one of the coolest things we saw this trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to argue with you, but you're intentions are good, but you're mixing up 2 different problems.

It is very important to get control of the lionfish problem. WE humans cannot control them the way the fish can control them. The problem is that Caribbean fish don't know what they are, that they can kill them and eat them, what they taste like, etc, because they have never encountered them. In the Pacific it is no problem. The fish there eat lionfish when they are young, before they become poisonous monsters. THAT is the point in Cozumel right now.... teach the fish that lionfish are food, that they taste good, here is what they smell like and taste like, get a taste.

Most of what you're saying is based on assumptions about the how and why of a situation in Indo Pacific without any real scientific evidence. Nobody really knows exactly why lionfish are not a problem there. It's not a problem so nobody has spent any time figuring it out. Assumptions are that other fish are eating the lionfish and keeping them in check. There isn't really any evidence to support this, it sounds logical but that doesn't make it true. It could have to do with something totally different, water temperatures, genetics, egg producing patterns, currents, water depth... the reasons could be simple or complicated, but morays and groupers are eating them all is an assumption.

It is a far better solution than letting them decimate the entire juvenile fish population like they are doing all over the Caribbean right now.

No not really, there is a control process that is working in the marine park and it doesn't have anything to do with feeding lionfish to marine life. It's the culling of lionfish by dedicated dive masters on most dives.

Go to a place like Bonaire right now... they are in trouble. Lionfish are everywhere you go, every dive, every depth. We saw at least 1 lionfish on every dive there last year! Every dive! And no DM was there to kill them and it is illegal for diveres to kill them. We told our dive shop every time we saw them, and their response was that it was the Marine Park's duty to go out and kill them and that they go to every reef for that. Well, we saw the Marine Park divers at one dive site, and they had at least 6 lionfish on a string that they had killed. That was the only time we saw them all week and it was at the closest reef to their office. I hope that was not a sign of how well they are trying to control the problem. Especially because it was only 2 divers. IMHO they need to send 2 divers to every dive site on Bonaire every day.

As has been said, every country in the Caribbean has an attitude of they are the first ones to deal with the problem. Each has separately determined their own solutions as if they are operating in a vacuum. For political or economic or their own reasons they ignore most of what other countries have been doing and seem to want to reinvent the wheel through trial and error.

[/QUOTE]If you consider Cozumel's way of control... every DM is trained on how to kill them and encouraged to do so. If dive sites like Palancar Gardens see a dozen dive groups a day minimum, then there are a dozen DMs looking for lionfish there, and killing them. Ditto every other reef. Some reefs don't see as many divers, but the regular lionfish derby boats seem to hit those hard and are successful.

robin[/QUOTE]

Yes, the dive master program in the marine park is culling the lionfish on the dive sites at recreational depths and doing a good job, however that doesn't mean that it should be combined with a misguided method of hand feeding lionfish to marine life to teach them to eat them on their own.

Really, don't want to beat a dead horse but when you get a chance, just spend some time reading about the problem, there have been plenty of studies over the years and lots of real world reports of what fish feeding does. You're probably just not aware of the real nasty ramifications of it. A lot of it has been hinted at on these threads but there is plenty of information out there to alert anyone who wants to know how bad an idea it is. And then secondly there is also lots of information about how this handfeeding doesn't work, has not shown any positive results. Consider that lionfish have been marching north up the east coast and south into the gulf and the Caribbean for about 10 years now. The Bahamas were the first places to be forced to deal with them, there is plenty of legacy information about what has been tried over the last 10 years and the results. We still don't have a really good grasp of lionfish and what they are all about, but over the last 10 years there has been some forward momentum. If you spend some time learning about this problem you'll discover the test reefs being monitored, and about a dozen different theories being considered in regard to how to deal with them. There is even the theory that leaving them alone is the answer, and test reefs being monitored to discover if that's really the solution. Lots of interesting information out there, and hopefully if you spend the time looking into it you'll realize that dive masters feeding lionfish to marine life is not even in the ball park of the answer to the problem. It's a great show and dive masters love to do it for the tips it generates from excited photographers who get some exciting footage.

Correct, but the killing and feeding them back to fish is not assisting in teaching the other fish anything but how to be fed by humans......

Wish some serious research was being done on how to get native fish to eat the babies/juv lion fish.

At best the current method is a stop gap, and I imagine outside the regular dive spots in the park the buggers are rampant, thus why I think encouraging human consumption is one of THE best bets.

If you want to make something extinct.........TEACH HUMANS TO EAT IT! :)

Correct, but the killing and feeding them back to fish is not assisting in teaching the other fish anything but how to be fed by humans......

Wish some serious research was being done on how to get native fish to eat the babies/juv lion fish.

At best the current method is a stop gap, and I imagine outside the regular dive spots in the park the buggers are rampant, thus why I think encouraging human consumption is one of THE best bets.

If you want to make something extinct.........TEACH HUMANS TO EAT IT! :)

unfortunately, we need to get rid of the lionfish before they become large enough to produce enough meat to make this a great option. Yes, you can eat them, but most that are taken in Cozumel water are small, and once boned, there really isn't that much meat.
I have seen some great cookout photos from NC and Florida, so it is a great option at times when you can get large numbers of people in the water hunting them. If Fishermen would do that, go out on scuba and kill them, not fun recreational dives, but divers going down specifically to kill lionfish, then they might could find a gold mine of them on the east side in Cozumel. But how cost effective would that be really?
IMHO, the best bet is to get the local fish to start eating them. It will happen eventually, and the reef fish will probably come back in great number again once that happens, but how many decades will it take?

Mike - I wasn't born yesterday and I have read alot about the issue, been diving in both Carib and Pacific for 12+ years. Don't assume I am ignorant.

robin

I was feeding the lionfish to other animals that we thought would become predators. Maybe the issue of the animals becoming too tame and coming up for handouts was enough for me to see that I should start releasing the dead lionfish to whatever would eat its' carcass. And that's what I do now. Except I do give the anemones the odd dinner. Ya ya my bad.:cool2::D

Last edited:
It is an outstanding pic of the lobster, and killing lions has to help some, but teaching fish to do anything other than follow divers for handouts is not happening anywhere. Kill the lions, drop them for the crabs and lobsters, teach tourists to do it right, but don't make it for what it can't be...

I think we should start feeding them to anemones. Let's see those little guys start following the group!

Mike - I wasn't born yesterday and I have read alot about the issue, been diving in both Carib and Pacific for 12+ years. Don't assume I am ignorant.

robin

- your diving experience in the Carib and Pacific doesn't supercede the findings of marine biologists.

Feel free to post any scientific study you can find that shows after 10 years of trying that any marine animal has been taught to eat lion fish.

Or don't and just keep falsely accusing people of calling you ignorant and attacking you.

Actually, if you could get the lobsters to start following divers around and begging for food, it would be kind of cute.

- your diving experience in the Carib and Pacific doesn't supercede the findings of marine biologists.

Feel free to post any scientific study you can find that shows after 10 years of trying that any marine animal has been taught to eat lion fish.

Or don't and just keep falsely accusing people of calling you ignorant and attacking you.

I never said there are scientific studies showing feeding lionfish to other fish is teaching them to eat them. That is not going to happen in the scientific community for many years. Tests are being done, for sure, but it will take time to get statistical results published.

here is a good article about the problem:
Lionfish Invasion Threatens Coral Reefs in the Atlantic and Caribbean | WRI Insights

And I refuse to stick my head in the sand and pretend these creatures are not eating all the baby fish everywhere in the Caribbean. Something has to happen to slow it down, for nature to take its course and the local fish to start controlling them, and at least the Cozumel DMs and Marine Park are trying. I give them big kudos for TRYING. We will not know for sure if it is working to control the lionfish, if the local fish are actually hunting them on their own, except by personal diver observation of it.

But as I have said... I visited Cozumel in 2009, and 2010, then again this year. I saw many more lionfish big and small the first two years. I saw many less this year. The DM we discussed this with said the lionfish are getting sneaking and going deep during the daytime, to avoid spearing. So the lionfish are learning? Don't know if this is true, or if it is wishful thinking by the DMs. Or could it be there are just less of them now, that the local fish are started to control them by eating the babies? Don't know. But I am willing to go back down to Cozumel and do my own personal research!! :wink:

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom