Open, Semi or Closed-Circuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure. I’ve gone diving solo many a times on OC/CCR etc. There are instances where working/diving places you in solo situations. There have also been times where buddies & diving OC have been liabilities. Personally, I like a dive where I can make decisions for myself. In fact, the most scariest dives have always included other people in the scenario.

Having worked with rocket scientists, I won't get too deep, or intellectual regarding the realities of your statements. They are simply without the merit of real world experience. What I suggest you do is post your recommendations on the contentious RB world. I'll hazard to guess that you'd be asked to sit in a corner with the appropriate headwear. Solo, of course.

X

Well, then, it is certainly good to hear from you, because, well, I am guessing, you won't be "with us" for very long.

Mr.X:
Sure. I’ve gone diving solo many a times on OC/CCR etc. There are instances where working/diving places you in solo situations. There have also been times where buddies & diving OC have been liabilities. Personally, I like a dive where I can make decisions for myself. In fact, the most scariest dives have always included other people in the scenario.

Having worked with rocket scientists, I won't get too deep, or intellectual regarding the realities of your statements. They are simply without the merit of real world experience. What I suggest you do is post your recommendations on the contentious RB world. I'll hazard to guess that you'd be asked to sit in a corner with the appropriate headwear. Solo, of course.

X
Well, then, it is certainly good to hear from you, because, well, I am guessing, you won't be "with us" for very long.

Which part of his post do you have a problem with?

Do I tell you how to dive OC? RB diving is how I sometimes earn my money. Honestly, do I come around to your job and knock the nereids out of your mouth?

X

Do I tell you how to dive OC? RB diving is how I sometimes earn my money. Honestly, do I come around to your job and knock the nereids out of your mouth?

X
:argument:

:popcorn::popcorn:

1) PADI/DSAT doesn't have any rebreather training at all. Nor any cave training, although they do have a cavern course. How and why are you interested in them??

2) with less than 50 dives the OP should really just go diving for awhile before talking about RBs and technical training.
RJACK321,
Thanks for the post! Appreciate your questions.

1. I wasn't necessarily interested in rebreather or cavern training specifically. I was doing research on which path I should pursue because of the cost of each. I just wanted to make sure my money was going into a type of diving I would be doing for at least a year or two. It would be quite unfortunate to go buy an open-circuit setup only do buy a closed-circuit in 6 months.

2. Appreciate your input. It isn't that I want to go do some crazy 300' dives. I'm just trying to learn more and become a better diver. Within a year or two I do want be a proficient cave and technical diver. My plan is to do that in a phased approach. The first phase is this summer with the DSAT Tec Level 1 course.

RJACK321,
Thanks for the post! Appreciate your questions.

1. I wasn't necessarily interested in rebreather or cavern training specifically. I was doing research on which path I should pursue because of the cost of each. I just wanted to make sure my money was going into a type of diving I would be doing for at least a year or two. It would be quite unfortunate to go buy an open-circuit setup only do buy a closed-circuit in 6 months.

2. Appreciate your input. It isn't that I want to go do some crazy 300' dives. I'm just trying to learn more and become a better diver. Within a year or two I do want be a proficient cave and technical diver. My plan is to do that in a phased approach. The first phase is this summer with the DSAT Tec Level 1 course.

Mike Edmonston,
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, as far as advanced Nitrox, stage and Deco procedures... I thought that's what the DSAT Tec Diver Level 1 was all about? My understanding was it would expose me to the procedures, gear, and dive physics or theory needed and could also contribute to later DSAT courses if interested. If that isn't the case, then what organization/course would you recommend?

jeandiver,
Thanks for the post. The cost factor was actually the whole reason why I posted this in the first place. I don't mind spending money on something, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting it. It just seems like whatever decision I make right now, I'll probably be "stuck" with it for at least a year or two.

My personal opinion right now (for me) is CCR is where it's at, but I as a fairly new diver (Rescue with <50 dives) am better off staying OC until (1) I better understand dive physics and procedures and (2) CCR technology, training and support gets a bit more mature as a finished product and (3) the price gets a bit more reasonable. Not saying it isn't already a good mature product for most, just that I'm an ultra-conservative consumer.

This string has certainly been quite informative though. No amount of research could have provided all this information and covered all the spectrums, so I certainly appreciate everyone's time.

sparticlebrane,
I was just asking a question so I knew where I wanted to go as a diver so I could make informed decisions with my gear and training from here on. Not really sure you can judge a diver entirely on their dive number. That would be like assuming that a diver with 500 dives must be proficient. Is every diver you've met with >500 dives a good diver?

Honestly I would skip the DSAT course. Find yourself some good buddies that are interested in the same kinds of dives you are. Dive together, take whatevere next courses you choose together. Research rebreathers together. When you are all ready to take the next step (whether that's OC or CCR) hook up with a good instructor together. Gear comes and goes. Build some good diving relationships and the right gear for the job will follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom