Whistle Placement - Opinions? DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whistle placement? just put it on your lips and blow.

i keep mine tied off with a bungee to my corrugated hose (loosely) and secured with a piece of inner tube so it doesn't flop around but I can still get to it easily.

I opted for this whistle because it is loud, brass, and bad-a55. and I got 2!!!!

51RN+d0FvrS._AC_SX679_.jpg

I follow the DIR/GUE protocol of right pocket for safety-related gear, so that's where I would put a whistle. I think that, like everything else safety-related, one might consider how often the item is likely to be needed. Sure, IF a whistle is needed, then retrieving it quickly MIGHT be important under some circumstances. But what is the likelihood of a whistle being needed at all, and if it's needed, then needed within four or five seconds? (I don't know the answer--it depends on your situation.) I would weigh that against the perceived disadvantages of cluttering up a chest D-ring with yet one more item. As you noted, the spare boltsnap is already stowed on the right chest D-ring, and the left chest D-ring might be used with stages.

Danglies (clutter of any kind) are anathema to a Hogarthian set up. Whistles on rigs are just one example. I stow an air horn (much louder than a whistle) in a pocket, along with spools, strobe, mirror, and dye pack. PLB canister secured to waist strap tight against hip. Lift bag/DSMB is stowed at the base of the plate (small of back). I can retrieve the bag, rig the spool and shoot the bag from depth in about 15 seconds. "Instant access" unneccessary and over rated v eliminating clutter.

Thanks for the input.

First of all, I distached the whistle from the backup reg, because it does interfer with the shoulder D-ring by slipping into it (! yes a real hazard !). Experimenting in water showed that way is definetly not right.

So a whistle is seldom needed, like the knife/cutter. A sheath like the cutter seems a nice idea to me - with velcro belt attachment like Dive Rite cutter - just put it on the belt if needed.

The idea with a necklace and putting the whistle under the suit seems best for warm water diving. But my Storm whistle isn't small enough either.

... The idea with a necklace and putting the whistle under the suit seems best for warm water diving. But my Storm whistle isn't small enough either.
+1. Yes, this approach works (for me) with my 2-3mm wetsuit. I have pockets on my drysuit.

rx7diver

I highly recommend pocket shorts when using a wetsuit, or glue on pockets. I cannot dive without pockets. My pocket shorts are a hugely important part of my configuration. Without pockets, it is pretty much impossible to avoid danglies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom