Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw the trailer last night also before the interesting Michael Moore Bush documentary.
I immediately thought of how many of you are going to analyze the gear configurations and actions of the divers...lolol I am curious how they are going to make this interesting...and their better not be no bogus 'I'll never let go Jack...I'll never let go..scene. I bet they consulted with PADI on this movie.

pbr:
Scuba_Jenny:
Its based on a true story...I am thinking the one of the couple in Australia, but this movie is based out of the Bahamas.

The Bahamas - YIKES!! I'm going to the Bahamas in a month on a live aboard!

Yes the Bahamas and it's just not safe for you to go! So send me all your tickets and junk and I'll go in your place and I'll make sure no one gets left behind. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: Now, I'm only doing this out of the goodness of my heart, and everyone else out there who isn't comfortable going on a dive charter, please send me all the info and I'll take your place also. Man, the sacrifices I make for others. :wink:

I saw the preview with my wife . All I know I won't take my wife to see that movie(she's a non-diver). That's all I need for her to worry even more when I go Diving.I'll wate till it comes out on video and see it alone.

I saw 911 last night also and saw the trailer. All of the guys I went with started asking if it was based on a true story or just made up. It looks O.K
I feel bad that Hockeynut is willing to do all that for you people so out of the kindness of my heart I am willing to share the responsibillity and go for you. I am going to make this so easy for you. Just send me the money that you would have spent and "trust me" I will go see the movie for you and save you the anguish and torment that all the non-divers are going togive you.

GeekDiver:
It looks a bit hookie to me but what do I know. When I watched the trailer I keep wondering where the safety Sauage and whistle was then I thought about how being whiney

See!!!!! If he had only trusted Nuestra Senora de Salchichones!!!

Funny how that "based on a true story" stuff goes, isn't it?

From other films I've seen (and I'm a bit of a movie buff), based on a true story could simply mean that a husband and wife went diving together!

The Great Barrier Reef case, the Red Sea case and the Key Largo (AquaNuts Divers - Underdcurrent 4/01) Case are all evidence that divers can and do get left behind at times. I guess it makes you want to ask your boat captain about accountability procedures before you sign on for a trip. That and make sure you have that whistle and sausage in your BC.

As for impact on the industry, who knows? It's hard to predict that sort of thing, but I agree that it'll probably keep a few people from diving who probably shouldn't be diving anyway.

I'm planning on seeing the flick when it comes out, because I like a good story (We'll see what kind of story teller the director is by watching the film - what a concept!), and I like Indie films. That being said, I don't think I'll take the kids right away, as those shark phobias get implanted pretty deep at a young age.

Anyway, for your reading pleasure, I've cited two articles from Undercurrent. If you haven't read their newsletter or seen the web site, I recommend it. It's a good resource for insider info when you can't get to ScubaBoard.

Left on the Outer Edge (courtesy of Undercurrent.org 10/98)

Police investigating the January disappearance of a
Louisiana couple while they were diving on the Great
Barrier Reef have concluded they died after the charter
boat Outer Edge left them at sea. (See the complete story
in the March Undercurrent.)
Many people in the Aussie diving industry claimed
that Thomas (33) and Eileen Lonergan (28) had faked
their deaths or even committed suicide. One dive
operator claimed that he returned the same day with
three extra divers aboard his boat. A television crew and
a hotel worker claimed to have seen the Lonergans
months after they disappeared.
But police said they discovered no evidence that
the Lonergans invented their deaths and speculated
much of it was a campaign to keep the dive industry in
a good light.
The Lonergans were among the twenty-six divers
and five crew aboard the charter boat Outer Edge. After
the final dive of the day, the boat departed without
them for the forty-plus mile trip back to the mainland.
They did not miss them until two days later, when the
boat crew found some of their gear aboard.
Weeks after their disappearance, a fin with “Eileen
L” printed on the bottom, her BC and wetsuit hood,
and one of their tanks were found washed up on
remote beaches. In July, fishermen found a slate with
the plea “Please help us. Find us soon before we die.”
Both signed the message.
True to form, however, the industry organization Dive
Queensland alleged the Lonergans had planted the slate
as part of a fake disappearance. However, police tests and
marine growth showed that the slate was in the water for
several months and it was not a hoax.
During the inquest that took place in Cairns last
month, it was unclear whether a head count had been
taken. A dive instructor who initially told police he did
not take a head count changed his story three days
later. Another said that the head counts were a “very
weak link” in the security chain. “The tourists are
constantly moving around you. They’re on holidays,
they’re chatting and drinking, wandering around.”
It was learned that the crew had ignored two pairs
of shoes left on the dock (the Lonergans) after all the
other passengers had taken theirs (divers remove shoes
before boarding and pick them up afterwards). A bus
driver who was to pick up the Lonergans reported she
had told the Outer Edge captain and owner Jack Nairn
that she couldn’t find them. The day after their
disappearance, a diver aboard the Outer Edge returning
to the same reef found six dive weights at the bottom of
the sea and took them to Nairn, who said it was a bonus
to find extra weights and said “you might find a tank or
something out there as well.”
The most plausible explanation for their disappearance
came from Ben Cropp, one of Australia’s leading
shark experts and divers. Cropp, who has made more
than 10,000 dives in forty-eight years, told the inquest:
“My personal feeling is they were taken by a tiger
(shark) in the first 24 to 48 hours. A tiger given a day
or two...would be a very serious threat. You’d appear
helpless to them. They just circle and watch. They may
do this for an hour before moving closer and may
follow you for another hour before they take that first
bite, and then you don’t have a hope because they’ve
made up their mind. Then the shark would concentrate
on the second person, following them for an hour
or perhaps all night. They’re a pretty horrible feeding
machine when they make up their mind.”
Cropp said that if a shark did not kill the
Lonergans, then “dehydration and despair” would have
killed them. Officials said they expect manslaughter
charges to be filed.
On another note, in late July the Outer Edge picked
up three divers whose craft had overturned and was
half submerged in rough weather.

Left at Sea (Courtesy of Undercurrent.org 9/00)
Two British divers in the Red Sea were left behind when a dive boat from Emperor Divers headed to port without them. They swam to a reef, hailed boats, and eventually got spotted.
Why were they abandoned? Two divers on the boat were named Paul. When a guide asked if “Paul” was back, someone replied “yes,” and they headed home. The other Paul was left at sea. Another strike against informal head counts.
Another reason divers get left at sea is that the boat topside is empty. In July, two Florida divers set their anchor on a submerged boat off Jacksonville and went merrily on their way. But, the swells yanked the boat loose and “the anchor went flying up like a skyrocket,” said Ralph Bledsoe, 50. His buddy, Paul Bryant, 42, grabbed the anchor but it pulled him up so fast his mask blew off his face. He let go. By the time they surfaced, their boat was drifting away. They lashed themselves
together, and for the next 30 hours they talked and tried to sleep. Bryant said his greatest fear was hitting the Gulf Stream.
As they drifted the next day, they tried to flag down a commercial fishing boat, but were not spotted. Eventually, the Coast Guard rescued them, after being alerted by Bryant’s wife. They were treated for sunburn and dehydration.

andrep1:
Hi,

I'm guessing this movie will at least stir up some stuff in the diving community, if not in the general public.

I could not get the trailer to work, so here is another link:

Link to trailer

Andre
:sharks:

Looks as if it's already stirred uyp some of us. I plan on seeing it.

I just heard about a new movie coming out called Open Water. It's about a couple who are left behind by their dive boat in the bahamas. It is supposedly based on a true story.The trailor looks absolutely terrifying.

The movie is coming out on August 6.

I fear the effect that this movie could have on my family members who are already think SCUBA diving is some sort of dare-devil sport.

On the other hand, this movie could be a good reminder that there are many risks involved in SCUBA diving and that extreme caution should always be taken.

What do you think?

Check out the trailor at Open Water - The Movie

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not for this, so I apologize if there is a more appropriate spot for it.

I went to see I, Robot today and one of the trailers was for a new movie called Open Water. The gist of it is that two divers, out in the middle of the ocean, surface to find that their party boat has left them behind. I don't know much more about the plot than that, but I can tell you, it freaked my wife and I out because that almost happened to us just after we were certified.

Here's one of those "I learned from that dive" things. We were out on a party boat with a bunch of other divers. When we got to the first wreck, we jumped in the water and descended down the drop line. As soon as we got to the bottom, my wife gave me the out of air sign (something went wrong with her regulator). I gave her my octopus and we ascended the line and got back on the boat. As we got on, one of the crew members asked us our names. We told them, switched her reg and went back into the water. About 20 minutes into our dive it hits the two of us at the same time that "Hey, they think we're back on the boat. No one knows we're in the water"! We freak out and ascend as quickly and controlled as we can. When we get to the surface, we find one of the crew members looking rather surprised to see us. Apparently, they were just getting ready to pull the anchor and move off to the next wreck. We tucked our tails neatly between our legs and climbed back on the boat.

Needless to say, we both felt exceedingly stupid and never did anything like that again. Seeing the trailer today though, was a tad disturbing.

John S.

Back
Top Bottom