Other Texas Scuba Parks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan to dive the Big "O" if it ever gets sunk, since Pensacola is an easy weekend trip (at least for diveaholics) from Houston. But I hate thinking so far in the future. The ship is currently in Beaumont for the hurricane season and is now scheduled to be sunk in May 2006. It was supposed to be sunk last May but some environmental studies were not ready. As if those environmental studies were necessary on the thousands of ships that have already been sunk off our coasts by storms.

My husband and I recently did the Scientific Diver course at Aquarena Springs. We love the place. The visibility is outstanding, 70 feet(?) almost as clear as the ocean. The springs are really cool to watch, there is tons of life there: bass, sunfish, gar, catfish, salamaders, turtles 3 foot across, endangered species! Its got to be the best inland dive site we have been to, better even than Vortex Springs in FL.
The one catch: when you go to Aquarena they expect you to work while underwater. We have had to pull hydrilla and other invasive plants and clean springs. It is not hard work and I think it is absolutely worth it to be able to dive in such a great place.
Look in www.diveaquarenasprings.com for more details.

Now THAT sounds like a good dive. HOw often will they let you dive down there? Is it just a one time thing for the class or can you go back?

Oh, they absoultely want you to come back! They need workers! The course is $200 and takes a Sat all day, Sun morning. It is a one time course/ one time fee. On Sat you learn about the endangered species and how not to squish them. Lunch break. Sat afternoon you do a bouyancy check: you swim through 3 hoops at different heights (see attached picture of the hoops test, got this pic from their website), swim through a cage without touching the sides, carry a 5 pound weight and put it down without shooting to the surface, and you have to be able to hover. Sunday is your first work dive. After being certified all you have to do to come back to dive (free!) is email Bridget, the dive manager, and she says "ok what day what time?" When you get there she gives you some work to do, which could be: pulling plants, cleaning springs, replanting, or cleaning the bottoms of the glass boats. They have air fills there (free!), but you have to bring all your own equipment. The depth there ranges from 7 ft - 30 ft so it is not deep at all, and in the shallows you have to be kind of careful of touring boats. Oh, and the water is 71 degrees year round so bring your gloves and hood! Feel free to PM me with any questions. I have also included two pictures that I took at Aquarena, one of a spring and one distance shot so you can see the vis there. I hope the picture attachments work!

Thanks for that info. That sounds like a lot of fun. I looked on their site and only see classes scheduled up until last weekend. I am hoping they have some in September so we can go this year.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole water temp to wetsuit requirements thing. Do you need a 3mm, 5mm, 7/5mm for this dive? That would give me reason to go buy more gear, hehe. Thanks.

Jarrett:
Thanks for that info. That sounds like a lot of fun. I looked on their site and only see classes scheduled up until last weekend. I am hoping they have some in September so we can go this year.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole water temp to wetsuit requirements thing. Do you need a 3mm, 5mm, 7/5mm for this dive? That would give me reason to go buy more gear, hehe. Thanks.

At 71f,,,,full 5mil/gloves/hood.

Jarrett:
Thanks, What do y'all think about layering? I hear some people talk about that.

No problem with layering in general (tech. it can limit therm. control---another chapter on that)....a 2 pc. farmer john set-up is versital....I prefer one pc. suits though myself.

Jarrett:
Thanks, What do y'all think about layering? I hear some people talk about that.

71 Degrees-
This is not a simple slide solution. People make general references but each person really needs to take into account how they feel in the water. Heavier males often do not nearly require the neoprene that ladies do. This needs to be mixed with your excise rate of the dive. Dives were you are not active will require more neoprene. Also remember that first ten feet is always the bear when it comes to suit compression and diving.

I have worn 3mm suits at 71 for very active dives. However, if I was planning on doing a dive were I was working in one area then I would consider that a “less active” dive.

Alan, makes a good comment about a 5mil suit. 5 Mil is pretty much a standard unless you are in the gulf and I wear a 3mm (really for protection.)

A good comfortable hood goes a long way to keeping you happy. Depending on what they are having you do- gloves may make things interesting.

Layering neoprene is a myth in my book. Buying an extra suit and building it on top just add restrictions and more buoyancy. Buy a heavier suit and cold water suits should have good neck, wrist, arm, and leg seals. There are some really good suits out there.

Personally, everyone should start with a general suit- 5mm or 7mm and a 3mm or shortie? Most Texas lakes the temp drops pretty quick below 60ft so your education (depth) will dictate the better heavier suit.

My first suit was a 7mm semi dry however; to get full use out of a 7mm you need to be diving most of the year. As a divemaster I did a 20 minute dive in 52 degree water and that was the limit of that 7mm suit. I personally like a 3mm for warmish water, below 75 I wimp out and hit my 5 mm. If it is a technical dive or anything that I am not sure then the drysuit comes out. So, the 5mm is really a fun suit and anything remotely coldish otherwise drysuit.
I did 8 years of diving before it and the drysuit is very worth while. Diveblondy will warn you though that is does nothing for your head or hands- this seems to affect ladies more than guys.

Weighting- I would suggest that advanced divers try this for fun and it helps to peel off excess weight. Finish a dive with about 500Psi in your tank or less then after you hang at 15ft see if you have any extra weight on you. You should be able to have no air in your wing. So at 15ft dump your wing and then start taking out a little bit of soft/hard weight at a time. If you feel too buoyant then add back 2 lbs. Also steel tanks are great for this. Just a thought.

RumBum:
Oh, they absoultely want you to come back! They need workers! I hope the picture attachments work!

Rum Bum thanks for the review- I found it very helpful.

Do they allow Juniors divers (kids?) Austin dives with us and he is 12.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom