Orange seals for SP 156/250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I was having trouble with a free-flowing G250 that I overhauled a little while back but don’t use often. When I took it apart I noticed the seal I used was orange and It felt harder (more like plastic) than the other seals I have. It would be peculiar of me not to check this when I installed it so I feel like it got harder over time - almost like a skin hardening.

Has anyone else noticed anything with the orange seals?

I have compared the aftermarket orange seats with black SP seats and don't recall a noticeable difference in performance, at least at the time of rebuild. I wonder if the orange seat giving issues was hardened from age?

I was thinking the same. It almost feels like it “skin hardened”. I updated my OP as the difference in WOB was probably due to the orange seal having the adjustment knob cranked down, but wide open for the black seal.

Yes, the adjustment knob setting would explain the difference.

Not sure what material the rivet style seats are are made of, or if it is different for OEM vs aftermarket. When wondering about the seat aging, I was thinking of how orings have a shelf life that varies depending on material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom