Otter bay hood with/without neck skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or dont breathe out of your nose :p

i don't *think* i do that, but i get air bubbles in the hood anyway...

i'll have to pay more attention...

and if you're looking down, i would expect you'd get exhaust bubbles from the regs in the hood...

and if you're looking down, i would expect you'd get exhaust bubbles from the regs in the hood...

psh maybe if you dont have a sweet custom fit hood like me :wink:

most of those bubbles come from your mask skirt IMO and nose breathing is a good habit to get rid of anyway

psh maybe if you dont have a sweet custom fit hood like me :wink:

most of those bubbles come from your mask skirt IMO and nose breathing is a good habit to get rid of anyway

yeah, i don't think i do that, because it tends to flood your mask.

i do use positive pressure in the mask to clear without my hands, but i believe i don't use enough pressure to cause skirt bubbles (because otherwise you wind up with mask flood issues).

its all unconscious at this point, though, so f if i know what i'm really doing...

Clearly your problem is head-down trim then. The nail hole would be a gear solution to a skills problem. Man, Lamont.

I have one of crickets hoods. Now 3 years old. It's held up pretty well but some of the seams are starting to split. The one thing I don't like is that huge fugly logo she puts on the hoods. It pretty much covers the entire side of the head.

I asked if she would make one with no logo and even offered to pay 2x and got the no answer. I ended up sanding off the logo on mine but will probably not buy another since I don't like being a walking billboard.

I'm going to have huge problems with this hood, if the theory holds up about the exhaling of the nose. I do that a lot, so there's one issue.

Also I noticed the face skirt is covering a huge part of my face, doesn't matter until you have to do a mask swap underwater. Yikes...

I test her out tomorrow and will report back...

I'm going to have huge problems with this hood, if the theory holds up about the exhaling of the nose. I do that a lot, so there's one issue.

Also I noticed the face skirt is covering a huge part of my face, doesn't matter until you have to do a mask swap underwater. Yikes...

Take your hood to Cricket. She will custom trim around your mask for no extra charge. It just takes a minute.

Yep. She's happy to do it, too!

There's a bit of an art to cutting the face hole, as the neoprene pulls back more as you cut it.

the 'huge' problem that you can solve with a hot nail?

(and the only reason i'm doing that is so i look like less of a coneheaded goofball in pictures and video...)

on the other hand, the more you have protecting your forehead, the more protection you have against ice cream headache...

i'd be cautious about trimming that back until you've dove it quite a bit.

Lamont,

I am speechless with the performance of the Otter bay hood. I will change NOTHING!!! This is the best possible scuba purchase I have ever done.

I literally feel my ears get this flush of really warm water that feels so nice, when I tap my head. I also get zero water movement in my neck, her seal is better than DUI's warm neck hoods by far. Her's is glued to your latex seal and therefore no water is exchanged at least not for me.

Then it appeared that my mask responded better with this hood because of the seal around my face.

I was expecting to get brain freeze when I descended down to 60 feet at the Barge in Monterey, it was 50 degrees. I felt nothing at all, I was shocked, "was I diving Monterey, what is going on?"

Then I get out and pull off my hood and my diving friend Kristina sees me and I tell her about my hood, she says, "wow your hair is still dry!"

Cricket you rock....

I will post pics of my otter hood dive as soon as they are available...

Nuff said...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom