Opinions and info needed on a couple regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any of the regulators will do just fine in the cold water that you're likely talking about, only time to get concerned is when air temps are below freezing, and/or water temp is below 40F. People often confuse the actual meaning of "cold".

I would still go with Apeks XTX50 in either DST or DS4 configuration, and that is dependent on your long term diving goals though if you go DS4 and decide on sidemount you can relegate that to stage bottle.

I wouldn't say easier/cheaper, definitely easier, highly unlikely cheaper. Make sure you cross check all of their prices with either Northeast Scuba Supply and/or Dive Right in Scuba before you buy. Not implying anything about your shop, but it isn't unheard of to pay quite a bit more up front at some local shops, so check it out first.

If saving money is a concern don't be afraid of buying used equipment, Apeks show up on ebay all the time and there isn't much you can do that would make them not serviceable. Generally half price or less, i.e. doubles sets of Apeks are regularly found for $600-$700 instead of $1500, or buy a full set of Hog or Dive Rites for $700 and be done with it and have regs just as high quality that you can service yourself down the road. There is no need to see doubles or sidemount as that far down the road if you are wanting to get into that type of diving do it now before you spend money twice, or at least make sure all of the gear fits your long term configurations, it's no more money up front, but lots of money saved later.

The reason Tbone is advising you to purchase two regulators is that you need two second stages anyway. If you are going tech you want decent second stages, so you would only have a surplus first stage. Also for the price of one of the regulators mentioned you could probably purchase a tech setup from an online dealer like DGX or Cave Adventurers and be ready from the beginning.

From what you mentioned I would pick either the Atomic Z-2 (not 3) or the Apeks. The Z-3 has the swivel hose which you would not use in tech diving. I personally prefer adjustable second stages which the Core does not have. I am not sure what you mean by cold but most regulators should be OK down to 45 degrees or so. The Atomic requires Christolube for sealing which will add an extra $40 or so to the bi-annual service. The turret on it does not rotate but your dive shop may have a Z-2X which does have a rotating turret.

Tammy, the Apeks series are certainly not "middle of the road" sure it is the base model of the adjustable XTX series, but the second stages are fantastic and they are the preferred regulators for many technical divers. They xTX50 only comes with sealed first stages, DST/DS4/Tek3. To the OP, look at your location, where you intend to dive, this is going to have a few major points of interest for deciding on the regulator you choose

The XTX50 does not even come close to the ease of breathing of my MK25/S600. I have used both teaching classes. The difference is night & day. I only said the XTX 50 is middle of the road. Not all Apeks regulators. For technical, I use the best of both worlds,... Apeks Tek3 & S600's on my doubles.

I really don't think that there is any difference in actual performance between any balanced 2nd stage.....be it Atomic, Zeagle, Apeks, Scubapro.
What will be noticed is the venturi boost.
Some like smooth and "natural", some like the boosted rush down the windpipe.
I have found that Scubapro's have a pronounced boost at max venturi.....I personally quite like that but I don't think they perform any better because of it.

The XTX50 does not even come close to the ease of breathing of my MK25/S600. I have used both teaching classes. The difference is night & day. I only said the XTX 50 is middle of the road. Not all Apeks regulators. For technical, I use the best of both worlds,... Apeks Tek3 & S600's on my doubles.

I can adjust the airflow in my XTX50 to deliver as much air as I want. I usually keep the rotating knob in the middle and if I keep it too open the thing starts to breath for me.

Are you sure it is not a tuning issue? I have the older TX-50s and MK20/G500 (same as a MK25/S600) and never noticed much of a difference between them. Who knows maybe my tuning is off. lol.

I really don't think that there is any difference in actual performance between any balanced 2nd stage.....be it Atomic, Zeagle, Apeks, Scubapro.
What will be noticed is the venturi boost.

I think it's difficult to talk about performance apart from the venturi assist. To me, 2nd stages are quite different in their feel, and that's part of evaluating their performance. The geometry of the 2nd stage and materials it's made out of have a big impact on how pleasant it is to dive with. Much of this, as you said, is subjective. To me it's very hard to beat the center-balanced valve/coaxial exhaust of the D series, and in a metal case (converted pilot) it's very smooth and natural. But, that's an opinion, not a fact.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2015 at 10:44 PM ----------

Well as stated in my bio, I'm new to diving. I'm also currently on the market for my first set of gear, and before you ask, yes I do know I can rent. This is more for informational purposes to set me up for a future purchase. A couple months from now when I'm certified, I'll need to get my own gear.

I suggest you wait until you are certified and have some experience diving before you buy any gear, except maybe a good-fitting wetsuit. Dive shops love to sell gear to new students; in fact that's the whole reason they teach the classes. It's almost ALWAYS in your best interest to get a little experience and try out gear before spending a lot of money.

It's hard to go wrong with any decent regulator; they all do the job well, and there's no reason to spend a lot unless you enjoy spending money. I'm cheap, and I never wished I had spent more money on dive gear. Less, definitely!

Any of the regs you listed is way better than you need as a recreational diver, and in terms of technical diving, don't fall for the dumb idea of buying extra gear now, before you're even certified in open water, with the idea that you will need it for doubles, or sidemount, or overhead diving.....jeesh. If and when you get to that point in the future, you'll have plenty of gear to buy. The regulators are the least of it.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Are you sure it is not a tuning issue? I have the older TX-50s and MK20/G500 (same as a MK25/S600) and never noticed much of a difference between them. Who knows maybe my tuning is off. lol.

I'm the repair tech. I tuned both of them to manufacturer's spec's.

Well you have all definitely given me a lot to think about. I do realize that if I get into more technical diving that I would need to change my setup. The thing is, I'm not 100% sure I DEFINITELY will get into side mount or doubles, just more of an anticipatory purchase. The lakes and quarries around here don't get above 50*F until mid-May. So in terms of cold water, I'm talking about sub-40 degrees. Again, this is more of an anticipatory purchase of possible future dives. If I really get serious I'll probably end up getting better regs anyway, I'm just trying to get a rundown on a few mid-range regs that would suit me for the time being and maybe leave me set up for the possibility of future advancement. If these regulators don't suit my possible future needs then so be it. My immediate concern is just getting one, just thought that I would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Best bang for the buck atx40 apeks, had to get mine detuned a bit....138 psi if i remember right. Hog is not a bad reg but at depth side to side i think that apeks takes the crown, nothing bad to say about my hog thou.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom