Opinions wanted: Swap Oceanic VTX to get a Suunto D6i (or something else?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you already have the transmitter for the VTX, the Perdix AI is a no brainer!! Get rid of the VTX wrist unit, keep the VTX transmitter and buy the Perdix AI without transmitter and then use the Perdix with the transmitter you already have and you will have possibly one of the 3 best AI dive computers out there.

Excellent information. I was wondering if my VTX transmitter was compatible but did not even bother to ask/check as i assumed all transmitters have their proprietary connections per manufacturer... great info!

Now, which other two computers are ranking 'best'? Curious.

My two pennies:

Suunto is still very popular, so it has good resale value. And it has great design. Most of their stuff just looks very good, especially their watch-sized computers. The competition invariably comes up with piss poor design watches.

I have been browsing for a new computer in the past few weeks and was close to digging out 750 Euros for their D6i Novo zulu, which looks kick ass (I think).

But then I slept on it and realised that I had forgotten what I'd started out doing in the first place: finding a dive computer with value for money. And in my opinion Suunto is anything but that, even here in Europe where Suunto products seem to be quite cheaper than in the US.

To be honest I think they have started lagging behind a bit. If you look at their new line of products, it's just the old stuff with a new lick of paint and the word Novo added (the irony!). Except for the Eon, which is new, but not really a winner, so it seems.

If I were you, I'd try to get my money back and take your time to look around carefully, checking for good second hand deals. But that may not be possible in this case, so you'd be bound by what your LDS has on the shelves. In that case make sure not to confuse what you want with what you need.

All that said, the D6i is a pretty looking watch of course.

Good luck

I have to admit that I am also bias towards design and looks. I am eyeballing the Zulu for that reason. I think that Suunto's are outdated by now with regards to their screens. Functionality wise, I would assume that they are good, reliable and would get the job done. Are they overpriced? Yes, I think heavily overpriced - but still cool looking.

I dont mind second hand but would not try to press for a refund with my LDS as they are (so far) very accommodating and I want to return that with new business (plus getting warranty).

As others said, what's on offer other than Suunto and for how much?

I want to say this is up to me really. I might have to pay retail (no discounts) but would get store credit for the VTX. So, budget wise, I would be ok to spend about $1,300 considering the trade-in.

I want to say this is up to me really. I might have to pay retail (no discounts) but would get store credit for the VTX. So, budget wise, I would be ok to spend about $1,300 considering the trade-in.

If you already have the transmitter, drink the SB Kool-Aid and buy a Perdix AI. PPS transmitters are compatible with that and PPS computers: Oceanic, Hollis, etc. of which the Perdix is easily the best option.

PS if you're after a watch-size computer, aqualung 450 should be compatible with that transmitter, but I'd double-check with AL dealer/support.

which other two computers are ranking 'best'? Curious.

Ratio has two computers, the wrist and the watch models. Scubapro just came out with the G2. I have heard and read many rave reviews about it.

If you already have the Oceanic/VTX transmitter, then wouldn't make sense to buy Ratio or SP computers since you will have buy their respective transmitters since the VTX transmitter is only compatible with: Perdix AI, Oceanic computers and the Aqua Lung computers.

If you get rid of the Oceanic transmitter along with the VTX, then all options are open then. Myself, I am partial to the Ratio computers.

Last edited:
However good they may be as a computer (I have no doubt they are) the Ratio watches look clunky and cheap compared to the Suunto watches. Frankly I wouldn't want to to be found floating face down with them.
I think Perdix is the way to go here, as suggested. Great resale value too.

Btw, I looked it up and Suunto prices in the US are totally ridiculous if you ask me.

The Perdix looks great and has great reviews. I really wanted a watch style computer this time around but functionality might beat looks here.

I especially like that I could re-use my transmitter as it is quite beaten up by now, yet has plenty of life left (I assume).

Again, thanks for the great input here!

PS if you're after a watch-size computer, aqualung 450 should be compatible with that transmitter, but I'd double-check with AL dealer/support.
Aqualung is limited to offering only PZ+ and not DSAT, personally, I would not compromise

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom