opinion on this hose, replace ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
Basically it almost appears as if this rubber wasn't crimped under the fitting. I have about 10 dives on this hose so I'm unsure why this happened so quickly. There is no damage to the braided hose under it and from what I can tell the rubber appears just to be there for abrasion resistance. Would this be a definate replace or something to keep an eye on and continue diving? This is feeding my alternate second stage.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 216
Now the ferrule has direct contact withe the important layers. I'd retire that hose in a heartbeat.

Are you feeling lucky?

Pete

very valid point, I dind't even think about that. I wonder if a miflex hose may be in order for this. This is my short hose so I don't really need the flexibility but 10 dives??? I'm assuming this isn't typical?

Thanks
Dave

No not typical but, it's still good just slap some duct tape on it.... "ONLY JOKING" throw it in the trash bin or email the manufacturer if it is that new,might get you a new hose?

I did just that. I got these hoses/regs on black friday and this was my first dive week w/ them.

Dave

I would just tape it up with some electrical tape and forget about it...As long as you will not use the reg in any place where you might really need it to deliver air. Seriously, if you do beach dives in 10 -20 feet and it will just be a minor inconvenience when it blows.. go for it.

For all other dives, won't you feel like a total dumbass if you kill yourself becaue you were too cheap to replace a $28 hose that you know is questionable?

In all honesty, if it is not leaking they can go like that for a while, but when they show obvious wear, I replace them.

It isn't worth the chance was just curious if this was just a protective outer casing that wasn't a structual part of the hose in some way.

Dave

It isn't worth the chance was just curious if this was just a protective outer casing that wasn't a structual part of the hose in some way.

Good choice.

Questions like this . . .

[h=2]opinion on this hose, replace ?[/h]
. . . are pretty much always answered by the asking.

It is a protective cover. Hence the spot you have uncovered is unprotected. The inner layer (weave) which appears in the picture is the strength member. My guess is the ferule did capture the rubber around the end, it is just split open from stress.

There is a pretty high stress riser at that point of the system. It would prob last for a long time just sitting with full pressure!
Just don't tug on it!!:wink:
See you topside! John

Back
Top Bottom