Opinion needed..which regulator set to keep..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there actually dive shops that can't or won't service an MK2 / R195? I would think that any decent dive shop would have the parts on hand to service these simple regulators.

I keep hearing about this "Streamlining" crap.. You guys are worried about a hose being 3" to long or not coming off the first stage at the best possible angle... And then strap two hp100 tanks to your rig and a pony bottle with a HP120 for back gas... Lights , reels and all the other stuff... :confused::rofl3: I think you need to relook at this "streamline" statement....

Jim....

The biggest part of "streamlining" to me is the hose routing. Not for reduced drag but for reduced stress on the hoses. Many first-stage designs practically force you into kinking your hoses to route them properly. Mock all you want, but every hose I've ever seen blow (many, many hoses) have been severely kinked hoses....several of which I warned people about.

The biggest part of "streamlining" to me is the hose routing. Not for reduced drag but for reduced stress on the hoses. Many first-stage designs practically force you into kinking your hoses to route them properly. Mock all you want, but every hose I've ever seen blow (many, many hoses) have been severely kinked hoses....several of which I warned people about.

Then you're routing the hoses wrong.. The layout is simple and straight forward... I don't see why one would need to kink a hose .. My hoses lay nice and run without any binding or kinks...

Jim...

Then you're routing the hoses wrong.. The layout is simple and straight forward... I don't see why one would need to kink a hose .. My hoses lay nice and run without any binding or kinks...

Jim...

No, I'm not....I don't dive backmount anymore :wink:. However, with some first stages you get very little choice.

Hoses are not kinked on my MkII or my Conshelf or my Titan Supreme. I do not see any reason to need to kink hoses. The routing is close to perfect. I do not think the OP is talking doubles or sillymount. N

Hoses are not kinked on my MkII or my Conshelf or my Titan Supreme. I do not see any reason to need to kink hoses. The routing is close to perfect. I do not think the OP is talking doubles or sillymount. N

I was pretty sure OP was talking about single-tank backmount. My only point was that with single-tank backmount there are plenty of regs that force hose routing that is goofy and/or lead to kinked hoses. I've seen it plenty of times. I'm not saying those regs can't be routed cleanly and I'm not saying those regs are the ones I've seen. I'm just saying that proper hose routing is for a lot more than the increase in drag coefficient.

what Victor said, it's all about the hoses coming out of the regulator in the general direction that they are supposed to go.

With a MK2 you have the inflator coming up then down, the octo goes down, the primary goes up then down. It works alright with the idiotic PADI golden triangle routing with the tank halfway down your back, but it is abysmal when you have the tank up to where you can reach the valve *the primary and inflator hoses come above your head*, and it just looks terrible.

I'd still keep it in this scenario over the Atomic due to specific circumstances, but that doesn't mean it's just not a good design for single tank backmount. Fabulous design for stages/decompression bottles, better than the turret design by far in my opinion, but there is a reason all of the "premium" regulators are either turrets, or of the Apeks DS4 style, the hose routing is truly better

We can agree to disagree as you guys are getting to an area that is outside the ops question. Thousands of divers succesfully use the MkII and other non turret types and do not kink hoses and can sufficiently reach their valve which is another argument beyond the ops question. N

Thanks all for the insights and comments, so I was told by some LDS that the MK2 need to be in use constantly to be bulletproof, if not the piston may fail to work (if dive only twice a year). For the Atomic B2, the problem may not happen when it is left unused. I am not too sure if the claims are true or they are just pushing the sale of the more expensive B2. Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

The LDS is an idiot. Both rigs you have are fine units. My primary reason, my opinion based on experiance with the SP, to keep the SP is service anywhere on the planet and it's known ability to go forever nearly with little maintenance but a rinse and it is lightweight for travel.

The orher fellows gave their valid opinions also on hose routing, qualty, maintenence etc. and ultimately you have to make a choice. Do you really need to sell either?

N

Back
Top Bottom