is extremely awkward with a tight fitting hood designed for cold water - and impossible with dry hoods,
and forget about it if you have dry gloves,
and cold water would make it unpleasant.

Why complicate things? Masks do not magically fall off. There is no need to secure them under the hood. If some warm water divers prefer to do so and find it beneficial, then fine, it probably works for them. I am not a warm water diver.

The lesson is this: try it for yourself and and find a solution that makes life easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom