Open, Semi or Closed-Circuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston,
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, as far as advanced Nitrox, stage and Deco procedures... I thought that's what the DSAT Tec Diver Level 1 was all about? My understanding was it would expose me to the procedures, gear, and dive physics or theory needed and could also contribute to later DSAT courses if interested. If that isn't the case, then what organization/course would you recommend?

To be honest with you, the certifying agency really doesn't matter. Find a good and reputable instructor and ask him some questions / tell him your intentions. You can get really good training from TDI, NAUI, IANTD, ANDI, GUE etc... I did not mention PADI, as I am unfamiliar with their program.

Good luck, and if you need more info PM me.

Cheers :D

jeandiver,
Thanks for the post. The cost factor was actually the whole reason why I posted this in the first place. I don't mind spending money on something, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting it. It just seems like whatever decision I make right now, I'll probably be "stuck" with it for at least a year or two.

My personal opinion right now (for me) is CCR is where it's at, but I as a fairly new diver (Rescue with <50 dives) am better off staying OC until (1) I better understand dive physics and procedures and (2) CCR technology, training and support gets a bit more mature as a finished product and (3) the price gets a bit more reasonable. Not saying it isn't already a good mature product for most, just that I'm an ultra-conservative consumer.

This string has certainly been quite informative though. No amount of research could have provided all this information and covered all the spectrums, so I certainly appreciate everyone's time.

You are most welcome :D
I have been doing all of my caving on OC. For me , the issue is still cost. And of course , 99% of my buddies dive OC also , so ... :D
Well , you get the point.
Understand your point on ultra-conservatism. I tend to be VERY PRUDENT myself. And since I don't make any HUGE PUSH dives at this time , Open Circuit fits my diving just fine !!! :D

Take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jean
Fort White , Florida

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom