Opinion on Mouth Inflation option on Power Inflator

Which option most closely matches your opinion. Thank you.

• I have used the manual inflation during an inflator malfunction. It is very important to me.

Votes: 57 36.8%
  • I do not practice manual inflation and would seek my buddies help to surface first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel its necessary but most inflators I have used are awkward because of them.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I think its critical but I have never needed to use it.

Votes: 65 41.9%
  • I would use my drysuit first to inflate myself if the power inflator failed.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • This is a dumb post and I will not answer.

Votes: 23 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the "dumb post" answer because I think that manual inflation is critical, I use it preferentially all the time, but I have never had a failure that required it's use.

On a dive where my wing inflator was not working for whatever reason, I would probably compensate with my drysuit for the most part. However, if I weren't diving dry (didn't have redundant buoyancy), I wouldn't have an issue orally inflating.

On many dives I do, I orally inflate at the surface (it's something I practice regularly so that it will be second nature if I ever needed it in a real situation). I haven't, however, practiced orally inflating at depth since my OW class....maybe something I should try just to remind myself that it would be a non-issue if something were to happen.

Why waste gas when it's easy to use your exhalation to fill the wing? :) Sometimes for this reason, I'll use the manual inflation during a dive just to save some gas and to make sure I can do it flawlessly if I had to.

On a recent dive, I jumped in the water without putting a drysuit inflator hose on my reg. Stupid mistake, I got distracted by some other divers needing help. I noticed it 20 feet down. Simple fix: attach wing inflator to the drysuit, and inflate wing by mouth.

If you have trouble using your manual inflator, you need to change it, or practice more.

I too am curious what exactly are you trying to get at here. It seems you may be pursuing something related to the physical design of the valve. I've gotten used to the standard design valve on my wing, but I had quite a bit of trouble adjusting to it, and getting it arranged so that it was easy to use; I got a longer corrugated hose. I have not tried every different type of valve, but it looks like most of them are not significantly different, just cosmetically. I'd bet that this component would be a good candidate for a modern ergonomic design.

In my case, nobody seemed to understand the trouble I was having, they seemed to think that I could not reach it. The problem was not that I couldn't reach the valve, but that it was positioned in such a way that the buttons were not near my fingers; I had to kwonk my hand around into an uncomfortable angle to reach the buttons. The longer corrugated hose was all I needed; now it's easy to reach and the buttons are right where they should be.

None of your options apply ... I would have used the power inflate once on my last 50 dives, and that was when i was on the surface and was feeling extremely lazy.

99% of the time either underwater or on the surface i orally inflate.

I usually use the oral inflate, but I also like to conserve air so i can get longer dives.

My first "bc" was a snorkel vest. Oral inflation was all I had.

Attachments

• vest 001.JPG
    vest 001.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 40
People:

Just read the entire thread. We have the technology; no need to use the oral inflate to "save gas/air". Nothing of substance gained by that, but for the fact that the reg is removed from your mouth. OK exhaling into the inflator when you think you need it ( but finning until you are ready) may give you another 15 seconds of gas, but the distraction (task loading) and perhaps additional exursion is certainly not worth it.

Really, how often and how much gas do you add to your BC during a dive?

I consider it an emegency option for use below or on the surface. I use it occasionally for practice. Do I want to see it go away? No.
I had a grey shorty UDT vest oral infaltion only.

People:

Just read the entire thread. We have the technology; no need to use the oral inflate to "save gas/air". Nothing of substance gained by that, but for the fact that the reg is removed from your mouth. OK exhaling into the inflator when you think you need it ( but finning until you are ready) may give you another 15 seconds of gas, but the distraction (task loading) and perhaps additional exursion is certainly not worth it.

Really, how often and how much gas do you add to your BC during a dive?

Granted under normal use it is not going to "save" a lot of air, but in an emergency that small ammount could make all the difference.

As to task loading :shocked: ... wow its such a difficult thing to do

What gets me is divers using the power inflate to pump up their BC before a dive ... now that wastes a LOT of air!!!

Back
Top Bottom