Over coffe this morening...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was looking through the new issue of "Dive Training". The refuse to believe that I closed my shop I guess because they still send me boxes of the things.

Any way...they had a piece on reg recovery. They pictured a kneeling diver performing an arm sweep and an over the shoulder reach. They explained it pretty much the way I was taught and the way I USED to teach it. But, it's another one of those things that I had to disagree with after spending a few years thinking about it.

The arm sweep pretty much assumes a vertical position so it's not for diving except maube on the surface.

They were careful to explain that you can use one hand to lift the tank while doing the over the shoulder reach. I guess that again assumes a vertical position huh?

They also plainly showed the diver blowing a continuous stream of bubbles while they recovered the lost reg.

The way I wear my reg (a long hose) it will just hang off my right shoulder if I drop it. (at that it will be right in front of my face since I'll be horizontal in the water. If for some reason it isn't there I AM NOT going to hang out blowing bubbles while I look for it. I'm going to dip my head and get my backup reg which is conveniently right under my chin on a necklace.

Not having anything to breath is just about the most urgent problem we can have under water. When deprived of breathing gas the priority is to get some, then you can sort out any other problems there might be.

Of course some divers dress in such a way that they would be hard pressed to find their backup too. If you insist on configuring your equipment that way and can't immediately grab one reg or the other, I'd recommend using that OOA signal you learned and getting gas from your buddy rather than finding out how long you can blow bubbles. Blue is one of the last colors to be filtered at depth.

Just another example of skills being taught in a way that works better while having a group powow on the bottom of a pool than it does while diving.

Ya know, Mike, I could never figure that one out myself when I was going through my open water training. If you lose your reg, why not just pop your AAS in you mouth and then go hunting for it?

Another case for the bungied AAS, if you do lose your primary, which is not likely if it's on a long hose.

My guess is that it's some holdover from before octos were common. It's also a PITA to re-stow an octopus the way most people have them stowed... and of course a lot of people don't even have them stowed so finding an octo won't be any easier than finding the primary.

Good points Mike, funny how hard it is to convince the establishment of more logical ways of doing things even though the establishment has only been around for 50 years or so.

The first formal dive training (LA county) was developed with input from the few local divers and the scientific divers of Scripts Institute, they developed it based on items they had experienced personally in the field. Current training development should be progressing along with technology and input from the divers in the field...

Technology has progressed some but in many ways agencies now seem to take a firm stance on items that could or should be updated...

You're right, Jon, but I wasn't about to open that can of worms.

jonnythan:
My guess is that it's some holdover from before octos were common. It's also a PITA to re-stow an octopus the way most people have them stowed... and of course a lot of people don't even have them stowed so finding an octo won't be any easier than finding the primary.
And some people stow them so well they'd be hard put to find them even in a true emergency!

In my OW class we were taught both the arm sweep and the "landmark" (pat your first stage and follow the hose) but I get teh distinct impression that the instructor favored seeing us "landmark" rather than sweep.

There may be another reason for the drill and that would be to get the student more comfortable in the water (without a reg). It would sort of be like when they made us poor Army guys do drill with blindfolds on - sometimes it is not the actual skill but the confidence that you build in being able to do it.

When I did my OW, the instructor taught us the drill and then informed us of the closeness of the AAS.

The way we're taught at basic level reg retreival is hard to describe but its near a head down, 45 degree roll to the right and a kind of squeeze followed by arm sweep. Done with the mask off as well.

I dont doubt having the reg necklaced and/or a backup within easy reach but this move does seem to work more effectively and while swimming than just a kneeling arm sweep.

FWIW i dont have my primary or octo necklaced (mainly because i cant find any surgical tube stuff!) but my octo is clipped centre chest on a quick release right below drysuit inflator so can be found immediately one handed.

On a similar note, an amusing comment heard on holidays recently by a dive guide while he was choosing his BC in the kit room:- "Im looking for a BC with nice deep pockets. I prefer those so i can cram the octopus into it out of the way".

/me bangs head on table.

String:
On a similar note, an amusing comment heard on holidays recently by a dive guide while he was choosing his BC in the kit room:- "Im looking for a BC with nice deep pockets. I prefer those so i can cram the octopus into it out of the way".

/me bangs head on table.

You should have told him to bungee it on the bottom of the tank. It's out of the way, doesn't create any drag, and provides a nice yellow spot for the divers to follow the Dive guide. Plus, if any have an OOA, they don't have to bug the DM, they just swim up and breath off his rear end. :wink:

Xanthro

Xanthro:
You should have told him to bungee it on the bottom of the tank. It's out of the way, doesn't create any drag, and provides a nice yellow spot for the divers to follow the Dive guide. Plus, if any have an OOA, they don't have to bug the DM, they just swim up and breath off his rear end. :wink:

Xanthro
:lol3:

Dangit, man, That's gonna cost you a cup of coffee and a new keyboard!!!!

:jump3: :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom