Online Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They both completed their certification at different dive shops in two different states. There was no test.

No worries, they dived Nitrox during our recent trip and survived to tell the tale. The truth is, diving Nitrox comes down to 1) analyzing a tank which is easier than reading the time off your watch and 2) knowing the MOD for a given blend.The truth is, when you're boat diving with most Ops, they do all the work anyway and the diver is pretty much just double checking their work and adding their initials to a box on a clipboard that's got the MOD right there.

It's not rocket science.
Right it's not rocket science. But a person using it should know and be sure of what they are doing. If they have an accident using nitrox be sure to tell their families to look at the facility that issued the certification for $$$$$$ compensation being standards were violated and they have a good case. Boat dive with any operator the diver is still responsible to analyze the mix they are using. Anything else is negligent. Absolutely a test is required. I am a IDCS instructor with over 40 years of being an instructor.

I've said this before, but although "it's not rocket science" I think going through the motions of analyzing, etc., with an instructor emphasizes to the diver that analyzing is not another one of those things that we cynical divers discover is taught in class but rarely done out in the real world. Analyzing is easy and takes just minutes, but it IS a big deal. In the real world people have died from failure to analyze and otherwise follow the protocol.

I found some value in actually being shown how to handle the analyzer, calibrate it with air if necessary, and then go through the motions of actually filling out a sticker with F02, MOD, my initials, and date. In a shop, there's often a log on a clipboard to fill out with the same information. It's a protocol, and the diver should come away from the course with the impression that even outside of a class setting this protocol is taken seriously.

If they have an accident using nitrox

You've been an instructor for 40 years and probably diving even longer than that, so let me ask you this.

In all that time have you ever seen, read, experienced, or heard of a diver on open circuit scuba having an accident that was directly related to improper use of Nitrox?

You've been an instructor for 40 years and probably diving even longer than that, so let me ask you this.

In all that time have you ever seen, read, experienced, or heard of a diver on open circuit scuba having an accident that was directly related to improper use of Nitrox?
That's a really good question, and the answer is a little complicated.

First of all, improper use of nitrox is a serious problem in technical diving. It usually involves using the wrong mix at depth, and the most common reason is a mistake in what was in the tank being breathed. There have been a number of such incidents, and the details of those incidents are instructive in terms of a complete reply to the question, as I will explain later.

The one recreational diving incident I do know of is actually the reverse of your question--a diver intended to dive nitrox, made a last minute switch to air, forgot to changes his computer, and got bent because he dived air to nitrox limits. But that is not really what you are talking about, is it? You are asking about oxygen toxicity.

CNS Oxygen toxicity is a consequence of breathing too high a partial pressure of Oxygen for too long. People tend to forget there is a time element involved--you don't dip below your MOD for a few seconds and go into convulsions. The problem is we can't accurately predict what PPO2 and what length of time are going to cause a problem. In the tech diving incidents I know, the time was longer than one would expect. In one case, a diver took EANx 50 to about 200 feet and was diving it for a surprisingly long time before toxing. In another case, a diver thought he had air in his doubles and dived at about 160 feet for about 20 minutes before trouble hit--he had EANx 36 instead of air. In another case, a diver insisted his stage bottle had air and dived it at about 100 feet for a while before the pure oxygen it actually contained did him in.

So let's say we had a recreational diver with an AL 80 diving with 36%, which has a standard MOD of 90 feet (1.4 standard) and a contingency depth of 110 feet (1.6 standard). According to PADI nitrox tables, his NDL for 90 feet is 40 minutes, but with an AL 80, he certainly won't be there that long. If he violates his MOD and goes to 100 feet instead, the longest he could stay there with a very good SAC rate is 30 minutes. Will that be enough to put him over the edge? Let's say he thinks he is diving air and goes to 120 feet. His air NDL is 13 minutes there, but he will probably be ascending before that because of gas supply limits.

In short, for a recreational diver with an AL 80, the gas supply will greatly limit the chances of oxygen toxicity, assuming that the fill is within the normal range for recreational nitrox. If you think you are diving air and accidentally have nitrox, the air NDLs will also limit the risk. It is still possible though, so no one should intentionally violate the standard limits. Increase the size of the tanks or get fills beyond the recreational limits, and the potential changes.

Thank you for that detailed post John, which does a much better job of illustrating my intended point than I have done, many times in the past.

For all practical purposes. 02 toxicity is a nonissue for non technical, open circuit scuba divers because the gas supply will be the limiting factor long before 02 exposure is even close to being a problem.

Which is why I set my computer to a P02 of 1.6 and don't worry all that much about dropping deeper than the number that was in the box below the heading of "MOD" that I initialed on the boat prior to the dive.

For all practical purposes. 02 toxicity is a nonissue for non technical, open circuit scuba divers because the gas supply will be the limiting factor long before 02 exposure is even close to being a problem.

Which is why I set my computer to a P02 of 1.6 and don't worry all that much about dropping deeper than the number that was in the box below the heading of "MOD" that I initialed on the boat prior to the dive.

"Never ascribe to wisdom that which is adequately explained by good luck." -- 2air's Razor.

is the certification obtained online honored for fills at all LDS's or do they deny fills based on that credential?

Some LDSs and charters will not honor certifications that lack the imprimatur of one of the major agencies (PADI, SSI, SDI, NAUI, CMAS, BSAC). Depends on the boat. Depends on the day.

"Never ascribe to wisdom that which is adequately explained by good luck." -- 2air's Razor.

"Good Luck" has nothing to do with a recreational diver avoiding an 02 hit because they ignored MOD limits.

It has everything to do with 02 toxicity being a non issue for recreational single tank divers, because as John explained above, the gas supply is by far the limiting factor and a diver will ascend long before they get even close to levels of 02 that can cause a CNS hit, providing they are breathing a blend of Nitrox that is in the 36% range or less.

It's like saying it's "good luck" that you haven't been hit by an asteroid.

I'm gonna chime in here. I took the PADI Nitrox online course. As soon as I was done, I felt like I had been completely ripped off. I paid essentially double what it would have cost to have taken it in person. Sure I learned all the important aspects of Nitrox, and felt absolutely well enough informed. It just cost way way too much. I would highly recommend finding a local dive shop, and have them give you the course.

Yes it does happen ..improper mix at fill station, depth beyond mod..happened here in NY to a store owner years ago. He was diving for lobster, used wrong mix at depth, dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom