Over 75 and I am not allowed to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know DAN will cover me, I am referring to the companies who take divers out in their boat, supply air,etc.
They have insurance to cover against divers who are injured, etc.My friend who just came back from Cabo said that, as usual, she had to fill out a form re: health matters and present her driver's license or passport.

I know DAN will cover me, I am referring to the companies who take divers out in their boat, supply air,etc.

They have insurance to cover against divers who are injured, etc.My friend who just came back from Cabo said that, as usual, she had to fill out a form re: health matters and present her driver's license or passport.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing.
Does your friend have dive insurance from DAN? I'm simply saying that if she does, she is covered, and the shop should not care how old she is. On the other had, if she is NOT insured and expects the shop to cover her, then the rules of their insurance policy apply.

I can write you a letter, say that this level of discrimination against activities that are supportive of mental health wellness is causing you great unrest (which I know it is because you’re feeling helpless and seeking support on here) on your quest for aquatically induced peace.

Which peace, is ironically what you hoped to attain, as it is well know that being in the water has been proven repeteadly in neuroscience research to be beneficial for the mind.

From an evolutionary standpoint, its calming in biofeedback tests because water gave us, well water, and fish, and even safety from attack on one side (not a lot of submarines in traveling nomad days).

Plus floating around suspended freely like a baby in there is very womb like.

Plus all the other things.

I’m just sayiiiinnnn.

Let’s just make the world make sense 🙂

***edit: I mean it from the side of preserving rights for divers because being suspended in water diving offers not only meditative breathing focus and a quieter atmosphere as well as other mental health benefits but also suspension from physical pains which people with those symptoms (veterans with PTSD as an example, and I would imagine, people in their 70s) could get very unique and specific relief from. So not allowing one thing that could work in a unique way for many reasons due to age and life battles, well, it’s pretty cruel. And if I can help as a licensed mental health therapist, I’ll help :)

• I don't know where my replies went. I'm talking about dive operator insurance, not DAN, and my girlfriend was asked, as is usual, to fill out a short medical forms and they had to see either her driver's license or passport.

There's no age limit for diving.

That much being said if a dive charter or gear rental facility feels a diver is too much of a risk, they have a right to refuse service.

Of course, the diver probably has the right to sue the charter for denial of service or discrimination, depending on the laws in that particular region.

A few years ago a friend of my who had just turned 70 and was a diving instructor got a letter from his scuba agency stating that they were no longer going to issue him insurance due to his age. for 2 years he had to get private insurance. luckily the Scuba agency changed their policy and switched to another insurance company. he is now 77 and still active and diving we have a trip scheduled for this December.
I still have a few years before I get to 70 but hope I still diving then.

• I don't know where my replies went. I'm talking about dive operator insurance, not DAN, and my girlfriend was asked, as is usual, to fill out a short medical forms and they had to see either her driver's license or passport.
And I will ask again. Can you name the specific dive company that refused to allow diving due to age?

Thanks!

I'm not quite 70 and was dismayed to run into the age 70 diving in the Similans out of Khao Lak, Thailand a few months back. My wife (over 70) went along on 1 boat as a snorkeler and I had to discuss with them that she was in good health and had recently been snorkeling in Hawaii, but they let her on. This does make me wonder if people who have run into this might want to start creating a database here with information such as:

Age limitation? (No or list age)
Details - e.g., ok if have medical clearance letter from MD, DAN or other dive insurance, hard cutoff, just needs discussion, sign special waiver, etc.

This is not that unusual. Your DOB is on your cert card. I've gotten turndowns in a few different places, being in my 80s. Try renting a car outside the US if you are an older person.

Everybody? Or are you exaggerating for effect?
DAN US will insure you at any age.
Were you trying to dive without insurance, or trying to use their insurance, which probably DOES cut off at 70?
No, it is not universally true. I just came back from a group trip to Bonaire, for example, with multiple ;people over 70 -- one was 83 -- with no issues. We ALL had DAN insurance.
I'm sure the insurance the OP was referencing was the dive operator's liability insurance, not personal DAN insurance.

Back
Top Bottom