Our Santa Rosa NM Weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Greg!

Thanks for the update. You had me curious, to be sure.

So you think that the springs that feed The Hole, Perch, Rock Lake are all following old volcano vents. Not surpising. I knew that The Hole is not a "sinkhole," and I really shouldn't have been using the term. Still wonder why the spring water at The Hole comes out at 62 F, while Perch springs are at 50 F? Since water has been coming from the mountains to The Hole for thousands of years, I imagine the rocks along the way have averaged out the temp, so even if water entering at times is warmer than at other times, it'll still come out about the same. But, is there some way that the water that does to Perch is actually cooled on the way?

While we're at it, how do those Ice Caves SE of Albuquerque get cold enough to freeze water? :frosty:

http://www.rt66nm.org/NEWSLETT/98sprin3.html

Very cool stuff down there. I haven't been to Capulin, It sounds like somewhere I need to see though. My rock collection has been suffering lately.

The village of Capulin seems to be but 25 miles out of your way, each way, just east of Raton. The volcano is a Natl Monument, but the park ranger should be able to direct you to a spot that's legal for rock collecting.

http://www.nps.gov/cavo/

:)

We heard a rumor to that effect...supposedly a diver died in Rock Lake in the late 70s, early 80s and no recovery was completed.

If true, then there should be some gear at the bottom...but, this is probably as accurate as the purported 500' depth...which is closer to 275-280' as reported by at least two sources I know of...see the Abyss website and TDS.

I have never been to the ice caves, that would be a good outing to take my kids to see.
I don't have any background info on the ice forming in there.
I think the temperature differance between the lake and hole is fairly simple. The Blue Hole has a very active water drive, meaning it flows very fast. The water has no time to cool much. The ambient temperature of the earth raises the deeper you go. At 3500' it's usually around 105 degrees. So in the case of Perch Lake, it has a very poor water drive. The spring feeding it only trickles in. That means it has had plenty of time to cool off and even if the spring water coming in were warm, it couldn't warm the lake. This area is not warmed by geothermal energy like some places.
Crater Lake in Utah (97degrees?, year round) is fed by hot water from a hot spot under ground (thin section of the earths crust). It's like the one that feeds Old Faithful in Yellowstone.

Ok enough rambling.
greg

Back
Top Bottom