Oriskany Vote Taken - Pensacola!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This wreck doesn't need to just be for tech divers, it will have something to offer everyone, even some freedivers. But not at that site.

What 'ya smoking over there?

Regulations require that the top of the vessel, when sunk, clear the surface by 50'. This is both a federal and state requirement; both impose it for safety and stability reasons. Less than 50' and she is subject to being moved by storms or potentially fouling shipping traffic that could impinge on the site, even though the area is marked on nautical charts.

Freediving? Nope. Not gonna happen.

Now all levels of divers? Yep. The top of the tower should come to just deeper than 50' from the surface. OW divers will be able to enjoy most of the tower. Those who are comfortable and able to go deeper will be able to enjoy the flight and hanger decks, as well as, of course, penetration diving.

We have very different sea conditions here than off Miami. On good days you can get out there in a JON BOAT. Now that's not very safe, but you can do it. I've seen plenty of days that you can literally waterski on the Gulf. On the Atlantic side this basically never happens due to the confluence of the currents and trade easterlies.

Pensacola was the right place for this wreck initially, and it still is. Holler at me when she's open for biz, and I'll be happy to show you why.

newdiverAZ once bubbled...
now I hope texas gets it.

Being from Texas, I thought it would be cool to have it here at first. But my understanding is that it would be out of Brownsville and a considerable way offshore.

It would be closer and easier for me to drive to Pensacola for it, and given all the information I've seen I think that would be the best place for it.

I just came back from Deerfield Beach/Boca Raton a month ago. I have to admit being in the water twenty minutes into the boat ride was convienent.

But, right now the most dived wreck in my log requires an hour and half boat ride (It is about 27 miles out, I believe.) in the charter operators six pack out of Alpena, MI. It is well worth the trip and I love that wreck. Long boat rides don't deter many divers. If you don't believe that, why is Providenciales such a popular dive destination? That is recreational diving and I don't think that I had a boat ride to West Caicos that was less than an hour and a half or so.

I have to agree with Genesis and the others on that point. Long boat rides also do not mean "tech divers only". They just mean more time to shoot the breeze about the dive and possibly a higher cost to get out there as the dive operators may not be able to do two runs per day to get more money out of the tourists.

I won't comment on the exact location as I have never been there and probably won't be soon with all of the wrecks in my backyard as it were (for only one wreck, I mean. I would love to dive some wrecks in say North Carolina or the Keys, where I could make a weekend out of it). But, I did feel like commenting on the boat ride issue.

Have a great day.

Come on genesis, we dont have anything like the oriskany, but we have the Empire Mica! and the accoceek, chipewa are pretty large and cool too. The article seems to indicate that there are specific requirements for sinking the vessle, and that miami didnt meet them, or that Pensacola had a better bid to meet the Navy reqs. Had they done miami, florida might not have gotten it.

Pensacola gets my vote I'm planning a trip there next fall and would love to dive a Battleship and a Flattop on the same trip. May hold off my trip til I can do both.

Genesis once bubbled...

Many. 20 miles is a normal run for me and many others. Its only an hour from the pass in most boats; a bit over an hour (about 70 minutes) in mine.

Hmm. lemme see, six to eight hour drive to Pensacola from Tampa, 1.5 hours to the wreck, one hour on the wreck, 1.5 hours back to shore and a eight hour drive back to Tampa....Only make sense for the locals...Please post pictures !!!!

Barry

Hmm. lemme see, six to eight hour drive to Pensacola from Tampa, 1.5 hours to the wreck, one hour on the wreck, 1.5 hours back to shore and a eight hour drive back to Tampa....Only make sense for the locals...Please post pictures !!!!

When I start running out there I will leave at or before daylight, hook the wreck and stay on it all day.

One dive? Bawahahahahaha... :)

As soon as its down and open for diving you can bet that I'll be down there with my video camera :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom