Open, Semi or Closed-Circuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ctonrugby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm getting ready to get into some DSAT courses and was doing some gear research as I look to start doing tech diving. I'm not sure if I'm missing the bus or something, but is there some reason why I shouldn't just buy a SCR or CCR instead of doubles, deco tanks etc? I think eventually I'd end up on a rebreather anyway, so why not just skip all the tank purchases and get a good system? Appreciate any insight, opinions and thoughts. Thanks, Wes

I'm getting ready to get into some DSAT courses and was doing some gear research as I look to start doing tech diving. I'm not sure if I'm missing the bus or something, but is there some reason why I shouldn't just buy a SCR or CCR instead of doubles, deco tanks etc? I think eventually I'd end up on a rebreather anyway, so why not just skip all the tank purchases and get a good system? Appreciate any insight, opinions and thoughts. Thanks, Wes
You can end up at rebreathers via a multitude of ways. The fastest way is to get the minimum prereqs for the firts RB course. The longer way is to buy stuff and then onto RB. There is no right or wrong way. You decide.

even with SCR/CCR, you still need the same number of stage/bailout bottles, so they are not throw away purchases if you start out OC and switch to SCR/CCR later.

If you are seriously interested in CCRs, then start as early as you can, before you buy the doubles.

Doubles are doubles, and CCRs are CCRs, and as east is east, and west is west, they are completely different.

Megalodons are probably the best CCRs.

Megalodon Rebreather

Which is to say, the very best techdivers that I know use them.

Doubles are a waste of time, and a waste of space, and a waste of money, if you intend to go down the CCR road.

By ultimate intent is to go as far, as often and do as much as I possibly can which so far, from what I understand, means some sort of rebreather is going to be needed. Any other input on SCR vs CCR? I am assuming CCR is the way to go; can't really find a reason why I would chose SCR over CCR so far (but I'm completely ignorant to this subject right now). Thanks for the information!

read up! rebreatherworld (http://www.rebreatherworld.com/)is a wonderful resource, along with JWB's rebreather site (Basis). Most main stream SCR systems are set up for Nitrox only, there are a select few that do mix and helox from the get go, but most "could" do it with work. CCR on the other hand allows you to go just about anywhere assuming you have the experience, skill, gas and sorb time.
KM

By ultimate intent is to go as far, as often and do as much as I possibly can which so far, from what I understand, means some sort of rebreather is going to be needed. Any other input on SCR vs CCR? I am assuming CCR is the way to go; can't really find a reason why I would chose SCR over CCR so far (but I'm completely ignorant to this subject right now). Thanks for the information!

The main thing that you are going to need with a CCR is a really good CCR-buddy, who watches you, and you he/she, every second. Because at any second, anthing can go wrong with these units.

Therefore if you are a solo diver, then CCRs are completely out of the question. This is how people die, by diving solo with a CCR.

SCRs make no sense at all because you have all the same liabilities as with a CCR and none of the CCR benefits. But if you go the SCR road, then similarly make sure you have a really good SCR-buddy.

The main thing that you are going to need with a CCR is a really good CCR-buddy, who watches you, and you he/she, every second. Because at any second, anthing can go wrong with these units.

Therefore if you are a solo diver, then CCRs are completely out of the question. This is how people die, by diving solo with a CCR.

SCRs make no sense at all because you have all the same liabilities as with a CCR and none of the CCR benefits. But if you go the SCR road, then similarly make sure you have a really good SCR-buddy.

Come on, that is a load of BS. Do you have any statistics to back that claim?
I know plenty of solo CCR divers, myself included.

SCRs make no sense at all because you have all the same liabilities as with a CCR and none of the CCR benefits.

Really? I guess that 12:1 - 18:1 gas extension is just whistlin dixie! :)

[should be 8:1 - 10:1]

What you lose is ppo2 control. What you gain is simplicity. Frankly, I like the SCR option even though I took some basic training on a Meg. Don't get me wrong, I like the Meg a lot. But SCR has some benefits for some divers depending on the situation.

You can't say that any one CCR is better than the other, just like you can't say that CCR is better than SCR. It depends upon the diver, and the situation. SCR units tend to be more simple to operate, and much less expensive.

SCR's can be modified to do deco and trimix and etc., etc., etc. They aren't designed to do that from the get go, but they can do it. Most SCR (Drager) are constant flow rebreathers, so gas wont last as long as on a CCR. SCR also releases small amount bubbles.

Most people use SCR for rec diving. There are people who get trained on CCR and just do rec diving. There are people who use SCR for tec diving, but that number is less.

I don't know that much. Go read rebreatherworld.com, and you'll learn all that you'll ever need to know.

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom