Our Next "Norte" - and it's a strong one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had a dime for every day these online weather forecasts said it was gonna be bad and woke up to see great weather I'd be rich. Weather changes on a dime in the tropics so I say unless a hurricane is coming or a tropical depression parks itself over you (I've experienced both) just wake up early, take a look outside, and make your decision then. The mess forecasted the night before can end up being a great day.
Weather does change quickly with winds and pressures, but this is a really harsh cold front with the coldest temps in 20 years for much of the US, following closely behind the one that's on Coz now. It looks bigger and more predictable than a hurricane, just not that strong.

See map at bottom...

Dear deepsea21

That has not been my experience at all. The hourly forecasts from windguru.com and WeatherUnderground.com are amazingly accurate, at least here in Cozumel. We compare them about everyday to observations and on line wind readings at the Cozumel airport. Especially with wind guru which has a star system to rate the value of their predictions. For this coming monday their predictions carry 3 stars and when we see that we have a lot of confidence thus we are prepositioning assets for an eastside dive. However, we will review things everyday in case of changes.
Windguru may be giving you other predictions, but Wunderground.com is showing north winds under 10 mph until noon Monday, then getting stronger - subject to change. Tuesday is looking like hard winds from the NNE, really iffy even for the east side - depending on how they actually arrive.

Hope no one misses any diving...

That said, I'd kill for a Cozumel norte right now. We have the same wind-strength with predictions of Monday getting windchills down to -50 F. Ugh. And work has decided cold is not a reason to get to work from home, despite having to walk 3/4 of a mile in from the parking lot.
I hope you have long johns. I can't imagine leaving the house without mine even here.

Thanks Christi and Dave.How does it look for tomorrow(Saturday)? Heard that it may not be good tomorrow.
Get fast info here if you want to watch it, including daily wind forecasts: Cozumel, Mexico Weather Forecast from Weather Underground

Two Lows currently on Texas borders leading the way. This map will probably update and change automatically...

national_forecast.jpg

Wind has died down from yesterday and it's just beautiful outside. I've got all my windows open and it's about 77 °C (25 °F). :happy:
Everybody is out on the water and getting in as much dive, beach, boat, pool time as possible before we get the blast. Will be interesting to see the waves later Monday/Tuesday. But for today...de-nial is my favorite river and I am totally enjoy this nice weather! Stay tuned!

Here is the latest WindGuru forecast as of 3:00pm CST

At 6am, winds out of the north at 10 - 12mph with increasing winds throughout the day, peaking at 32 - 40mph out of the north by mid to late evening.

I am willing to put money on it that if this forecast holds steady - the port will not open in the morning. We were hoping it would come in late enough to allow us to get out in the morning, but knowing what's coming, I was already not optimistic about the Harbor Master letting us out.

With this forecast, I am also not optimistic for Tuesday - Wednesday is still very iffy.

As for the East side dives tomorrow and Tuesday - this forecast doesn't look good for them either!

The good news, is that it's strong - the strong ones blow through and don't stick around long!

We had two beautiful dives this morning!!

One of these is in knots the other in mph - don't know why it attached both and can't delete them :)

Attachments

• 1.5.14.jpg
    1.5.14.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 1.5.14.jpg
    1.5.14.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 49
Wunderground is still thinking Coz will get an easy Monday morning, 7-9 mph winds until afternoon. It'd be sad for the Port boss to close it early in such a breeze. Tuesday & Wednesday look like alternate activities days. Even the ferries may see heavy use of seat bags. :sad:

Wunderground is still thinking Coz will get an easy Monday morning, 7-9 mph winds until afternoon. It'd be sad for the Port boss to close it early in such a breeze. Tuesday & Wednesday look like alternate activities days. Even the ferries may see heavy use of seat bags. :sad:

Don - Windguru and Buoyweather are much more accurate and reliable for the wind forecasts than any other site. Aside from that, of course they won't make the call until the morning when it's time. BUT - based on the windguru - winds straight out of the north at 6am at any speed is not favorable for us.

Hey Christi I hope it clears for our visit next week as we arrive on the 13th !!See you soon !!!

Well, it's blowing like heck out there right now and the low Monday night here in Austin is predicted to be 18 degrees, and that's Fahrenheit. This is supposed to be the baddest cold front we have had here in three or four years. No matter how bad it gets in Cozumel, I'd rather be there than here! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom