over vs. under hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1fspeed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a new mask recently (bifocal :confused:), and on its first dive it was leaking horribly. I carry a spare and decided to swap when I realized my habit of wearing my mask under my hood (to safeguard it from being dislodged) makes swapping masks a bit more difficult. Now I'm reconsidering the wisdom of wearing my mask under my hood... Thoughts?

Why should it be difficult ?

Pull the hood back remove mask and replace then pull the hood back on.

I wear my hood over the mask strap, but I've never had to do a replacement since one of my tech classes.

I have not seen anyone put on a mask before the hood. I would not do it.
If you dive cold water a lot, like myself, then the last thing you want is the need to take your hood off in extremely cold water. That would be a shock to the system, especially the ears.

I hate wearing the mask under the hood. I tried multiple times and it was never comfortable for me. I've been wearing it over my hood for 725+ dives. I've not lost a mask yet.

With that said, it should be pretty easy to do as @Searcaigh said. The only exception would be really cold water. I used to dive in the Great Lakes alot. At depth water temps were always 40-45 F. I would NOT have wanted to pull my hood back to replace my mask in those temps. Instant ice cream headache!

Another vote for under hood.

The only reason you would need to take your mask OFF in cold water (or anywhere else) would be if it broke and you needed to swap it with your backup. Mask displacement is not that uncommon (and that's what under-the-hood is for). Mask breakage is pretty rare, I don't think that I have ever heard of that. NOT saying that it never has happened, it's just a pretty unusual thing.

Why should it be difficult ?

Pull the hood back remove mask and replace then pull the hood back on.

I wear my hood over the mask strap, but I've never had to do a replacement since one on my tech classes.
Difficult = cold I guess. I live in N. Minnesota, dive the big lake and local quarries. Water temps the other day were still in the 40s.

Seems like people are debating on what is the "right way". There is no right way, wear it however you like.

The OP specifically asked for people's thoughts about over vs. under. Are you saying that he shouldn't have asked, since it makes no difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom