Online scuba stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st time actually on SB. Hope ya-all don't mind if I jump into this can of worms? I have some burning ?s regarding the same line of this thread.

Let me distill some of these issues down for ya, if I may:

1. Do you have good LDS? If yes, then support them, if no then buy on line.

2. If you buy online and save a bunch of money and the things were to go ****-up, who's going to lend you the gears to keep on diving while warranty is being resolved? Are the savings worth the hassle of having no gears to dive with? That's a question you must ask yourself.

3. If you're out in the middle of nowhere and no LDS around, you have no recourse but to go with an on-line outfit.

Do not let anyone scare you away from buying scuba gear online. I bought a complete setup for myself and the wife at Scubatoys. They had everything that I wanted and gave me a great deal. My wife's Zena BC didn't fit, so they sent the correct size before even getting the BC back. It's your money, so spend it the way you want. If spending an extra 1k at the LDS makes you feel better then do it. It always amuses me how it's just bad etiquette to check out stuff at the LDS and then buy online. Some items such as masks can cost close to twice as much at a LDS. I just cannot rationalize spending more money for the same item just to help the LDS.

Let me distill some of these issues down for ya, if I may:

1. Do you have good LDS? If yes, then support them, if no then buy on line.

Define good

2. If you buy online and save a bunch of money and the things were to go ****-up, who's going to lend you the gears to keep on diving while warranty is being resolved? Are the savings worth the hassle of having no gears to dive with? That's a question you must ask yourself.

The LDS I used to have would have gladly rented me gear, but lend it?!? Ha!

3. If you're out in the middle of nowhere and no LDS around, you have no recourse but to go with an on-line outfit.

And if you are surrounded by a bunch of LDSs stuck in the 80s, you have more choices than what is just there.

There is more than one view to each point. You must be fortunate to have a good LDS by you. I am also fortunate to now have a good LDS 10 minutes from me. However, for several years I was driving over 2 hours to deal with an LDS that was better than my local one, but still not all that great. Online worked much better for me.

the total online came to about $3200 with shipping, the total at the store after tax was about $3900. that's more than just the tax. (i am buying 2 sets of gear, for me and my wife) the dive puter i want was $350 online and at the shop was over $600. the regulators were pretty close as was the bc i got. my shop does the same thing w/ letting u have loaner equip while something is being repaired so that's nice too. if they couldn't come down, i probably would have bought some of the stuff at the shop but most of it online.

How did you arrive at that online price? By using the published internet price? Be aware that many online shops will negotiate or offer discounts as well. For instance, Scubatoys and Divers Supply and Dive Sports (and others, sorry if I omitted somebody) offer Scubaboard members an additional 10% off on most things. That $3200 might have been $2900 and some online retailers offer free shipping.

Me and most of the guys I know who are active divers with several hundred dives have extras of everything we own. In my case, if my reg acts up (and I can't adjust it) I'll just use one of the other 5 regs I own until I get around to shipping it off. Of course not everyone is a gear junkie and not everyone desires to learn how to maintain and fix their own stuff but different strokes for different folks.

The point I'm making is, I don't look at it as a LDS vs DDS winner takes all. Each major purchase is a unique transaction.

The problem is that many local dive shops do not see it that way. I've seen countless threads here from divers who got lectured or even banned from a shop because they purchased some of the stuff online, even though they may have also purchased some of their stuff at that shop. Too many shops see it like a marriage, where any instance of unfaithfulness can destroy the entire relationship.

The problem is that many local dive shops do not see it that way. I've seen countless threads here from divers who got lectured or even banned from a shop because they purchased some of the stuff online, even though they may have also purchased some of their stuff at that shop. Too many shops see it like a marriage, where any instance of unfaithfulness can destroy the entire relationship.

Marriage:confused: I was thinking something more one-way. Like maybe owning a dog. Who wants a disloyal dog?

True, I've heard and read many of those stories as well and I wouldn't be doing business with that shop in that situation, I have too many options around here (local and distant).

True, I've heard and read many of those stories as well and I wouldn't be doing business with that shop in that situation, I have too many options around here (local and distant).

Exactly. You can't lump every LDS or every on-line store in together. You have to judge each of them on their own merits. My LDS have never lied to me, have always treated me the same from buying a $20 lanyard to a $2000 set of gears. The guy has been a diver for forty years now and is a fount of information on diving techniques and tips (try to get those advises from an on-line dealer or from a large retail LDS that hires minimum-wage kids to staff the floors with).

has anyone ordered from joedivers.com? they seem even cheaper than scubatoys

Also, the LDS upsets me, when they charge 69$+material for a regulator service. Thats like robbery!

I think I may have to learn how to do it myself. Can't be that difficult!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom