Opinion on Mouth Inflation option on Power Inflator

Which option most closely matches your opinion. Thank you.

• I have used the manual inflation during an inflator malfunction. It is very important to me.

Votes: 57 36.8%
  • I do not practice manual inflation and would seek my buddies help to surface first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel its necessary but most inflators I have used are awkward because of them.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I think its critical but I have never needed to use it.

Votes: 65 41.9%
  • I would use my drysuit first to inflate myself if the power inflator failed.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • This is a dumb post and I will not answer.

Votes: 23 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The closest choice to my opinion is the "it's a dumb post and I won't answer." That's not meant as a slam, but there is nothing that covers my choice.

I'm in the "I often practice it when diving and have no issues with it" category.

Same here - when you are diving a Superwing with steel doubles, it takes a lot of backgas to inflate it. Why waste it when you can orally inflate?

I had my first real gear failure underwater last night. My wing inflator was free flowing. As soon as it started, I started dumping at pretty much the same rate so I could disconnect the hose (it was stuck on there pretty good and I ended up having my buddy help me out with it....but it came off with no major issues).

Anyways, I was planning to compensate with my drysuit....but I was getting annoyed with having too much air in my feet, so I dumped some and inflated orally. It's really the first time I've done it underwater since my OW class. I had no issues doing it. So while I think it's a nice skill to have, I don't think it's one that needs practicing.

Those are my revised (after having the experience dealing with the issue) thoughts on it.

I had to disconnect the pressure hose when my inflator button stuck while beach diving. Finished the rest of the dives that day using oral inflation. Popped the covers off that evening and flushed out the sand I had picked up setting up for the dives. No problem.

Last edited:
Knowing how to manually inflate is critical. On ~100 ft dive recently the low pressure inflator valve on my BC got stuck open a little bit. All I had to do was take the hose off of the BC and then manually inflate if I needed more buoyancy. This thread shows I’m not the only one to have this problem in an open water environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom