Options for rec divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have rebreathers been simplified and downsized in price for recreational divers yet? If so, how much does it cost to get in to a basic model?

Have rebreathers been simplified and downsized in price for recreational divers yet? If so, how much does it cost to get in to a basic model?

I recently organized a tryout for the local dive shop using the new ISC Predator
This rebreather will be targeted to the recreational market and will be sold in the $5000 price range. It should be available in a month or so. Have a look at the pictures, it is a very light, compact unit.
The Dive Outfitters Forum • View topic - ISC Predator pool trydive

Wow, that's compact. Not knowing much about rebreathers was there a BCD wing on that rig?

Wow, that's compact. Not knowing much about rebreathers was there a BCD wing on that rig?

No but it bolts to a standard boneplate type backplate so any small single tank wing will work or even (shudder) a poodle jacket

according to poddiver radio a while back, another inexpensive good-for-rec-divers one is the draeger dolphin.

I don't think we are there yet. Even the "recreational" models are very expensive, epensive to train on, and require consumables. Not to mention the fact that a rebreather introduces a few dozen new ways to kill yourself. Do a search on mortality rates for OC vs. CC and you'll see what I mean. I just don't see the payoff ever coming for recreational diving. The only exception in my eyes would be for serious photographers. Other than that, I don't think CCR makes sense until you are diving well beyond recreational limits. Just my opinion, of course.

Actually, the more I have thought about it, the more it seems to me that a CCR makes the most sense for either the committed recreational diver, or the exploration-type technical or cave diver. It's the middle ground, the "light technical" where I don't see much advantage.

Being able to do the trip I'm about to do to Canada with just a couple of small bottles would make life much easier; going places where Nitrox is a hassle would be easier, too.

I'm curious about the Predator, but also very intrigued with the new Poseidon rebreather -- I like the idea of continuous calibration, and also the fact that the unit is entirely self-testing and simply won't operate if it finds an issue. (Of course, I've never seen one!) There is no question, however, that ANYONE who wants to dive a rebreather has to be a committed, methodical and careful person. They have a lot more ways to kill you than OC does.

I don't think we are there yet. Even the "recreational" models are very expensive, epensive to train on, and require consumables. Not to mention the fact that a rebreather introduces a few dozen new ways to kill yourself. Do a search on mortality rates for OC vs. CC and you'll see what I mean.

It is not really fair to compare mortality rate when most RB accidents occur when the diver is doing something beyond what most OC tech diver do, let alone rec divers.
In a recreational environment and when used as per manufacturers guidelines and with proper training a RB is quite safe. The problem lies with the fact a RB gives a diver the ability to push beyond what they could do with OC scuba and many succeed, unfortunately some fail.

I recently organized a tryout for the local dive shop using the new ISC Predator
This rebreather will be targeted to the recreational market and will be sold in the $5000 price range. It should be available in a month or so. Have a look at the pictures, it is a very light, compact unit.
The Dive Outfitters Forum • View topic - ISC Predator pool trydive

I've never dove a rebreather and was wondering. A lot of (higher-end) rebreather training seems to require (prior) deco knowledge and experience, presumably because it's easier to incur deco requirements with them. How much is this an issue with so-called 'recreational' rebreathers, or how does the training for these units deal with depth/time limits? With repetitive multi-level dives, do you end up being more reliant on the dive computer than on OC? Or are these types of units heavily dependent on computers to operate them, and the added risk of depending on them for nitrogen loading is relatively small?

It is not really fair to compare mortality rate when most RB accidents occur when the diver is doing something beyond what most OC tech diver do, let alone rec divers.
In a recreational environment and when used as per manufacturers guidelines and with proper training a RB is quite safe. The problem lies with the fact a RB gives a diver the ability to push beyond what they could do with OC scuba and many succeed, unfortunately some fail.

An RB can kill you plenty dead well within recreational limits. A good friend of mine, Paul Blanchette, who had extesive experience deeper than 300 feet, died on the wreck of the Chester Poling early this summer.

The incident was ultimately found to be caused by diver error, despite the fact that Paul was one of the most meticulous divers I ever met.

The Poling is only 90 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom