Ordered Light from LDS. Two months later still hasn't arrived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 months is way too long to wait for something from an LDS. 2 minutes is the right amount. They should have it instock. If they don't, then order it yourself online. That way you are in control.

The border is not the issue. Nothing gets "stuck at the border". The government wants their money. If there is duty to be paid, the package is sent to the nearest Canada Post pickup point and you get a notice to come pick it up (bring your credit card!). My pickup point is 2 blocks away at the back of a Shoppers Drug mart.

For online purchases, my expected worst case is around 10 business days to get a package delivered from the US. Fastest service was 3 days for some cell phone batteries since the distributor had a Canadian warehouse in Missasauga. I just recieved a strobe cable from Indonesia in 5 business days. Shipping was $14.

The LDS is out of line here. If you prepaid with a credit card tell the LDS that you are going to dispute the purchase (due to non delivery) and then call the credit card company. They will hold the money for a short while while they investigate. In the meantime you can order the light online and get it delivered pronto.

They want me to pay for the shipping now.

They said they originally made a mistake with the shipping price and now I have to pay more on pickup.

I mi am at a loss with how to deal with this

They said they originally made a mistake with the shipping price and now I have to pay more on pickup.

how did you pay originally?

they made a mistake. they eat it.

if you paid cash, you may have to pay their extortion. if you paid credit card, dispute it and find another provider.

P.S. how much did they charge you for the light? and how much do they want for shipping?

The border is not the issue. Nothing gets "stuck at the border". The government wants their money. If there is duty to be paid, the package is sent to the nearest Canada Post pickup point and you get a notice to come pick it up
I have had a package come where the box had been ripped apart, the item examined and the box put "back together" with enormous amounts of tape labeled "Opened by CBSA". It happens, though not often.
Also, if they use a delivery service such as UPS the item will go to a UPS warehouse that will hold the item hostage until you pay some ridiculous fee.

they made a mistake. they eat it.
Completely agree. They quoted you a price, which you paid. They shouldn't be be asking you to pay more after the fact.

Last edited:

Life is hard, they told you want they wanted for the product and you paid them for it. Either they deliver the product at the price they quoted or they give you back all you money. There typically is close to a 50% markup at the normal LDS on what they sell, so it's not like they can't afford it and maybe they will be more careful next time.

Decide whether you want to publicly disclose the shop after you are finished dealing with them. They have your $$$, you have a handle on their reputation. I'd bet you can cost them more than they can cost you.

But you might advise them of this thread.

Also, if they use a delivery service such as UPS the item will go to a UPS warehouse that will hold the item hostage until you pay some ridiculous fee.
UPS, Fedex, USPS are all the same. The ridiculous fee is called "duty", curtesy of your elected government. Not the fault of the carrier. Although I agree that Fedex and UPS items seemed to get dinged with duty most often.

I always try to get things delivered by a government carrier which ends up being given to Canada Post. I have never had to pay duty via this method (so i am winning!). The only time I have had to pay duty was via private carrier (Fedex, UPS) or when a moron ebay seller elected to use ebays global delivery service which collects duty at the time of sale.

---------- Post added September 14th, 2015 at 08:44 PM ----------

Sounds like you may be dealing with someone who is on credit hold with their vendor.
and / or they are waiting for a large enough order via the supplier to get price / shipping credits. Maybe they have not even ordered the light yet?

scuabdude: has the shop received the light? maybe they have not even ordered it yet...

---------- Post added September 14th, 2015 at 08:50 PM ----------

I have had a package come where the box had been ripped apart, the item examined and the box put "back together" with enormous amounts of tape labeled "Opened by CBSA".
They must be taking lessons from the dudes at TSA. We have about a 1 in 10 experience with the TSA busting our TSA compatible locks off of our suitcases and leaving a nice note inside our bag letting us know how important they are. It has been nice the last few vacations to not have to travel via the USA.

Idk I ordered an item from a shop in the uk and it was on my doorstep 5 days later and I did not pay any extra shipping it was sent dhl. Plus it's always been my experience that us customs could not care any less about things shipping out of the us. They are far more worried about what is coming in...

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom