Opinion on Mouth Inflation option on Power Inflator

Which option most closely matches your opinion. Thank you.

• I have used the manual inflation during an inflator malfunction. It is very important to me.

Votes: 57 36.8%
  • I do not practice manual inflation and would seek my buddies help to surface first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel its necessary but most inflators I have used are awkward because of them.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I think its critical but I have never needed to use it.

Votes: 65 41.9%
  • I would use my drysuit first to inflate myself if the power inflator failed.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • This is a dumb post and I will not answer.

Votes: 23 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get the purpose of this thread either -- BUT, I've had the "privilege" of diving with two students recently who had the "new-fangled level inflator" BC which has a totally seperate (as far as I could tell) oral inflator hose. I must say I don't get this new system as I don't really know what problem the manufacturer thinks it solved, but at least they do provide a method for oral inflation.

And, from looking at it (but not using it), I'd say that particular oral inflator is a lot easier for the "average beginning OW student" (which, I admit, ain't saying much) to use, especially here in cold water. But, honestly, not having used it, it could be a whole lot worse than the standard oral inflator option.

Again, OP, can you please explain WHY you asked the questions?

I would like to wait a little longer before disclosing the reasoning for the post to gain more valuable opinions - thank you once again.

Granted under normal use it is not going to "save" a lot of air, but in an emergency that small ammount could make all the difference.

As to task loading :shocked: ... wow its such a difficult thing to do

"In common language, a task is part of a set of actions which accomplish a job"

Yes task loading.
A wing can be inflated (job) using the power inflator with one hand (task). To do it orally requires removal of the reglator (task) with the other hand. Try it while carrying a speargun or the like. I suppose you could clip the speargun off to a D-ring, or hold it under your arms or even between your legs. One or more "tasks".

The ability to orally inflate is certainly an important skill in the event of power inflator failure, but to use it as a matter of course during the dive is not worth it. Paricularly if hunting or doing photo.

I do inflate my wing orally at the surface then press the power inflator to test the OPV.

Tim, your signature is awesome!

Clipped from a piece penned by Dan Volker for South Florida Dive Journal.
An article centered around my OW instructor, Frank Hammet.

What gets me is divers using the power inflate to pump up their BC before a dive ... now that wastes a LOT of air!!!

Sorry to call you on this but REALLY? A LOT of air?

Two or three full breaths (which is what it takes me to orally inflate) at 1ATM is NOT a lot of gas as a percentage of available gas in your tank and definitely a misleading thing to say. I have ZERO problems with power inflating my BC prior to jumping in.

If somehow I've missed your point or completely lost my grasp of basic physical laws, please correct me :)

J

BUT, I've had the "privilege" of diving with two students recently who had the "new-fangled level inflator" BC which has a totally seperate (as far as I could tell) oral inflator hose. I must say I don't get this new system as I don't really know what problem the manufacturer thinks it solved, but at least they do provide a method for oral inflation.

Well the "lever" is the only "new-fangled" part of that system. I have a couple Dacor HUB's which also control buoyancy with a left side BC mounted controller (two buttons). When you "hit deflate" the system opens all the BC valves. On the lever models you can "hit deflate" and since all vents open the one where the air bubble is vents; it deflates in pretty much any body position / orientation with no tai chi involved.

My boss uses the SeaQuest Pro QD i3 and I've seen it in action; it works as advertised. Only downside is more working parts AFAICT. Here is the i3 product page.

Two or three full breaths (which is what it takes me to orally inflate) at 1ATM is NOT a lot of gas as a percentage of available gas in your tank and definitely a misleading thing to say. I have ZERO problems with power inflating my BC prior to jumping in.

I have paid attention to my gear with regards to this issue; with my analog gauge reading ~250 psi, fully inflating my Large SeaQuest vest BC takes just less than 100 psi (80 cft).

I always orally inflate before the dive, unless it is a negative entry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom