Opinions on CO sensor or detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbtut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at buying a portable CO detector. I'm not a "hard core" diver by any means, but I usually go on 1 or two dive trips a year. As far as I know I've never had bad air. However, I was nervous about my air on our trip to indonesia two years ago. I'll be traveling to Mexico and the philipeans this year and would like to have a CO sensor.

As far as my personal needs: I don't care about knowing exact amounts, just whether it's going to kill me or not. Of course having an accurate reading is always a good thing. I'd like simple, accurate, and low maintenance. I'd also like it to be easily portable and small. I'd further prefer it be cheaper if possible.

I've searched and see some reviewes, but not all of these options are compared.

So these are what I've found:

Pocket CO (cheap, small, simple, but just looks kinda hokey, is it reliable?) $140
Order the Pocket CO - Carbon Monoxide Detector

Drager Pac CO (Haven't seen used for Scuba. Spec sheet looks great 1ppm resolution, 15 second test time, good up to 90% humidity, 2yr warranty) $190
General DCO1001 Carbon Monoxide Detector Digital General Tools & Instruments Formerly Mannix DCO1001 DCO 1001 DCO-1001

DCO 1001 (electromechanical sensor = longer sensor life?, accurate to 99% humidity, larger 6" size, low cost) $ 160
General DCO1001 Carbon Monoxide Detector Digital General Tools & Instruments Formerly Mannix DCO1001 DCO 1001 DCO-1001

ToxiRae III (higher sensitivity 0.1ppm in a 0-100ppm scale - seems best for diving air although not necessary- durable, relatively small, medium cost) $190
http://www.pksafety.net/toxi-rae-3.html

Analox EII CO (Specially made for diving, ease of use, but new and high cost) $350.
Analox EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Co - Cop (small package, simple, low tech, idiot proof, but requires replaceable sensors which may be an issue if you run out on a trip) $55 plus $6 sensors
Carbon Monoxide tester for scuba and firefighting

Any opinions or other suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Toxirae III at this point because it's about half the price of t Analox and is very sensitive. It also would work well for general use as a safety device for boating or live aboard trips.

Thanks,

jbtut

The Toxirae is designed to provide sampling of ambient air. I think that you would have a hard time testing the air in a scuba cylinder with it unless you bought some hoses and plastic bags and use it like the Pocket CO unit. IMO that process is a pain in the ass and take way too long, but it's cheap.

I am partial to the Analox products. You turn it on, crack the scuba cylinder, stick the nub to the cylinder valve and read the display as it stops changing. Easy, no tubes, hoses or bags.

The Toxirae does state that it is housed in a metal case, water proof and shock resistant so it is more robust than the Analox, but I keep my Analox units in a pelican case and I am fairly carful about not dropping or letting them get wet.

There's very little 'need' for a CO unit. However, if it brings you peace of mind, then it's a good thing. Plus, it doesn't hurt the scuba industry to see customers turning up for diving with a CO monitor...keeps us on our toes :wink:

I've never used a CO monitor, but was very impressed with my Analox nitrox analyzer.

There's very little 'need' for a CO unit. However, if it brings you peace of mind, then it's a good thing. Plus, it doesn't hurt the scuba industry to see customers turning up for diving with a CO monitor...keeps us on our toes :wink:

I've never used a CO monitor, but was very impressed with my Analox nitrox analyzer.

I've been a bit on the fence of whether I should buy one or not.

You may be aware that there was an incident recently in Cozumel Mexico where a couple divers were in life threatening condition as a likely result of a few tanks of bad air from a reasonably reputable dive shop with its own compressor. I've seen no results of any test of the tanks that those two divers had.

Although I've never experienced an air issue I've also never had a regulator fail, but I still carry an Octo. And when I look at the $ I've put into diving and the cost of a dive trip, $200 is relatively inexpensive compared to the consequences of getting a single tank of bad air.

I'm also wondering how often a tanks with something like 15ppm are used where it's not life threatening, but will still make you a little sick. They might give you nausea or mild vomiting upon surfacing, but you'd never really know if that was the issue or something else.

Anyway maybe it's a waste? I don't know.

Having experienced bad air I think they are a great tool when traveling to remote dive destinations which might have questionable fill station maintenance that I experienced 1st hand in the Bahamas

I'm considering making a custom bag for the ambient air type monitors. It seems like it could be very simple. Just cut apart a cheap SMB and add/glue in a window. as well as shorten it to about 4" long and put some type of sealable opening in it. That way you can throw the tester in, and fill it up. Pull the dump valve to empty and it's quick and easy, plus you have a water tight cover that doubles as your test bag.

If I go that route I'll post a few pics.

I'm considering making a custom bag for the ambient air type monitors. It seems like it could be very simple. Just cut apart a cheap SMB and add/glue in a window. as well as shorten it to about 4" long and put some type of sealable opening in it. That way you can throw the tester in, and fill it up. Pull the dump valve to empty and it's quick and easy, plus you have a water tight cover that doubles as your test bag.

If I go that route I'll post a few pics.

JB,

ToxiRAE III is great, get a 500 PPM one. It is IP67 rating meaning it is VERY water proof or 30 minutes sumbersion at 1 meter depth = IP67 or IPX7 some standard call it.

It is also Ex class, meaning it can be used in area where there is potential gas to EXplode. EX class is indirectly saying it is gas tight to some degree.
Anything used for supporting diving activities MUST be as waterproof as possible because you are in wet environment. Drop other non IP67 detector in a camera tub, bye bye. With EX class, the electronics inside will not be exposed to salty humid air = last longer and consistently more accurate over the long run.

ToxiRAE also has special filter to filter out some nasty interference from other gas.
This is important/

For best accuracy testing gas, the key is repeatability of the test method.
Buy that BCD type flow regulator.

http://www.techdivinglimited.com/
Home :: Analyzers :: Analyzer Accessories :: BC Connector for Gas Analysis

You can blow air from scuba tank to ToxiRAE 3, don't use the calibration cup...it will be accurate but ambient air may interfere. With practice, you can do it accurately because of higher air flow from tank valve does not readily mix with ambient air if you place the sensor 1 inch away from valve air hole and decent air flow, not too strong.

If you use that BCD type clip which is actually a 2 liter per minute baby regulator, you have best accuracy and no way you will get ambient air interference, say like the back of a diesel boat trying while to plane and sending black smoke.

Have fun shopping..........

I have two of Toxi RAE 3 and one of QRAE2, ToxiRAE 3 is faster response.
I have given as present two of ToxiRAE3 to my senior friends, they loved it.
I am getting two more Toxi RAE 3 for my friends ( not as present ), because they love my T3 :D

Some said that Analox is great product too but I am never a fan of unregulated air supply when testing gas. At low reading of PPMs, you crank open the valve too much, excessive pressure will effect reading due to partial pressure. I have the Analox 02 meter ( the cheapest one ), but not the CO one but prefer Oxy-Spy for oxygen meter ( I have one too ) because I do not need to do correction with that paper table.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom