One missing after pirate boat sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats do sink, and passengers would be well served to accept that risk and take precautions. For every boat trip, each one should ask...
"Where are your life vests?"
Salty Endeavors boats carry several in the overhead netting, but I think most will be watching their steps and tending to cameras & gear so may not notice, so - Ask. I have been on boats that didn't stock any. One Roatan operator tried to take us across the channel with none, but I refused - got some off of my regular dive boat.* Experiences will vary, but results will tend to go better if you always ask. They probably have plenty, but find out where before a need may arise, or if they don't - get off of that boat.

And maybe count the vests. FB chatter reports that the deceased gave his to a family member. The trip was to celebrate his birthday.

* That trip actually went downhill from there, but I'll skip that story.

We were at Serenos when the storm hit. We left our house close to 6:20 and it was not raining and no wind. At 6:35 it was a monsoon. We had just sat down. The wind and the rain were unbelievable. Everyone at Serenos was huddled in the back corner by the kitchen. We could not see the huge cruise ship up the street and could barely see the water. Apparently there were storm warnings at 4 and port closed at 6. Very sorry to hear about the loss of life. Hopefully the others in the hospital will recover quickly. Horrified watching videos of the pirate ship, amazed it did not sink. I hope there are repercussions for such careless behavior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom