Orca Bait February dive - Feb. 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20:
Oh and to NWGD and Uncle Pug, I figured out a major reason for my trim problems... I thing Bob and I must have been tripped out from the glue putting on my dry suit pockets the other night when putting my BP/W together . I'm bit embarrassed to admit this, but we failed to properly attach the wing to the BP on the bottom hole. The top was fine, but on the bottom I put the bolt through the slot on the side of the eye hole. Not sure if that makes sense, but the result was the bottom of the wing was shifted over 3-4 inches one way. No wonder I kept rolling over! :11:

Guess I had another "senior moment" ... glad you figured out the problem.

Uncle Pug and I stopped by my house to grab my doubles and another single tank and had a nice third dive at Redondo.

This was my 11th dive in my doubles, and for the first time I was able to relax and not have to struggle to maintain my trim ... it was most satisfying! Overall a very nice day to be underwater.

I'll start working on an Orca Bait March dive this evening ... this has proved to be a really nice way to meet people.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry about the out of focus pics of the lumpsucker but the little guy (1" in diameter) was zipping toward me so fast that this was the best I could do!

On the Sunrise dive I was actually thinking that the Wolfie might try to take my camera as a snack since I was holding it out to him to get the close up picture.

COOL ... you got the octopus eggs ... :D

And I'm still wondering what that last critter is.

Disappointed you didn't get a pic of the Puget Sound Frogfish ... it was a rare sighting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have another thread going in the *figureoutwhatmarinecritterthisis* forum and archman said it might be a this or a that... so I plugged that into google and I'm zeroing in on it. A common name might be sea angel which is exactly what it reminded me of... a little sea angel.

About the GPO eggs... I had shoved the camera in so far under the boat that I barely had room for my fingers to press the shutter. I couldn't see the eggs until I got home and downloaded the pics. Sure enought... there they are! :D

BTW... did you see the small sculpin unside down on the bottom of the boat? And the other one front and center on the bottom? :D

As for the Puget Sound Giant Frog Fish... I am really kicking myself for not at least attempting to get a picture for a more positive identification... but I think it is a distant relative of the Rototiller... same size and general appearance but with a unique locomotion.

Just wanted to chime in on how much I enjoyed the dives Saturday. Thanks to Grateful Diver for coordinating the trip--what a gorgeous day! Bones gets the pre-dive buddy-briefing award--it's amazing what you can pick up from divers with different training backgrounds. JasonH20--you missed the part about 'Bones' getting cold easily (the nickname is some indication). Too bad those big water heaters you were both strapped to don't live up to their monikers. Thanks Kalvyn for lending me the fin-keepers--I didn't have to play Cinderella on the second dive. I appreciate the restraint on the new thread GD, but mostly thanks for your mentoring (that makes me the "Grateful Dive Buddy"). Lamont, I know you'll be playing 'find the pin-holes' this week--good luck with that (brrrrrr). Ratso on the camera issues, DoubleDip--it seems to come with the territory, but UP posted his--thanks for sharing the pix Uncle Pug--great to have trip mementos, though I don't see a shot of the rare-and-seldom-seen 'Paralyzed Parking Fish.' (I looked in my fish ID book, under 'venomous marine life,' but to no avail...).

Let's do it again soon!!

Well I was left high and dry on the dock... I showed up when I was supposed to at 8:30 Saturday. There were about 8 of us, but no boat. Finally when it hit 9AM somebody called Rick Myer from Bandito. Apparently one of his boats lost a pump or something, and our boat went and got all the divers off the broken boat. Rick sounded like he was about to cry... I can imagine he lost a bunch of money over the weekend missing a boat (unless he got it fixed quick). Although I had saved myself $65, I was still pretty disppointed myself. So I went around the bay to Les Davis, found a buddy and got a couple of nice dives in there.

I had a little bit of excitement at Les Davis when a fisherman hooked my drysuit and started reeling me in. I grabbed my buddy and he cut me loose. Fortunately no holes in the drysuit. On the 2nd dive my buddy got caught... I didn't have a knife but since the hooks were barbless I was able to get him out without problems. We didn't go near the pier, but still found lots of fishing line. That seems like kind of a dangerous place to dive.

Jerry

Uncle Pug:
As for the Puget Sound Giant Frog Fish... I am really kicking myself for not at least attempting to get a picture for a more positive identification... but I think it is a distant relative of the Rototiller... same size and general appearance but with a unique locomotion.
I was telling Linda about the frogfish we saw as she and I were on the way to Cannon Beach (yes, I saved my marrige by the way!), and she was just cracking up at my description of what we were observing down there.

It was nice diving with you for two hole dives, UP... I think that was a first. :) I had a great time with everyone on the boat, and look forward to the next Orca Bait trip! I agree with NWGratefulDiver; it's a great way to meet local divers.

Jimmie

kalvyn:
It was nice diving with you for two hole dives, UP
And not once did I use you as a scooter! :D

BTW... I should have mentioned... the Lumpsucker was Jimmie's find. They are very hard to spot since they look like just one more rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom