Opinions wanted: Swap Oceanic VTX to get a Suunto D6i (or something else?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However good they may be as a computer (I have no doubt they are) the Ratio watches look clunky and cheap compared to the Suunto watches. Frankly I wouldn't want to to be found floating face down with them.
I think Perdix is the way to go here, as suggested. Great resale value too.

Btw, I looked it up and Suunto prices in the US are totally ridiculous if you ask me.

Ratio has TWO types of computers, wrist rectangular type with big screen that has a very wider angle of viewing (more than any other computer out there) and watch type of computers that are solid computers and the numbers are more clear and easier to read than the Suunto (I have owned Suuntos since early 90's until now). There nothing "clunky" about either version of the Ratio computers, I have tested them in person myself.

I look at them as dive computers not as a fashion statement (Ratio has jewelry decorated version of their watch type computer however. It seems to sell well for them, they are Italians after all :) )

Ratio transmitter is an unnecessary Christmas tree light. What the hell were they thinking?

Being able to know your tank pressure without reaching out for the wrist unit and turning it on??

The lower end units only have only preset GFs, you have to get the high end units for custom GFs.

If you are just a recreational diver, you won't understand or need GF in these models. You can buy the lower end (not the lowest end) now as a recreational diver and software/firmware upgrade to the upper models later when you need to upgrade.

If you are technical diver, you are going to buy the higher end/technical version of the computers from the beginning anyways. If I were a recreational diver who will be going technical in a year or so, I'd start with the technical version from the beginning and not worry about it, the cost difference is insignificant (I'd skip eating out a couple of times and I'd have saved the money for higher end version :) ).

NOTE: The software/firmware upgrade only applies to the dual processor versions only.

Just to circle back on this thread: I decided to go with a Perdix.

The LDS was gracious enough to take in my VTX and swap that against a Perdix without additional cost. I am scheduled for a local dive in SOCAL end of July and will give the Perdix a first spin.

Thanks to everyone for their input here. Looking forward customizing the Perdix and put it to good use.

Last edited:
Quickly to loop back: Took the Perdix for the first three dives on the weekend in Catalina and I am more than happy.

Setup was easy and intuitive, pairing the receiver worked flawlessly, upgrading to the latest firmware was a breeze and connecting the unit to my phone (Divemait) via Bluetooth worked instantly. All these seamlessly 'easy' tasks did not really work too well on my previous VTX (especially connecting to my laptop and phone via USB cable was a very very frustrating undertaking).

Now, using the Perdix is fun! The display was perfectly readable in all situations (from bright to dark). The transmitter did not loose connection once during the dives and was spot on when sporadically compared to my backup SPG.

I bought some bungee straps and added those instead of the clip on straps (I thought some surgical tubing was also included in the box but did not see those?). The bungee straps worked surprisingly very well once i adjusted them to a somewhat right fit.

Overall, I am super happy with the Perdix and glad I posted my question here to get all the input.

Thanks again for the feedback and opinions - very much appreciated.

Quickly to loop back: Took the Perdix for the first three dives on the weekend in Catalina and I am more than happy.

Setup was easy and intuitive, pairing the receiver worked flawlessly, upgrading to the latest firmware was a breeze and connecting the unit to my phone (Divemait) via Bluetooth worked instantly. All these seamlessly 'easy' tasks did not really work too well on my previous VTX (especially connecting to my laptop and phone via USB cable was a very very frustrating undertaking).

Now, using the Perdix is fun! The display was perfectly readable in all situations (from bright to dark). The transmitter did not loose connection once during the dives and was spot on when sporadically compared to my backup SPG.

I bought some bungee straps and added those instead of the clip on straps (I thought some surgical tubing was also included in the box but did not see those?). The bungee straps worked surprisingly very well once i adjusted them to a somewhat right fit.

Overall, I am super happy with the Perdix and glad I posted my question here to get all the input.

Thanks again for the feedback and opinions - very much appreciated.
Look in the zipped mesh pocket of the computer case where the extra o rings and things where. There should be surgical bungee looped in there. It gets pushed around the perimeter of the space inside there. If it'still not there then someone at the LDS may have removed it and forgot to put it back.

Look in the zipped mesh pocket of the computer case where the extra o rings and things where. There should be surgical bungee looped in there. It gets pushed around the perimeter of the space inside there. If it'still not there then someone at the LDS may have removed it and forgot to put it back.

Excellent - I looked again and, yes, the extra bungee's were in the mash compartment a bit hard to see. I will try those once i have a set of extra bungee's as replacement.

Thank you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom