Carbon Monoxide Detection for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great product but with how cheap pelican cases are it would be a really nice gesture if they shipped it in a waterproof case....
Or get one yourself. O2 sensors last longer stored in one.

How does CO end up in the tank? Is this only a problem of gas powered compressors sucking in their own exhaust fumes?

How does CO end up in the tank? Is this only a problem of gas powered compressors sucking in their own exhaust fumes?
Nope, and sadly too many fill stations aren't aware.

Hot, busy compressors can burn their own lubricating oils creating CO and it only takes minute quantities to injure, incapacitate - especially bad under water, or kill.

Increases in partial pressure of breathing gas at depth magnifies the effect of even the smallest potions, and CO binds to blood reducing O2 absorption. If problems occur at depth, the worst thing you can do is ascend as PPO drops while CO stays, but then what else can you do?

that's one way. Another is if one of the stages in the compressor is overheating and not sealing you can burn the oil and create CO that comes in via the rings. On electric compressors you can have a truck idling too close to the air intake or just upwind of it and it will suck the CO in through the intake. Most of the shops that I've seen in strip malls have a security camera that looks around the intake plenum and they will kill the compressor if a truck is moving around it. Lots of ways for it to get in unfortunately and unless the shop is doing CO analysis from the banks after the compressor shuts down each time, there is no other way to know.

I use the SensorCon tester and don't have any problem checking from my tank or regulator. Just don't blast the air into the sensor or you will get a false reading.

On a side note I just went to Cozumel to go cave diving. I got there a few days ahead of my buddies and had planned to do some diving. Just prior to leaving I got sick and had a head cold so I was stuck not being able to dive till the day before they got there. I got on a dive boat for a reef dive and I analyzed my tanks for Co and O2. I was just diving air. I was amazed at the number of people diving Nitrox on the boat and what really blew my mind was that not one of them analyzed their tanks for anything. They just took the word of the DM / crew that the mixes were right.

Last edited:
I use the SensorCon tester and don't have any problem checking from my tank or regulator. Just don't blast the air into the sensor or you will get a false reading.

On a side note I just went to Cozumel to go cave diving. I got there a few days ahead of my buddies and had planned to do some diving. Just prior to leaving I got sick and had a head cold so I was stuck not being able to dive till the day before they got there. I got on a dive boat for a reef dive and I analyzed my tanks for Co and O2. I was just diving air. I was amazed at the number of people diving Nitrox on the boat and what really blew my mind was that not one of them analyzed their tanks for anything. They just took the word of the DM / crew that the mixes were right.

Interesting: the operation I dove with on Coz didn't allow you to use nitrox without checking them and signing a sheet where YOU had to write down the analysis result on the log and the tank tape, along with your name and MOD. Generally they operated the meter because they're faster at it, but you watched them do it, and they showed you the reading so you could write it down. They did the physical hauling of the tanks to the boat, though.

Wow! And I have seen divers there who thought they were on air for the deeper dive only to learn after that they were on their nitrox tanks. It's just safer to check every tank for O2 and CO.

I got my cootoo recently as well. Works great, and costs less than my standalone analox CO tester did by its-self. I'm very pleased. Hopefully this will become a new standard available for sale in dive shops. I took it to my LDS and they checked it out, compared it to the stuff they sold and to the stuff hey were using with their fill station. They were impressed. We did note a 0.4ppm O2 difference between their high end unit on the bank and cootoo. The shop thought that was well within the acceptable range for error and wasn't concerned.

As for o2 calibration, I've been simply calibrating prior to any testing so the chamber is full of regular air. Seems to yield results on par with three other testers I've compared cootoo with, so I'd say this method works.

I was also a little dissapointed with the case, and will put it in a pelican or otterbox sooner or later. My Maxtec O2 tester came in an otterbox 3000. Still, given that I've got a functional portable dual gas tester for this price I am not upset at all.

Divenav now needs to get the word out, and products on shelves in diveshops. Best of luck to you guys!

I went out and got a replacement case. The Pelican 1120 fits almost perfectly the foam padding from the original cootwo case. The sides are a little tight, which works great because it really keeps things in place. The vertical dimension is probably 1/2" taller than necessary but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Here's how it came out:

DSC_5784.JPG DSC_5783.JPG

Divenav now needs to get the word out, and products on shelves in diveshops.
Thank you for the advise.

We have informed all the diveshops we know of (~700) that cootwo is now available.:)

So far only 3 have responded / purchased cootwo. :confused:

Please tell all your dive buddies about cootwo!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom