Opinion on Mouth Inflation option on Power Inflator

Which option most closely matches your opinion. Thank you.

• I have used the manual inflation during an inflator malfunction. It is very important to me.

Votes: 57 36.8%
  • I do not practice manual inflation and would seek my buddies help to surface first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel its necessary but most inflators I have used are awkward because of them.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I think its critical but I have never needed to use it.

Votes: 65 41.9%
  • I would use my drysuit first to inflate myself if the power inflator failed.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • This is a dumb post and I will not answer.

Votes: 23 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Please take a moment to give an opinion of the manual inflate option on a typical BC power inflation hose.

It's... umm... good?

Seriously, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking for an opinion on the value of having the option to orally inflate? Are you asking for a comparison between oral inflation valves on several different power inflators?

Assuming the former, I'm glad to have the option to orally inflate, and I practice doing so every few dives. I've had sand or gravel temporarily stick an inflator valve open once before, which can result in run-away inflation. The only option is to disconnect the LP hose and try to deal with the problem. In my case, oral inflation remained possible and was used to end the dive safely.

Edit - Actually, I should clarify that it was my buddy's valve that got stuck open (a rental unit). We were able to disconnect the hose, and she was able to orally inflate and end the dive safely.

Edit again - ...and for some reason this didn't appear as a poll to me the first time I viewed it. So... nevermind? :(

The closest choice to my opinion is the "it's a dumb post and I won't answer." That's not meant as a slam, but there is nothing that covers my choice.

I'm in the "I often practice it when diving and have no issues with it" category.

I am in the "I have tried it and practiced it could do it but never have had too" group. Sorry not one of your options.

The power inflator and oral inflator are equivalent to me. I use both without any thought about it. I reach down and either power inflate or blow, I never think about it, I just do it. What's the big deal?

When you scratch your nuts, do you use your left hand or right? Index finger, middle finger, multiple fingers, or do you not even think about it when you do it? :blinking:

If you're trying to ask if the skill of oral inflation is obsolete I would say no. Buttons stick often enough requiring you take the inflater off line to make oral inflation well within the realm of possibility. Counting on your buddy is a distant second in the list of options. The use of a drysuit is a back-up plan but it's far from universal.

Pete

I've had a slow leak into my wing on two occasions, and on both, I disconnected the power inflator hose and used the oral inflate to continue the dive. It was not a big deal. I was also given a right post failure when diving wet in my cave class, and had to get myself out quite a long ways on oral inflation (which is more critical in a cave, because the exits on caves can go up and down a lot). If the mouthpiece is aimed the same way as the inflate button, it's actually pretty easy.

I too had to disconnect the power inflator cable 2-3 times when I was diving rental gear because of leaks. I also practiced oral inflation as a means of conserving air (negligible benefit, if any). I still do it upon surfacing. It is useful to be able to do it without thinking too much about it.

Sorry non of them apply to me either.. the last option is closest bu too disrespectful

I use manual inflate exclusively pretty well all dives.. I find it is easier to fine tune my bouyancey, it is a good skill to practice and it seems a waste to vent "unused air" into the BCD for this. I use it to inflate on the surface unless the conditions are really awful and I feel like being lazy. I guess I consider the power inflate the backup method rather than the primary one. Never had a problem when I had to use manual inflate

This works for me but I am not suggesting it should be the same for everyone.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom