One missing after pirate boat sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
By pirate, I don't mean the dinner ship. FB chatter says the boat was not licensed, overloaded, carrying locals to Cielo, and was still there at 6pm even tho the port authority wanted of closing the port at 6pm and all boats need to be back in their marinas. Some of these rumors may be correct.

1644422274335.png

Cozumel, Q.R. — On Tuesday afternoon, Cozumel Port and Civil Protection authorities became aware of an accident that involved a tourist boat sinking with people on board. The vessel Bucéfalos sank in the southern part of the island near Playa Palancar.

At least nine people were onboard the vessel when it took on water. Five minors and four adults were taken to hospital in waiting ambulances after emergency personnel located the sunken boat.

According to preliminary information, the Secretary of the Navy implemented a search for one adult male, surname Guillén, reported as missing from the boat after it sank. An exact number of the people onboard the vessel at the time remains unclear.

Unfavorable weather is said to have caused the boat Bucéfalos to sink.

Well that's very sad to read. Hopefully it has a better ending than what the story leads you to expect.

prayers for all involved in this

A week ago wednesday another snorkel boat, La Perla (not Papa Hogs La perla) was sunk after it was swamp by a passing boat. Not sure of the licence status of either but I am suspecting they were both pirate boats. The parks licencing regulations do not seem to be enforced by the Armada and this is becoming unsafe. Unfortunately the legal boats that are kept up to standards and carry safety equipment are tarred by the same broad brush when these events happen.

On C4U, a local dive shop owner says the body of a man, a retired Cozumel policeman not a tourist, has been recovered. He gives his name but I'm not sure that belongs here. The passengers were locals celebrating a birthday not tourists, not that it matters.

You can all the details you care to know on this FB Cozumel news page. Bei Facebook anmelden

Isn't Cielo like 4' deep?

Regardless, my heart and prayers go out to all those affected.

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

Same name as in the original story?
Didn't notice that but yes, except they give the full name and age.

Isn't Cielo like 4' deep?

Regardless, my heart and prayers go out to all those affected.

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
Yes, when you are on that underwater shelf that comes out 100 yards or so from shore, but I believe the boat in question was en route to or from that area in much deeper water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom