Online scuba stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a pretty recent addition to the list because they weren't on it a few months back.

Yeah I know, surprised me as well.

well i priced all my stuff online and matched it vs the LDS. it was $700 cheaper. i emailed my LDS and gave them a chance to make me a deal. he dropped it down quite a bit, within a couple hundred. im gonna go w/ them.

well i priced all my stuff online and matched it vs the LDS. it was $700 cheaper. i emailed my LDS and gave them a chance to make me a deal. he dropped it down quite a bit, within a couple hundred. im gonna go w/ them.

The difference between online and my LDS is usually the tax. The LDS can't waive it, but can usually match the on-line price, which is fine by me. I will gladly pay a little bit over for the added service.

If my regulator were to be screwed up, the LDS would either give me an immediate replacement and handle mine own with the manufacturer. Or if that's not possible, they'd lend me their rental regulator until warranty issues are resolved. Not that I've had to do any warranty work on any of my gear (yet), but it's nice to know that there is this safety net to catch me. Scuba Toys, Leisure Pro, et al, aren't going to be able to lend me any gear to tie me over until warranties are resolved and equipment fixed.

I can't say the same about all LDS but mine would lend me gears for free while my order came in. I got wetsuit, regulator and BC lended to me free of charge because my orders weren't in but I wanted to go diving. I wanted to pay but they insisted on not charging me.

The difference between online and my LDS is usually the tax. The LDS can't waive it, but can usually match the on-line price, which is fine by me. I will gladly pay a little bit over for the added service.

If my regulator were to be screwed up, the LDS would either give me an immediate replacement and handle mine own with the manufacturer. Or if that's not possible, they'd lend me their rental regulator until warranty issues are resolved. Not that I've had to do any warranty work on any of my gear (yet), but it's nice to know that there is this safety net to catch me. Scuba Toys, Leisure Pro, et al, aren't going to be able to lend me any gear to tie me over until warranties are resolved and equipment fixed.

I can't say the same about all LDS but mine would lend me gears for free while my order came in. I got wetsuit, regulator and BC lended to me free of charge because my orders weren't in but I wanted to go diving. I wanted to pay but they insisted on not charging me.

the total online came to about $3200 with shipping, the total at the store after tax was about $3900. that's more than just the tax. (i am buying 2 sets of gear, for me and my wife) the dive puter i want was $350 online and at the shop was over $600. the regulators were pretty close as was the bc i got. my shop does the same thing w/ letting u have loaner equip while something is being repaired so that's nice too. if they couldn't come down, i probably would have bought some of the stuff at the shop but most of it online.

After shopping a half dozen LDS in my area, call me a big online shopper. I think you need to do more homework when shopping online and some items such as a mask are better left buying locally, but the big ticket items at least near me are significantly cheaper online and I would not look past used gear either. I get the service issues, but we are mostly talking about regulators here and there are numerous online stores that that will do service on those and aren't really any slower or more expensive.

I would also point out that practically every LDS I visited pushed equipment that they prefer and fits my budget rather than what would actually be best for me. For example, I haven't had one place offer up a BPW without me having to ask for it and most places try to talk me out of it. In at least four places, I felt like I was walking into a bad used car shop.

I am a new diver and looking into purchasing recreational scuba equipment. I see the online stores are just so much better than LDS in price. What are the pro and con of online stores?

Thanks in advance

Call Leisurepro or Scubatoys, and have them put a package together. All the authorized retailer can only advertise online the Minimum Advertise Price (MAP) that the manufacturer requires them to do. But if you call them and have them package it, you will get better price. It is way less headaches then having to try to haggle with a LDS to get a better price. The economy is in the crapper, not everyone has money to burn.

Also the Big Online retailers carry more brands, so you have more choices.

After shopping a half dozen LDS in my area, call me a big online shopper. I think you need to do more homework when shopping online and some items such as a mask are better left buying locally, but the big ticket items at least near me are significantly cheaper online and I would not look past used gear either. I get the service issues, but we are mostly talking about regulators here and there are numerous online stores that that will do service on those and aren't really any slower or more expensive.

I would also point out that practically every LDS I visited pushed equipment that they prefer and fits my budget rather than what would actually be best for me. For example, I haven't had one place offer up a BPW without me having to ask for it and most places try to talk me out of it. In at least four places, I felt like I was walking into a bad used car shop.

Yeah, I have had that experience too.

Another experience, I know what I want, but they try to talk down about it in a round about way to try to talk me into something that is more expensive or about another brand that they would get a better profit margin on. Not everyone that walks in are newbie or LDS fanatics. Some of us know what we want, the lds could try to cater to our needs.

1st time actually on SB. Hope ya-all don't mind if I jump into this can of worms? I have some burning ?s regarding the same line of this thread.

Go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom