Opinion, Fact, I need help choosing a computer - Cressi, Suunto, Other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8Trackid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know everyone asks but the more I read the crazier I get!! My Mares M1 flooded and died after 10 years. I am an experienced diver but now a days don't get wet much. My wife is getting into diving so hopefully that changes. Anyways. I am looking for a good value for $ computer. My initial choices looked like Mares Puck, Cressi Leonardo and Suunto Zoop. Then I was comparing between Cressi Giotto and perhaps Suunto Viper. ~ Many claim love for Zoop but is the Giotto better? Yes, I want nitrox... Not sure I will be diving it again soon but just incase. ~ I also have intention to get my Tech and Cave certs but I will cross that bridge when I get there!! I need a reliable, affordable computer, $200- $300 range I guess. (I am pretty broke and about to go to Cozumel in a month and first need a new computer, second stage and pressure gauge ~ all of which crapped out in the last 3 dives!)

PLEASE HELP ME!!

One of my two computers is a Zoop. It does everything I want. Can handle Nitrox. Gets me out of minor deco on the rare occassion when that becomes necessary.*

*Yes that does happen. One example, a somwhat aggressive guide on the second Speigel dive. I realized that I was getting low on NDL during a swim through which I had to complete. Then the choice was to do an open water ascent into ripping current or go to the buoy line and incur some minor deco. The choice was obvious to me.

You can (or could a month ago) get a vyper (non AI) from Leisure Pro for $300. I got the AI version for $450 and the display is greatly improved over my old Vytec. Much more readable then the Vytec. I wanted the Vyper to back up the Vytec's AI function and it does that perfectly. But given your situation, what do you see the Vyper offering you over what the zoop will?

The vyper certainly can be run in gauge mode, but I think you can pretty much do that with the Zoop by just turning off all the alarms and ignoring everything it tells you but depth and time.

I know nothing about the Giotto.

I have/had a few Suunto computers (Zoop, Vyper, Vyper Air, Cobra 3, Helo2). I like the interface and the way they work, but the Cobra 3 and the Vyper did give out after around 50 hours each. The depth sensors in both go for the record once they get turned on.

The Zoop is nice, the only feature I wish that it had is a gauge function (all the others above do).

You can probably find a used Vyper on eBay for about the same price as a used Zoop. They are practically the same, just the Vyper has the gauge function. I am of course speaking about the silver Vyper, not the blue or black Vyper Air that works with the wireless transmitter. That would definitely be within your $200-300 range, maybe a little less.

for tech you will probably need a dc that you can put into gauge mode and use as bottom timer, AFAIK there are no multi gas (trimix) capable dcs in your price range.

I have a Cressi Leonardo as does my wife, We've had no issues with them over the last 18 months and 150 dive per computer with the exception of replacing the screen protector and the battery - Both are user items, the battery comes complete with new cover and O Ring. My only complaint is that the backlight is rubbish for Night dives or Low VisAs to the Zoop I was on a Liveaboard recently and they were the computer passed out as part of the gear set for others - I'm guessing as a rental comp they get plenty of abuse, are simple to read and use and therefore are robust. The Zoop doesn't have a backlight - you shine your torch at it and it glows - seems to work well

For me, the leonardo is too conservative. If you want details go to the post: cressi leonardo too conservative.

The zoop is a great choice for a budget dive computer and is very reliable and can endure being banged around a bit as well. The zoop is a bit more conservative than a few other mfgs if that is a big concern to you. The only thing I did not like at first is the Zoop can get a bit frustrating the first few times you start to navigate the menus; once you get familiar with that it is a great all around DC.

As for a DC for tech as mentioned you will not find a new DC in your price range, you mentioned you are on a budget right now so it sounds like Tech will still be a ways off so focus on what you need now like a good set of regs and dive computer to get you back in the water.

Becareful when buying a used DC you may not know until you are on a dive that there is a problem with the sensor and then the seller may say tough luck yes I know PayPal offers protection but this can cause time and possibly money lost. I have bought a few second hand DCs but only in person from someone that was living near me or that was well known by others so just tread carefully.

I have 100% ruled out the Puck and Leonardo... It is now between Zoop, Giotto and the Vyper. It seems that everyone is happy with theirs but the issue of not back lit and gauge mode slightly bothers me. However, after hearing the backlit function on the Leonardo is so bad, it's hard to imagine the Giotto being much better. - Then there is the Vyper gave out after 50 dives comment.

Man! I am still confused but I guess leaning towards the Vyper or Giotto.

Wish I was made of money and could buy both and just give one to my wife since she does not have one yet!

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 02:10 PM ----------

Well... I have decided to go with the Cressi Giotto simply as it was the difference between my complete order being under $400.

Last edited:
Pick a dive computer for me gets posted every week on SB. I would choose the decompression algorithm or algorithms (Oceanic dual algorithm) and then pick a computer in their product line that meets my diving and financial requirements. Personally, I would not be able to tolerate the Suunto or other very conservative algorithms after diving DSAT for 14 years. Good luck, $2-300 is not much for a new computer

Back
Top Bottom