Opinions on Nekton Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999:
I also have thought about it. Wonder why this one is so cheap though? Anyone know?
=====================================
Call Nekton and ask Pam directly.

'Slogger

Damselfish:
They probably just know they need to offer a deal to help fill the boat around that time.

May be, and unfortunately so. It is an odd thing how most dive trip buying decisions are determined by price. I would rather spend $X more and get the best possible shot at using up a commodity that I feel is more valuable than money... my time.

The main questions and doubts about the Nekton are easily ignored when you have the facts. Crowded? Only if you are in a horse race to get to the dive deck. Hang back 5 minutes and then go for it...Until everybody figures that out! eyebrow It starts to relax after the second dive. A pace develops.

No Blue Hole? Over-rated, way too deep for all but a few divers, the sheer remote distance and time from any recompression facility, and did I mention... over-rated? This is probably the single greatest somplaint about the itinerary, yet for those who know, it really means nothing. But it is kind of like fantasizing about a Hollywood hottie, the expectation is the best part. Although Belize Tourism continues to hype it as a destination signature dive, they always show pix of it from the air. Why no pix of the dive itself? You do the math.

My only caveat is the night diving. As with any dive situation, they are all different. Look at the way she is moored to the pin. Do this in the daylight, as they always dive at the night dive lopcation first in the daylight. You jump in, follow the huge underwater torpedo-hull forward. There is no obvious and apparent painter (anchor) line until you understand where it enters the water from above and at what angle. It is several yards off of the port bow (10 o'clock if you will). Understand where it "runs" and you'll easily find your way to the mooring pin... and back and forth. Most every other ship has that anchor line just under the pointy end of the ship, pretty hard to miss, but at the same time, the 'head bonking' coefficient increases on boats of the more common hull designs.

The entry and exit system can't be beat. Christmas tree ladders above a long stainless 15' deco bar with extra regulators hanging. This is a great place to "clip off" and veg out. You will see amazing things if you just hang there for a half our, motionless. The first level of your exit is a very wide carpeted platform in 6" of water, then broad steps up with stout rails. A camera barrel on each side, always a helping hand if you reach out. My favorite entry is a roll off the side of the dive deck- not for the feignt of heart, but it saves a few steps and stairs.

I have been aboard most liveaboards in the Caribbean basin and environs. A few aren't even around anymore. Nekton gets my money.

Never disappointed and certainly the best way to see Belize. Land based aint makin' it, at least not for the people that want a "dive vacation" (versus a vacation with some diving).

I haven't been on the Nekton but I think the fact that it doesn't do the Blue Hole is a point in its favor. That is something I don't like about the itinerary of the other boats. I'd much rather get in a couple other dives than waste my bottom time at BH.

RoatanMan:
It is an odd thing how most dive trip buying decisions are determined by price. I would rather spend $X more and get the best possible shot at using up a commodity that I feel is more valuable than money... my time.
I agree, I care much more about having a good trip than money. But I wouldn't call it odd - if someone can't afford something, they can't.

RoatanMan:
May be, and unfortunately so. It is an odd thing how most dive trip buying decisions are determined by price. I would rather spend $X more and get the best possible shot at using up a commodity that I feel is more valuable than money... my time

well not everyone may be mr. moneybags like you, you know some of us are either in college, have a low paying job or whatever it may be.....so thats why price determines a trip.

One question though....if you are going on the trip as a signle I see that nekton will attempt to pair you up in a cabin with another single, but what about diving? Do they just let you jump in and dive by yourself or do they pair you up with a dive buddy?

jaydub:
well not everyone may be mr. moneybags like you, you know some of us are either in college, have a low paying job or whatever it may be.....so thats why price determines a trip.

Even before I became a member of the Forbes "Top 987,987", I waited until I could afford the best choice. I fear that what is described is more an issue of needing instant gratification versus values that drives many. Wait and get what you want versus having less right now. We all make choices.

If you look at the websites of the various other boats, you will see that the lower prices shown might be a plus for Nekton. Nekton seems to be on the lower end of the other offerings that range from $1900-2400.

One question though....if you are going on the trip as a signle I see that nekton will attempt to pair you up in a cabin with another single, but what about diving? Do they just let you jump in and dive by yourself or do they pair you up with a dive buddy?

It is assumed that you will buddy with your cabin mate, but there is no requirement. according to the website, they "advocate" the buddy system. The used to require it, but I believe the rules have changed to reflect solo diver competency.

jaydub:
=================================
Have never done Nekton solo. Always had my kids or my wife with me. That said, as a Divemaster they have let me dive solo since I do photo and tend to stay under the boat. As a single diver onboard either of the Nekton boats you have the choice of buddying up with another single diver or making a threesome. Another thing they offer, and announce before every dive, is one of the crew going with you as a buddy. I think it's a bit of a perk to the crew, since otherwise they would probably be stuck on the dive deck or bubble watching all day.

'Slogger

RoatanMan:
Even before I became a member of the Forbes "Top 987,987", I waited until I could afford the best choice. I fear that what is described is more an issue of needing instant gratification versus values that drives many. Wait and get what you want versus having less right now. We all make choices.
I don't think it has anything to do with instant gratification, at least not in a negative sense. The "best" choice is pretty subjective and depends on alot of things. Each person decides what their minimum acceptable experience is, then waits until they can do that. Even if everyone agreed on what best was (hah!), does that mean nothing else is worth doing? (Besides, if someone who dives only on vacation chooses a more expensive trip once per year or less, instead of more cheaper trips, then someone here would just be sneering that they are a "vacation" diver and don't dive enough to be safe. :wink: )

Look at something like Blackbeard's, many people like it and part of the attraction for many people is certainly the price. I personally would probably rather not dive than go on Blackbeard's, but I would never dream of telling someone they shouldn't go on Blackbeard's but instead wait a couple years to go on a dive trip while they save their money for my definition of "best." At the same time I wouldn't tell someone they were wrong to take the Belize Aggressor because it cost more than the Nekton, if it was just because my personal preferences and sense of cost/benefit favored the Nekton.

It's sort of odd to dump on someone who is interested in going on a boat you rave about, just because they can consider it more seriously when they're running a special...

Damselfish:
(Besides, if someone who dives only on vacation chooses a more expensive trip once per year or less, instead of more cheaper trips, then someone here would just be sneering that they are a "vacation" diver and don't dive enough to be safe. :wink: )

:06:ff topic, like so much else. Sorry I got dragged into it.

Nekton sucks, stay away. Too few spots available even now. Maybe that will open up a few weeks for us safety seeking vacation divers.

out.

Footslogger:
=====================================
Call Nekton and ask Pam directly.

'Slogger

called nekton today and they stated its a slow time of year for them, which is why they discount those particular weeks in order to "fill the boat"

Also asked about singles and was told that they will attempt to pair you up with another single in the same cabin and also will do the same with diving, find yourself a dive buddy by pairing you with another single....and if there isnt one available they will assign a staff member to be your dive buddy.

I am just now buying my own equipment and will more than likely be booking the southern belize nekton itinerary. Only thing is that they dont tell you that there is an additional $195 charge for park fee's and other weird "belize fee's"

jaydub:
I am just now buying my own equipment and will more than likely be booking the southern belize nekton itinerary. Only thing is that they dont tell you that there is an additional $195 charge for park fee's and other weird "belize fee's"
=========================================

Not absolutely sure but I think there's a disclosure about these "fees" on their website. For what it's worth ...just about every liveaboard I know of has these types of fees. When you book the trip they are itemized on your statement so you do know exactly what they represent.

Enjoy your trip. Wish we were going ...

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom