Our Santa Rosa NM Weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd still like to take Jerry below 100 feet before we go to Belize in June, so let me know the dates...?
:D

DandyDon:
I'd still like to take Jerry below 100 feet before we go to Belize in June, so let me know the dates...?
:D
You bet. May 15 & 16, June 12 & 13 and July 10 & 11 have been reserved for us. I'll keep in touch with the details as the dates get closer. When do you go to Belize?

ABQdiver:
You bet. May 15 & 16, June 12 & 13 and July 10 & 11 have been reserved for us. I'll keep in touch with the details as the dates get closer. When do you go to Belize?

Won't work for us. May 15 is Bottomless lakes, June 12 is Belize, and July 10 is Aquarena Springs. Oh well...

No worries. We'll have 3 Texas instuctors in our group of 27, and I'm sure the Dive Guides will keep us in line.

DandyDon:
Won't work for us. May 15 is Bottomless lakes, June 12 is Belize, and July 10 is Aquarena Springs. Oh well...

No worries. We'll have 3 Texas instuctors in our group of 27, and I'm sure the Dive Guides will keep us in line.
That's cool, at least your diving all those dates instead being stuck behind a desk or having to repaint the house, etc. It's all good!! :10:

Interesting,
I would love to hear what you find out about the history of the area. I know there is extensive carbonate reef deposits, limestone caverns to the north and west, it's part of the El Capeton reef complex. That is where the Carlsbad Caverns come into play as well. This area has more of a volcanic history. The carbonate rocks are burried under the Igneous stuff I think, I can't remember how much of a structural dip there is.
I do wonder if there isn't a huge lava tube system located somewhere down there. Rock Lake may drop into it. Hummmmmm, call in the cave diving gurus. I bet someone on the Deco Stop board has some info. I'll post there and see.
I will check the dates above. I would LOVE to dive it with you, I bet my brother would too. I'm only checked out to hit 130', been to 132' once on air.
Greg

ABQ,

Where exactly is Rock Lake?

That would make a really interesting dive for me, to actually go somewhere where I can't see the bottom and know it's beyond my limits. Would certainly put some emphasis on "bouyancy control".

Wijbrandus:
ABQ,

Where exactly is Rock Lake?

That would make a really interesting dive for me, to actually go somewhere where I can't see the bottom and know it's beyond my limits. Would certainly put some emphasis on "bouyancy control".
If you come into town on the first exit traveling East on I-40 as you pass under the railroad bridge there is a sign pointing to Rock Lake of to the right and South. It's not far past that point, maybe a couple or three miles.

Dr. Frankenmule:
Interesting,
I would love to hear what you find out about the history of the area. I know there is extensive carbonate reef deposits, limestone caverns to the north and west, it's part of the El Capeton reef complex. That is where the Carlsbad Caverns come into play as well. This area has more of a volcanic history. The carbonate rocks are burried under the Igneous stuff I think, I can't remember how much of a structural dip there is.
I do wonder if there isn't a huge lava tube system located somewhere down there. Rock Lake may drop into it. Hummmmmm, call in the cave diving gurus. I bet someone on the Deco Stop board has some info. I'll post there and see.
I will check the dates above. I would LOVE to dive it with you, I bet my brother would too. I'm only checked out to hit 130', been to 132' once on air.
Greg
Sounds like you know more about it than most. Do you know good resources for some research on the subject. I imagine there is some internet base info, and if that doesn't pan out maybe the good old fashion library would be a place to look.

ABQdiver:
Sounds like you know more about it than most. Do you know good resources for some research on the subject. I imagine there is some internet base info, and if that doesn't pan out maybe the good old fashion library would be a place to look.

I tried the net last night, but I'm not the best...

Yes, I've heard that the areas was once undersea, as was my home. We get fossilized seashells when we drill a new well to the waterbearing sands. I think the volanic activity in the area was after the rise, associated with the rise.

Ever been to the Capulin Volcano in the NE corner of New Mexico? The village is on a vent, but they have a young, obvious volcano nearby with a road going up. 60,000 year old, I think. Been by; gotta' go back and visit with a different girlfriend or none.
Look:http://www.nps.gov/cavo/

I has someone send me a link to a geo paper on the area.
There are three volcanic events in the area. The lakes all seem to trend on a pattern, which means I think they are all connected to a main tube or runners from a magma chamber. I think if there were a seismic study done, or echo soundings of the bottom of Rock lake, they would find the answer. I bet there was at one time a way to get into the tube/chamber, and the lake is more than 500' deep. There have been some statements from the 80s that the lake was 500' deep. I have had one guy tell me he has been 240' and still could not see a bottom. Definatley want to have good bouyancy skills in that lake. I bet there is more than Cow skeletons at the bottom..... There could be some 70s dive gear down there too.....
talk to you all later.
Greg

Very cool stuff down there. I haven't been to Capulin, It sounds like somewhere I need to see though. My rock collection has been suffering lately. I like volcanics, they are pretty cool stuff. The rocks off the bottom of Perch Lake are amazing, I need to grab a few more the next visit.
I have some ash from the Nova Rupta Volcano in Katmai Natl Park in Alaska. There is only a couple people in the US that has any. I got mine from a research project I did up there. Like I said, they are cool rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom