Opinions on CO sensor or detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ordered a toxirae because I think it will work and I don't have time to build one before our next trip. I do want to experiment with building a home remedy if I ever get some free time to do so. If nothing else I think it could be a fun experiment.

I ordered a toxirae because I think it will work and I don't have time to build one before our next trip. I do want to experiment with building a home remedy if I ever get some free time to do so. If nothing else I think it could be a fun experiment.
Suprane has one that works well for him. You can discuss how he uses it with him. Nice guy, very helpful, and if you can't trust an anesthesiologist talking about air, who can you trust? :eyebrow:

OKAAAAY, I finally got to town, for my new Analox portable analyzer, played with it some, talked with Patti on the phone twice I think to clarify some things - such a nice lady :wink: , and I've corrected some of my thinking I think.

I had thot one might use the 10 ppm bump gas to test their analyzer for accuracy, but nah! Maybe Surpan does with his 17 liter tank, but that's not the reason Analox offers it for sale. It's just to confirm that the analyzer is still working; the accuracy comes from proper calibrations.

SO YOU DON'T NEED BUMP GAS, IMO! If you want it, fine, Analox will supply it or you can order 10L or 17L tanks where Suprane got his, but it's really optional. Just blow on it, or if you want bigger results, get a smoker to blow on it - no he does not need to be smoking at the time as his exhale will stay tainted for a long time.
The breath concentration in a non-smoking individual in CO-free ambient air can be as high as 4 ppm. I know mine runs consistently at 2 ppm and my secretary who smokes runs at 9 to 10 ppm.

To use the EIICO for breath CO analysis take a deep breath and gently blow into the larger hole on the "side" of the sensor dome rather than the pin hole where one flows the compressed air into. It is quite interesting how stable one's breath CO concentration is as long as not sick (i.e. a cold) or walking around in a room full of smokers.

Our body produces and releases carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulfide, and nitric oxide all of which are gaseous neurotransmitters and can be measured in the breath.
And while calibration twice a year is nice, we're not pathologist getting ready for a trial. Once a year is probly fine, unless you ask Analox lawyers...
I think the sensor has a 6% annual drift so if you did not calibrate for a year, it might read 15 ppm as 14 or 16 - close enough to get excited.
14, 15, 16 - you don't want to dive it anyway. Since it rounds to nearest parts per million, and that is such a tiny amount numerically, you might see 4, 5, or 6 in another example. Ideally we don't want to dive that either, but - your call on accepted risks in diving.

I'm keeping my Pocket CO and Analox CO in Pelican cases so they can't be exposed to city air as I have seen some 10 ppm readings at airports and in cities myself. For that final pre-test calibration, yeah you want to be in clean ocean air or similar - maybe on the upper deck of a large boat if the wind is favorable, or whatever it takes.

Don,

If you dont mind, can you play with the Analox fresh air adjustment knob if you are reading city air with 10 PPM CO or can it read - minus ?

I want to know if one can zero a 10 PPM with that knob.

My QRAE 2 can read minus if fresh air calibration went wrong and it will trigger an alarm, but T3 I have never seem going minus sign.

many thanks

Don,

If you dont mind, can you play with the Analox fresh air adjustment knob if you are reading city air with 10 PPM CO or can it read - minus ?

I want to know if one can zero a 10 PPM with that knob.

My QRAE 2 can read minus if fresh air calibration went wrong and it will trigger an alarm, but T3 I have never seem going minus sign.

many thanks
Yeah, it adjusts from -12 to +12, but how do you know your city air is 10 ppm? You really need to dial 0 on an establish clean air source. The dial is nice btw, easy to avoid once you set it. :wink:

No, its not about the city air being 10PPM CO.
If Analox can be adjusted -12 to +12 = 24 PPM
Since the spec mentioned temperature can effect <2 PPM CO per Celcius , and assuming say 1.5 PPM per Celcius is the effect, 16C is approx value of adjustment.

To test it will be opening up that half ball plug, set at 0 PPM , note ambient temp and put Analox in refrigerator, not the freezer section just the 4 Celcius section. See what will happen when being cooled, less CO or more CO registered ? This can help you to note what effect temperature will bring and this way you can be a more alert user, while I get to learn some too:D

thanks Don.

No, its not about the city air being 10PPM CO.
If Analox can be adjusted -12 to +12 = 24 PPM
Since the spec mentioned temperature can effect <2 PPM CO per Celcius , and assuming say 1.5 PPM per Celcius is the effect, 16C is approx value of adjustment.

To test it will be opening up that half ball plug, set at 0 PPM , note ambient temp and put Analox in refrigerator, not the freezer section just the 4 Celcius section. See what will happen when being cooled, less CO or more CO registered ? This can help you to note what effect temperature will bring and this way you can be a more alert user, while I get to learn some too:D

thanks Don.
Oh, Ok - so I took the half ball out of the EII CO at 74F/23C, turned on, set to 0, and set it in my fridge for a few minutes, and it reads +1. Is that what you're looking for? With rounding in effect, I don't know that we found anything but it shuts off after 10 minutes.

You should get one of these. ScubaToys has them at $290 USD, free shipping in the US, and I know he ships all over the world altho I don't don't how much more he charges....
Carbon Monoxide Analyzer discounts on sale Amoxtec

wow.....good good good. Looks like it is temperature stable for colder temperature, hope on the hot side it will be stable in the tropics.

Thanks for testing Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom