Ongoing discussion of Ratio Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing in your latest posts that is different from what "we" do is:
-Choice of gasmixes (lets not get into that)
-Missed wreck (propably)
-Deco-profile (unless we go way off plan we´ll just do the time)
-Calculations (V-planner or JDeco does that for us)

Maybe I shouldn´t expect too much but "everyone" raves about DIR & RD and the only difference from what I do and you do is those 4 things? Permit me to be dissapointed...

What you're missing is that when I say "rockbottom is 1100 psi" (66cf) in HP100s, Limeyx knows exactly how I arrived at that number and is comfortable with its consequences.

Or I say, "max 170 for 20 mins right?" He knows the consequences of those two numbers on our mutual plan.

Yes we go over them in more detail for a new buddy. But its not rocket science. And you have to trust that if your buddy is confused by something (or you get it wrong) you'll stop and redo everything. On paper, whatever.

At least 1/3rd of being "DIR" is having a team attitude towards the plan. From DIRF it all comes down to environment-equipment-team. If your team is confused, or not similarly trained, or without comparable experience, or with inconsistent equipment... The system doesn't work.

RD is just one peice and it can't work without more pieces of the pie to support it. And standard gases are really just the tip of the iceberg.

grazie42:
The only thing in your latest posts that is different from what "we" do is:
-Choice of gasmixes (lets not get into that)
-Missed wreck (propably)
-Deco-profile (unless we go way off plan we´ll just do the time)
-Calculations (V-planner or JDeco does that for us)

Maybe I shouldn´t expect too much but "everyone" raves about DIR & RD and the only difference from what I do and you do is those 4 things? Permit me to be dissapointed...

All I can say from this is "Take the class" at this point. I do admit it's hard to "get" over the internet. Taking the class(es) is probably going to be the only way to "see the light" I guess :)

you know, if RD uses an algorithmic process to generate decompression profiles given bottom time then it should be entirely possible to write a computer program which is a complete implementation of the RD specification. if you cannot do that, it is either incompletely specified or else its voodoo...

so, where is the RD diveplanner?

lamont:
you know, if RD uses an algorithmic process to generate decompression profiles given bottom time then it should be entirely possible to write a computer program which is a complete implementation of the RD specification. if you cannot do that, it is either incompletely specified or else its voodoo...

I haven't tried, so maybe you are correct....

But I'd guess that with a bit of work one could take the "rules" of RD and convert them into a spread sheet (with a look up table or two) and end up with a automated number cruncher that would produce schedules based on average depth, BT, etc.

That's really all that the users are doing now either in their heads or "long hand" with a pencil and paper.

That might be interesting to attempt. I find that when I do reduce a set of "rules" to numbers I frequently learn more about the rules, or at least I am better able to spot patterns, i.e. when I'm done with the spread sheet I don't need it anymore.

One of the practical benefits of using RD is you can leave the laptop / palmtop etc. at home.

Tobin

RD diveplanner is Wetnotes and a "Pop-a-point" pencil. Profile & schedule can be generated anywhere on Land, in the Water, or at Depth. . .

rjack321:
Personally, I do view deco science as black magic. Esp. since all the "scientifically valid" methods either bend and mend, don't work, make you feel horrible, etc. I'll take methods which get me out of the water feeling like 100 bucks over theoretical science every day.
' wrong, wrong, wrong attitude' according to Phil K.....

(I was out diving two days, so just catching up on this thread.:eyebrow: )

lamont:

I think that any capable programmer, myself not being one, could write some code that would implement the RD diveplanner based on the specifications described in the ratio deco pdf. It's mainly simple math.

I could probably write simple web based application in php or perl on for profiles within 100 - 150 range.

cool_hardware52:
That might be interesting to attempt. I find that when I do reduce a set of "rules" to numbers I frequently learn more about the rules, or at least I am better able to spot patterns, i.e. when I'm done with the spread sheet I don't need it anymore.

exactly. and trying to do an implementation can highlight areas where the specification is incomplete. i also often find that reading through someone's implementation is often a lot easier to learn off of than reading a specification.

Meng_Tze:
' wrong, wrong, wrong attitude' according to Phil K.....

(I was out diving two days, so just catching up on this thread.:eyebrow: )

So who you gotta trust :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom