one type of torch that will never leak,unless the shell is crushed by the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagle z

Registered
Reaction score
I soak it in the water for one month and it keep it's inner space dry.the shell is made by entire solid alumnium club,and it has only one hatch on the forehead.you can have a look through the mirror when you are diving in the cave to make sure that it has't leak,so it's very safe when using in the cave diving.the waterproof structure is make use of the water pressure to strengthen the water resistance ability,unless the shell is crushed by the water pressure,it will never leak!

battery:26650 3.7v
LED: cree Q5
waterproof:500m water resistance
thick of the shell: at least 3mm.

the light function:
short press key cycle:shut_weak light(150mA)_strong light(350mA)_shut.
long press for a second:when shut,it will turn to give a tip by the times it flash:5 times for above 80% battery energy,4 times for above 60% energy,and so on,when the tip complete,it will turn to the strong light automatically;when in the weak light,it will turn to strong flash(700mA),at this status,a short press will be back to weak light;when strong light,it will turn to a super strong light(700mA) for 10 seconds,after 10 seconds,it will turn to strong light automatically.

the appearance
2011-09-16_17-50-50_440.jpg

near the surface
2011-10-25_19-44-12_60 (800x598).jpg

in the water
2011-10-25_19-50-15_124 (800x602).jpg

at the bottom of the fishing lake
2011-10-25_21-04-21_748 (800x600).jpg

more information, please view my personal website: www.meeagle.com
there are more pictures and videos and description.

Last edited:
Made in China I guess. Where does it retail from?

Any professional/user reviews yet?

not retail yet, it's just made out and retail will need some more time. but I had sent one to someone(now arrive CINCINNATI), he promise to fetch underwater photos for this torch. I hope it will work well.

The looks of the photos produces a positive reaction for me, but I can't get farther than the first sentence in your description without my "watch-out for BS" flag goes up.
You can have many things in a bucket of water soaking for much longer than a month and be fine, only to get them flood within the first handful of feet (one meter or two).
Water by itself is not generally the problem. Water pressure is the one that gets you. For something rated to 500m resistance, either remove that first sentence of the description or make it sound a bit more consequential.

If there are O-rings, even if they are static, they will eventually leak. Static does not mean that the O-ring never moves. They move in the groove with every pressure cycle. Salt and debris will invade the wet-side of the static O-ring seat and compromise it. Never is a long time.

How do charge or change batteries?

it's not use O-ring,but other structure that is demanding patent. this structure use the water pressure to strengthen resistance, so the deeper the better resistance, until the shell be crush by the water.

batery is taked out from the fore of the torch, needing to ciucumvolve a screw thread of a part fix the reflector. that's not very convenient, but I would say that the purpose of this design is to make sure if the user use it in cave diving, he can look through the transparent piece to check whether if the torch is leaking for bad assembly or other stupid reason(the torch has only this one hatch),it's more safe in this case, isn't it?

it's not use O-ring,but other structure that is demanding patent. this structure use the water pressure to strengthen resistance, so the deeper the better resistance, until the shell be crush by the water.

batery is taked out from the fore of the torch, needing to ciucumvolve a screw thread of a part fix the reflector. that's not very convenient, but I would say that the purpose of this design is to make sure if the user use it in cave diving, he can look through the transparent piece to check whether if the torch is leaking for bad assembly or other stupid reason(the torch has only this one hatch),it's more safe in this case, isn't it?

Your profile doesn’t indicate your location but I suspect that English is not your native language. Assuming that is correct, I believe the title of this post is causing a lot of skepticism. Most divers know that O-rings virtually never leak unless there is a manufacturing flaw, not maintained, or incorrect assembly. The title of your post implies that your light is hermetically sealed. “Never” implies “impossible” to many people.

Posting images of features you feel are unique and important would help. I don’t understand what makes your product better after reading your description and studying your photo. Good luck with your new product.

so, the title is not accurate? maybe. and you are right, English is not my native language.
and do you mean that if manutacture maintained and assembly correctly, that torch will not leak? but what if the O-ring be wiredraw partially? at the same time, as you know that if the O-ring is design to be very compactly, it's will be hard to screw and the O-ring will be easy to be destroyed. and if the O-ring isn't compact hardly, that narrow length of the contact surface with little pressure won't lead to a big water resistance, so O-ring structure isn't a good maner at diving torch, do you agree with this?

O-rings do require some skill and knowledge to use and maintain. Some designs are more difficult than others. However we have no way of knowing if your design is better, worse, or the same. I look forward to learning more.

At least in English speaking cultures, it is rarely good to set expectations too high. Your first post could lead a customer to think that this light could never leak. Any manufacture will have products slip through their quality checks and don’t underestimate customers to do really stupid things. Never is a powerful word and indicates impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom